shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it ok to really copy Tiffany's 6 prong classic setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TimeTraveller

Rough_Rock
Hello all. Been reading this forum for the past week--have learned sooooo much!--and this is my first post. Please don''t kill me if this has been asked before.

I''ve seen several posters on here had custom designed settings. I was curious, is it possible--legal--to duplicate a Tiffany setting exactly? Will a designer get in trouble for producing an exact duplicate of Tiffany''s setting design?

Yes I''ve seen Lazare Kaplin''s setting and I''ve heard Superbcert also has something which resembles Tiffany''s settings, but none of them are exactly like Tiffany''s.

I''m wondering if one could custom design a setting 100% like Tiffany''s.

engagement_tiffany_ring2.jpg

There is a very famous designer--forgot his name--and he seems to work with GoldOldGold frequently and comes highly recommended by posters on here. If I gave the above picture to the designer, will he make a setting look exactly like the Tiffany setting?

While I don''t buy into Tiffany''s marketing hype of their diamonds being better than anyone elses, I sincerely love Tiffany''s classic engagment ring setting. I''ve seen many settings and I truly love Tiffany''s the most. Would it be possible to have someone make it exactly like Tiffany''s?

Thanks!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *think* Whiteflash has one almost if not identical.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

TimeTraveller

Rough_Rock
Wow, that Tiffany Replica by WF really does look almost exactly alike--with a correspondingly expensive price tag too. :) But that''s almost exactly what I''m looking for.

Thanks very much ole ye wise members of Pscope!
36.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is not a design that is unique to Tiffany nor was the idea of it originated by them. It''s no problem to make a similar ring as long as the maker does not represent themselves as Tiffany & Co. It''s worth noting that T&C does pretty nice work and not all of the imitators are as skilled.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2005 5:44:00 PM
Author: TimeTraveller
Wow, that Tiffany Replica by WF really does look almost exactly alike--with a correspondingly expensive price tag too. :) But that''s almost exactly what I''m looking for.

Thanks very much ole ye wise members of Pscope!
36.gif
But realize that the stone going into the WF Version will be much nicer and bigger.

I actually like the WF version better, it to me looks MUCH denser than the Tiffany one. There is far more heft and metal in the WF one.

TimeTraveller

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/5/2005 5:44:58 PM
Author: denverappraiser
This is not a design that is unique to Tiffany nor was the idea of it originated by them. It''s no problem to make a similar ring as long as the maker does not represent themselves as Tiffany & Co. It''s worth noting that T&C does pretty nice work and not all of the imitators are as skilled.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Independent Appraisals in Denver

Thanks Neil. I knew Tiffany has a long history of engagement rings in the USA, so I assumed they had their setting trademarked or something. It''s nice to see that others can utilize this design or some design very close and not get into legal trouble.

ame

I actually like the WF version better, it to me looks MUCH denser than the Tiffany one. There is far more heft and metal in the WF one.

Haha... On this I disagree with you. I like very simple and slim settings. I hope the WF version isn''t much thicker or weightier than the Tiffany version. I''ve gone to Tiffany''s to see the setting in person and I really like it just the way Tiffany makes them.
1.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Whiteflash Tiffany style setting and it is realy beautiful. They have a few versions that areless expensive but the one to get is the one that sells for about $1000. They custome make the basket to fit the stone.
The ring is not thicker or heavier than the Tiffany one. I have worn my ring into Tiffany''s and I think it looks the same. It is a very simple and elegant design.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I agree,
It is hard to explain why using a prior example is essential to the jewellery craft. It is a strange occupation with techniques and therefore design capabilities being shaped by the tools at hand and the techniques date back to the Pharos days. The list of possibilities date back that far to with improvements in technology but the designs are pretty well common to the tools being used and the jewellery made previously with the same equipment - same shaped pliers, same files, drills etc = the same limitations in hand forging, hence the same limitations (with the exception of CAD CAM).

To mould a rubber from a Tiffany ring and reproduce it from a casting is not an economically possible proposition, so at least Tiffany can be sure that what they sell is their own. A lot of jewellery shops do not disclose where they got their jewellery and some wholesalers find themselves loosing the originality of their product when models are produced without sale or permission.

This particular Tiffany design is as about as easy to reproduce as any design can be, and yes it is nice. Tiffiny does it really well.

The style is very commen and the generic 'old' name for that type of setting head is called a 'rex claw' (in Australia/UK etc). Obviously 'rex' is descriptive of the crown shape. The more common 'rex claw' design is not scolloped as much because it is safer that way, and it is meant to be produced fast for the masses. So this is similar to the common style but showing more diamond and requiring more skill etc.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the Superbcert one.
145.jpg

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
the 2.75ct diamond is too big for the setting the rest look pretty good.

TimeTraveller

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/6/2005 12:22:50 AM
Author: cpster
Here''s the Superbcert one.

Hi cpster. How does one go about obtaining a Superbcert Tiffany setting? Can you purchase only a setting from them, without purchasing their diamonds? I looked at their website, www.superbcert.com, and couldn''t find out how to purchase only a setting from them.

Thanks.

TimeTraveller

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/6/2005 3:53:54 AM
Author: rainbow
Hello,

To buy from Superbcert it''s best to work from their Excel Diamonds web site.

You can definitely purchase settings and diamonds seperately.

Here is a link for the setting I think you are looking for

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Classic-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-In-Platinum-640.html#

Hope it helps.

rainbow

Yes, that definitely helps rainbow! Thanks!

