shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible to buy a nice 7.8ish mm red spinel for <$5000?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Basically the title. I’ve looked at a few places online but haven’t really seen much.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what color red are you considering? Do you have a picture example?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
what color red are you considering? Do you have a picture example?

Something like one of these. I’m not super picky on color - pinkish or orangish is totally fine. IMG_1523.png

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
7.8ish mm wide or long, what cut?

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
Something like one of these. I’m not super picky on color - pinkish or orangish is totally fine. IMG_1523.png

I would be really careful with that material. I have bought "jedi" spinel from quite a few Etsy sellers, and most of the stones look vivid red with a hint of pink in the pictures and videos but in reality, especially under sunlight, there are very strong orange and brown tones that can be hidden with artificial white lighting.

The only one of those I suspect will have somewhat decent color in real life is the top right stone, but it is so heavily included that it probably should have been a cabochon.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
7.8mm is what… 2 carats? I think finding a stone for 2500/ct is possible

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no expert but there's one or two that might be of interest to you on Litnon?
The still pic on this one's not great but the video makes it look more interesting if you don't mind oval?
Litnon

ETA: grammar correction

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@Adam95 I def don’t plan to buy from Etsy.

@JackTrick do you happen to know what fair pricing is per carat for a decently nice stone?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I'm no expert but there's one or two that might be of interest to you on Litnon?
The still pic on this one's not great but the video makes it look more interesting if you don't mind oval?
Litnon

ETA: grammar correction

Why did I think they closed down? I’ll check their website more often but I’m stuck on either a squaring cushion or round.

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @winnietucker! Have you found your spinel yet? I may have found one that fits your description and price range.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I would be really careful with that material. I have bought "jedi" spinel from quite a few Etsy sellers, and most of the stones look vivid red with a hint of pink in the pictures and videos but in reality, especially under sunlight, there are very strong orange and brown tones that can be hidden with artificial white lighting.

The only one of those I suspect will have somewhat decent color in real life is the top right stone, but it is so heavily included that it probably should have been a cabochon.

The main thing is many of these videos and pictures are taken under natural tropical sunlight. The closer to the equator the more vivid red becomes or any warm or hot color. What that same stone might look like say in Chicago will be less vivid and maybe more brownish unless it is truly vivid but even then, it will be more vivid in the tropics.

I'm interested to see what you find, because I've been wondering about red spinel pricing these days too. I hope you find your dream stone and are able to stay on budget!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if by any chance you’d entertain a strong pink..

He has some amazing red spinels from older stock as well but none quite big enough for what you’re looking for

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results