shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it safe to ship it? or pay tax and pick it up?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pons

Rough_Rock
Ok folks, i have learned so much from here.

I am about to purchase a beautiful diamond at a reputable place here in NY- but here''s the dilemma. Since I live in NY, if i pick it up in teh store, they will charge me Tax! and that''s almost ~1K in TAX!

however, teh option is i can have it shipped out of state - let''s say to family in NJ -- and that will save the tax. How safe is shipping a diamond ?? how COMfortable do you feel to ship such an expensive thing? perhaps Fed ex may just drop if off on teh doorstep! that''s crazy!

let me know your thoughts, for me, with my setting and diamond, the tax in ny would be about 1300 or something

thanks,

pons

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I hear this is a common practice & should be fine to do. My friend did the same with a diamond found in LA & had it shipped to another state to buy it to avoid the high sales tax. I think my friend was not charged for the stone until it reached the other state & she had it in her possession. You may want to require that jeweler do this for you. She may have put down a deposit to have it sent out.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Recently, my FI had my diamond studs shipped to us from Whiteflash. They sent them to a pick up center, so the stones wouldn''t be left on the doorstep. He then picked the diamonds up from the center. I think it is safe to do, but I would make sure that the package is insured and that specific instructions are given not to leave the package if nobody is home.

I would certainly do it if I could save a grand that could be put toward other jewelry
2.gif

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
I just had my upgrade diamond shipped to the next state and saved a bundle in tax (9% in Illinois--ridiculous!). But make sure it's on your insurance the day that it gets shipped. It will be (or should be) insured for full value by the shipper so it is the responsiblity of the shipping company until it gets signed for on the other side, but once it's out of the shipping company's hands you bear the burden of it getting lost/stolen/damaged/etc.

And yes, put that extra $ toward more jewelry or a killer setting!

Midnight00

Rough_Rock
Hi. We buy from a jeweler in Boston (we live in Manhattan), and we only ship our jewelry to save on sales tax. My engagement ring and diamond earrings were sent via fedex, and then our wedding bands were sent via registered mail. I wouldn''t worry, as long as it is insured, and save the $$..

Good luck!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Many of us purchase online so diamonds are shipped all the time. I''ve only had my diamond a few months and have already shipped it 3 times registered mail. Fed Ex will leave it at the station for you to pick up if no release is put on the package. Plus is will be insured so no worries.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results