shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it safe to buy off a GIA cert vs actually seeing the stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anika

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,
One jeweller I have talked to can purchase stones from a De Beers site holder database of GIA certed stones overseas. However this means you have to buy off the GIA grade and are comitted to the stone once it is ordered into the country. Is it safe to buy like this vs looking at the stone? GiA is reputable so is it okay to buy this way?
Thanks in advance

Anika

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t commit to buying until you have more information. just because the jeweler threw out terms like ''site holder'' and ''overseas'' doesn''t mean you are going to be able to get a better diamond for less money. find out all you can about the diamond(s) and what the price will be. you may still be better off buying online and you will have more information.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Anika,

Don't do it.

If their policy is no returns, your policy should be no sales.

There are plenty of high quality dealers that will be thrilled to make a better offer than this. It's not about GIA.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Buying a diamond based on a cert is like buying a car from across the street or buying a house without going in it.
It makes no sense at all.

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2006 5:48:08 AM
Author:anika
Hi there,
One jeweller I have talked to can purchase stones from a De Beers site holder database of GIA certed stones overseas. However this means you have to buy off the GIA grade and are comitted to the stone once it is ordered into the country. Is it safe to buy like this vs looking at the stone? GiA is reputable so is it okay to buy this way?
Thanks in advance

Anika
I would suggest anyone not to finalize a purchase of a diamond with out looking/visualizing/feeling the diamond first. (period)

Its much more acceptable to purchase RB diamonds with credible reports, but if you are on the market for any other shape than rounds, sorry to tell you GIA or anyone else for this matter is only a paper with numbers..., You cannot visualize fancy shape diamonds based on their reports!!!

A lot of jewelers have access to other dealers inventory, and "sight holders" alike, and i the diamond industry it is common that dealers purchase diamonds without seeing them first, but that is their business.

try to avoid this situation.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2006 5:17:49 PM
Author: DiaGem

A lot of jewelers have access to other dealers inventory, and 'sight holders' alike, and i the diamond industry it is common that dealers purchase diamonds without seeing them first, but that is their business.
It's very unusual for a jeweler to buy a diamond for inventory sight unseen without including the right to return it if there is some problem after they get to actually see the stone. At the very least, they can refuse to buy from that supplier again unless they make it right. At the dealer level this is a powerful incentive to treat clients reasonably. At the consumer level this is much less of a concern since very few consumers can be expected to make a continuous stream of repeat purchases. No refunds for any reason is not a policy of a wholesaler who expects to remain in business.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just say NO!

Even though you can go by paper more for rb than for fancy shape stones, I would never purchase a stone that wasn''t returnable, especially never having laid eyes on it in the first place!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2006 5:48:08 AM
Author:anika
Hi there,
Thanks in advance

Anika
If a jeweller or trader buys 100 stones a month or year - then they will win on some and loose on others.
I first began doing this in the early 1990''s - but I knew a bit more about cut than most (actually that is where HCA came from). Also way back the consistancy of grading was better than it is today where GIA seem to have staffing issues - 400 graders coming and going etc - what a nightmare.

But you are playing a lottery - about 1/3rd of the GIA Excellent cut stones that I have seen would not make it into my store. And I would never dream of buying an SI diamond on GIA''s grades - higher clarity is safer I think because the better graders seem to work on the better clarity stones (that is just my own personal observation - not real info).

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I would never never make a huge purchase site unseen without a 100% guarantee (in writing!) that I could return it and get all my money back.

I would say NO to this one. How do you even know its out of country? Maybe that just a line this jeweler gives to prevent returns!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results