shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it really a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the reasons I wanted a larger stone in platinum was because I had an aunt who had one. I grew up with her and she got a 2 carat set (very much like a grace setting) as an upgrade. She literally wore it until
the day she died, through several bouts of cancer treatments. She passed away in 2000 and she was almost 80. Unfortunately, she promised the rings to another niece before I was born, so when my uncle passed
and I came into a bit of cash, I bought my own.

I think I will always wear mine as well. Although I have noticed judgement from some women when they notice the size. I think you are sometimes thought to be shallow or greedy if you love the sparkle of diamonds.
Recently, when I was in a group of women talking about someone else''s lovely earrings, I commented that I love things that sparkle. One of the other women snidely remarked, ''we can tell''. My jewelry wasn''t over the
top at all. I just let it go.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
My parents have been married 35 years and my mom still wears her e-ring and band everyday. I never got an ering, but wear my diamond and plain bands every day

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Because of this thread, I wore my ER tonight. The restaurant had great lighting, and I was staring at it all night. My dh was getting annoyed with me b/c I was very preoccupied with my diamond. (Kind of like how he doesn''t hear me when he''s watching tv
27.gif
)LOL

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
why waste the money buying jewelry if you not going to wear em?
20.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 9:58:33 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
20.gif

Because it''s nice to have for when you do want to wear it. Plus I can''t wait to pass my rings down to my daughter someday!

I''d rather keep my nice things tucked away while I''m up to my elbows in diapers, baby food and dishes
9.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Of all of the women that I know with e-rings, only about half of them wear them regularly, but all of them wear their bands every day.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 10:11:29 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678

20.gif

Because it''s nice to have for when you do want to wear it. Plus I can''t wait to pass my rings down to my daughter someday!

I''d rather keep my nice things tucked away while I''m up to my elbows in diapers, baby food and dishes
9.gif
forget someday,pass em to me NOW!! . i am ringless!!
39.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 10:56:29 PM
Date: 3/20/2010 10:11:29 PM

Author: PinkAsscher678

20.gif

9.gif
forget someday,pass em to me NOW!! . i am ringless!!
39.gif

PS should totally have a jewelry timeshare program
3.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
funny because I am actually looking to get a very nice stand alone band to wear...

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
It''s not a trend for me. I love my rings and wear them every day. Most of the women in my area wear their e-ring.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t wear my engagement ring very often, sadly. I work in a lab and am very hard on my hands. While I was engaged I wore my ring every day, but now that I have a band, I leave the diamond at home. I knocked it on test tubes/the bench top/etc. too many times, and I was tired of my heart skipping a beat every time I did so!

I think it makes my DH sad, because I do see him smile when I wear them both on the weekends. I am currently watching it sparkle while I type.
1.gif

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I wear my eternity band every day. I have been wearing it thirteen years now. Sometimes I will wear a colored stone engagement ring with it, but I also like to put the colored stone engagement ring on my other hand.
I have not worn my diamond engagement ring in years. The band seems sentimental to me, but engagement rings don't.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
20.gif
Because it''s nice to have options
11.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
when i got married in 2008 my wedding present from my DH was a plain rose gold band to have as a second wedding band so that i could alternate between that and my diamond set, which I do pretty frequently. i adore my diamond set, but every couple weeks i''ll put on the gold band for week or two and i love that almost as much (so much more comfortable!). i love how simple and understated it looks, which is the opposite of my ering! (an emerald cut diamond in a halo)

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 3:55:47 PM
Author: joelly

Date: 3/20/2010 10:24:25 AM
Author: HVVS

'lots of women (usually older) that only wear a band' never got a larger diamond. They were engaged and married in an era of huge markups in B&M store jewelry. They probably received a .25ct or .33ct RB of average cut, and then they were into the child rearing and all those expenses, and just never could afford that diamond of 1ct or more. Loads of husbands do not believe it's necessary to get an upgrade or anniversary larger diamond ring, and loads of women do not ever talk back to such men, nor will they go out and buy a diamond ring for themselves.

My great aunt in NYC wore a spectacular half-eternity band of large Asschers in high colors, not a wedding set.
I wonder, what makes you come to this conclusion?
Same here, my mom has been married for 51 years, she wears a honker with many bands daily
31.gif
21.gif

I tend to wear different bands for fieldwork, then add e-rings when I'm in the office/out, I'm 34, have been married for 12, don't think is a trend, just practical imo.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been married 2.5 years and would estimate that I wear my e-ring 1 - 2x per month on average. I go completely ringless most of the time, though I do wear a plain band occasionally. My ring is neither tiny nor huge (1.5 carats), but I prefer the comfort of not having a ring. While a band is more comfortable than my e-ring, it''s still not nearly as comfortable as being ringless. I adore my e-ring, I always say it''s the best gift I''ve ever received and will never change it. I do plan to buy more diamonds down the road because I love them, but I will not wear them regularly.

I like that my ring has very little wear and tear on it because I''m sentimental about it.

I agree with those who say that going ringless is not a trend, it''s a preference. I know the my sister stopped wearing her e-ring after being married for about 5 years because it was more comfortable to go without it. I was just at a baby shower two weekends ago and and complimented a lady on her very lovely small eternity band and she said that it''s her favorite because it''s so comfortable. I found out from my friend that she has a collection of large diamonds and her e-ring is a 5 carat D/IF emerald cut from Graff that she''s only worn a handful of times.

For me, a diamond is no different from any other luxury purchase. I love my golf clubs, but I don''t carry them into the office every day. I also love to ski, but it wouldn''t be comfy for me to wear my expensive skis around all the time.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
My mom never wore her original ering (which is how I ended up with it!) now that it''s mine I wear it a few times a week but not everyday. I like to have options sometimes I wear it with one or two of my wedding bands on my left hand but sometimes I wear it on the right or not at all -just depends on my mood, a lot of people I know or see in NYC just wear bands.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results