Has anyone purchased this setting? Their claim certainly is very bold:

For those of you who want the look of the classic 6 prong Platinum Tiffany Classic Style solitaire diamond engagement ring, from its legendary fluted prongs down to the very last detail, (for a fraction of the price) this setting is for you!!

This magnificent diamond engagement ring is our own exclusive manufacture, and is completely hand made from start to finish. This diamond ring setting is currently available only in heavyweight 950 platinum. Additionally, these pure platinum settings are guaranteed to be free of any porosity (usually associated with the cheaper "platinum" settings.). We also give you a lifetime guarantee on the workmanship of this one of a kind piece. The sheer beauty of this diamond ring setting will showcase your SuperbCert super-ideal, Hearts and Arrows Ideal Cut diamond for a lifetime!

Note: The diamond shown in this setting is a CZ, NOT a SuperbCert Diamond.

Since we have introduced this engagement ring setting, it has received rave reviews from our many satisfied clients who have noted that it is impossible to distinguish our Tiffany Classic replica from the real thing. One of our customers even mentioned that a salesman in the Tiffany flagship store offered to polish his Superbcert Tiffany engagement ring free of charge,thinking that it was the actual Tiffany ring!!

We guarantee that you will not find a better manufactured, higher quality, Tiffany Classic replica at this price anywhere! The "Tiffany Solitaires" that you see advertised by everyone for 400-500 dollars in "platinum" do not even come close to our exclusive setting in terms of purity, weight, craftsmanship, likeness, and quality. Remember, "you get what you paid for". Our Tiffany Classic replica engagement ring is truly a cut above the diamond rings offered by our competitors! We encourage you to conduct an on-line search to find testimonials from our scores of thrilled customers.

We also pay incredible attention to the actual setting of the diamond . True to the nature of the actual Tiffany setting, the diamond sits very low in the basket and is held in place by grooves which are etched into the inside of the platinum prongs. These grooves hold the girdle of the diamond in place and then the prongs are tapered ever so slightly over the top of the stone. This kind of attention to detail will eliminate the effect of having six prongs "folded" over the top of the diamond to hold it in place which is usually a tremendous eye-sore in most generic six prong settings. Most generic settings incorporate "approximate" basket sizes for certain carat sizes. However, depending on a specific diamonds actual dimensions there is often excess in the height and spread of the prongs. When this happens the setter will usually "cut and fold" the prongs over the top of the diamond to hold the stone in place. This creates alot of clutter with the metal taking up too much surface area thereby obstructing your ability to appreciate the full beauty of the diamond. This is especially true in six prong settings. Like the actual Tiffany Solitaire, we create our replica to suit the exact carat weight of your diamond, and even more importantly, the EXACT dimensions of your diamond. In this way you are assured of the best of both worlds; the beauty and elegance of a six prong setting, as well as the ability to truly showcase the brilliance of your diamond in a maximum way.

So take our challenge and do your homework, we are confident that you will find our Tiffany Replica engagement ring to be the very best on the market.

Exceldiamonds is your Guarantee of Lifetime Quality and Satisfaction!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that the designer that you might be thinking of is Mark Morrell. His work will not be cheaper than that of Whiteflash or anyone else (but it will be even nicer). Furthermore, he will flat out refuse to copy someone else''s work (before I knew anything about this whole ring process, about the special art of designing jewellery, and about general copyrighting, I emailed him to ask him if he could copy a Vatché setting. He was duly offended, and rightly so).

If you like HIS work, though, he makes a stunning six-prong setting that is somewhat similar to that of Tiffany, but with a couple of design differences.

As for other replicas, a Pricescoper by the username of Blakeo bought just the Tiffany replica setting from Excel diamonds (then called Superbcert) and had his own stone set into it. His experience was very positive, and you can read about it here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/buying-a-diamond-in-toronto-canada-my-experience.8107/

Apparently it was so good that the Tiffany salespeople offered to clean and polish it for him for free when he was browsing there for wedding bands because they mistook it for one of Tiffany''s original rings.

Good luck with your search!

TimeTraveller

Rough_Rock
Hi Daniela,

Yes, it''s Mr Morrell I was alluding to. Thanks for the info about designers taking offense. That is precisely why I asked the question to begin with. I was thinking more of legal reasons, but I can certainly appreciate why a skilled designer would be offended at being asked to copy someone else''s design. Glad I don''t have to make the same offense to him. :)

And thanks for the link to Blakeo''s posting. I''ll go read it now.

Date: 8/6/2005 6:15:03 PM
Author: Daniela
I believe that the designer that you might be thinking of is Mark Morrell. His work will not be cheaper than that of Whiteflash or anyone else (but it will be even nicer). Furthermore, he will flat out refuse to copy someone else''s work (before I knew anything about this whole ring process, about the special art of designing jewellery, and about general copyrighting, I emailed him to ask him if he could copy a Vatché setting. He was duly offended, and rightly so).

If you like HIS work, though, he makes a stunning six-prong setting that is somewhat similar to that of Tiffany, but with a couple of design differences.

As for other replicas, a Pricescoper by the username of Blakeo bought just the Tiffany replica setting from Excel diamonds (then called Superbcert) and had his own stone set into it. His experience was very positive, and you can read about it here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/buying-a-diamond-in-toronto-canada-my-experience.8107/

Apparently it was so good that the Tiffany salespeople offered to clean and polish it for him for free when he was browsing there for wedding bands because they mistook it for one of Tiffany''s original rings.

Good luck with your search!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
It might take you a while. The post is four pages long, but very informative.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMO the Superbcert and WF Tiffany are very close to the real thing...but with reasonable price tags and your own choice of diamond! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results