shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it necessary to have GCAL Grading Report?

Abby2013

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am a beginner. I am interested in 0.82-Carat Blue Nile Signature Round Diamond, Signature Ideal-cut, G-color, and VS1-clarity at Bluenile.com

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=NavEngLoo#diamonds_pid=LD03164252

When I compare this diamond with B2C Jewels website. B2C Jewels website offers cheaper price than Bluenile.

My questions:

1) B2C Jewels website only offers GIA report and the independent appraisal report. Should the GIA report be enough for me to buy an engagement ring? Is it necessary to have GCAL Grading Report? I understand that GCAL Grading Report has optical brilliance analysis which make me feel comfortable to buy a diamond from Bluenile. However, B2C Jewels does not provide it.

2) I never heard about B2C Jewels website until I visit pricescope website. Is B2C Jewels real company? What is their reputation? I would like to make sure that this website really sales the real GIA diamonds.

Thank you,

Abby

J-Man

Rough_Rock
Bump

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
J man, what sort of information do you want that gcal provides that is not regularly supplied by the many recommended vendors talked about on PS?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is you're interested in what GCAL has to say, they'll be happy to work for you directly, regardless of where you bought your stone.

www.gemfacts.com

I find B2C to be a perfectly reasonable outfit, as is BN. You're wise to look in to the credibility and the sources and the dealers as part of this decision but it does raise an interesting question. Had you heard of GCAL before BN suggested them?

diamond-enthusiast

Rough_Rock
Denver appraiser, what do you think of the optical analysis in the GCAL report. Does it hold weight to the AGS platinum light reports?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the ASET, the colors indicate specific ranges of angles where the light enters the stone and return through the central axis. That has certain limitations to it but it's fairly straightforward what it means. GCAL doesn't say what the colors represent beyond their own conclusions of what's good so no, I don't find it as useful. Then again, not everyone is looking to do an analysis and AGS makes no statement at all about what they think is good or bad about the ASET image so for people looking for an 'answer' rather than just raw data, the GCAL thing fits the bill better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results