shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it just me, or is this unprofessional?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
In the process of looking for someone to do my hair and makeup for my wedding, I sent out a few emails to get quotes. I ended up booking with a really nice makeup artist whose work I love. But I thought I should let the other two who had given quotes know that I would not be booking with them, so they could release the date, and as a courtesy. I received this email back from one (cut and pasted):

"No problem anyway, enjoy the biuld up to your day. I'll get booked on your date but there is 3 of us all of us are the same standard so if you are still stuck after your trial it's worth getting back in touch to see if either Danielle and Heidi are available. They are excellent, they helped me with a wedding for ok mag on sunday so their work can be seen in it next week."

She seems to be implying that the artist I have booked with (and I didn't even tell her who it was) would mess up so badly I would need to come crawling back to her. Why would someone imply that about a fellow professional? And the reference to "ok mag" (the UK society magazine OK) seems totally unnecessary (and as her style is kind of outdated, I have my doubts as to whether it is even true).

Not that it matters to me now as I didn't book with her... it just irked me and I wanted to get it off my chest to like-minded folk
2.gif
Has anyone else come across vendors behaving like this?

beltane

Shiny_Rock
Very unprofessional. She should have simply thanked you for letting her know and wish you well on your day. Her reply was very immature.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who used to be a makeup artist, I would never have sent an email like that to a potential client. Not only did it sound rude to YOU and your decision, but it was quite catty towards the other artist. Obviously, she needs to develop a thicker skin. Makeup is a cutthroat industry, and if she''s going to sound off on every bride that chooses someone else, well then she better turn in her brushes NOW. Sorry you had to deal with someone so unprofessional.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I think she was just trying to save a possible client in case you are unsatisfied somewhere else.

It definitely could have been worded better, but I understand what she was getting at. I got one of these from the florist I decided not to use. It simply stated that if anything were to go wrong, please contact her to see if she is still open. But wished me the best for my wedding day.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! That''s kind of ridiculous. It''s also unprofessional that she didn''t bother to reread her email and fix the run-on sentences and typos, on top of the content.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Meresal.

I received a couple of these after we booked our photographer and it was the same thing. "We wish you well on your wedding day, if anything should come up or if you need assistance, please call and see if we are still available, blah, blah blah."

I honestly never took it as them being rude about the photographer I booked, I took it as them wanting me to know they were still interested if anything changed for me.

On a separate note, there WAS someone on this board not too long ago that hated their hair trial...so it''s worth it to keep an open mind if you are at all interested.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Unprofessional wording, but if worded right it would be fine. IMO.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 7:16:48 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
Unprofessional wording, but if worded right it would be fine. IMO.

Agree. They should have just said something along the lines of "Should your needs change, I''d love to work with you in the future." yadda yadda. No need to say the rest.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Let''s see now, she wished you a fun time building up to your wedding date, and mentioned that while she would not be available, there were two other highly talented stylists that would be available should you run into a problem.

Sounds like a very professional followup to me. I see no reason why she shouldn''t mention her work was featured on OK Magazine. You would prefer for her to act ashamed of the fact
33.gif

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I don''t think it''s a big deal. It was definitely not written well, but I wouldn''t describe her response as unprofessional.

Does it really matter? You picked your make-up artist anyway, so I would just move on.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to admit, although it could have been worded a tad better, I don''t think she was unprofessional. As others have said, it seems like she was just asking that you keep their business in mind should you need it in the future.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 5:33:47 PM
Author: meresal
To be honest, I think she was just trying to save a possible client in case you are unsatisfied somewhere else.

It definitely could have been worded better, but I understand what she was getting at. I got one of these from the florist I decided not to use. It simply stated that if anything were to go wrong, please contact her to see if she is still open. But wished me the best for my wedding day.

Ditto-I wouldn''t be offended at all.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for everyone's responses and for giving me a different viewpoint on it. I think it was the words "If you're still stuck after your trial" that sounded a bit off to me (um, still? I'm not stuck now, I have a great artist booked!), but you're right, it was probably just less than ideal wording.

Caribqueen, I said in my original post that it doesn't really matter. It's just that it was my first time dealing with a wedding vendor and I was taken aback, and wondered if I should be expecting this throughout my wedding planning. I'm glad for the responses others gave because if/when I get a message like that again from a vendor, I'll know not to be offended
2.gif
This wasn't a "please agree with me" post - it was a genuine question, and I've got genuine and helpful responses that have changed my perspective.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I get what she tried to say but the way she put it is what really irks me. She needs to take a professional writing class.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 5:33:47 PM
Author: meresal

Ditto. I personally think you are reading a bit too much into the email. You have to remember with emails and texts these days, people are often rushing them and trying to get to the point quickly. Tone and sentiment can often get lost. I am not saying she could have worded it better, but IMO she just seems like she is giving you an option of contacting her again should you need to. Try not to read too much into it. At least you know you can contact her if your other chick really does turn out to be less than wonderful.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 11:25:33 AM
Author:LilyKat
In the process of looking for someone to do my hair and makeup for my wedding, I sent out a few emails to get quotes. I ended up booking with a really nice makeup artist whose work I love. But I thought I should let the other two who had given quotes know that I would not be booking with them, so they could release the date, and as a courtesy. I received this email back from one (cut and pasted):

''No problem anyway, enjoy the biuld up to your day. I''ll get booked on your date but there is 3 of us all of us are the same standard so if you are still stuck after your trial it''s worth getting back in touch to see if either Danielle and Heidi are available. They are excellent, they helped me with a wedding for ok mag on sunday so their work can be seen in it next week.''
Well, maybe I read into things too much too but I would have found that reply a little rude.

"enjoy the build up to your day"- when have you ever heard someone say that? to me that sounds like "i hope you enjoy your planning.
27.gif
.. but I hope you are unhappy with the way they work out the day of your wedding" idk why tho. maybe because it seems like she deliberately didn''t say something about your wedding day?
"I''ll get booked on your date"- "I''m still open, but you can be SURE I''ll be booked on your date because I''m just that awesome
16.gif
"
"They are the same standard"- "we''re all just that awesome
16.gif
"
"still stuck after your trial it''s worth getting back in touch"- who''s to say you''re stuck? You hired someone else! Clearly there was a reason you went with choice X over choice Y!.
"they helped me with a wedding for ok mag on sunday so their work can be seen in it next week"- "we''re in ok mag and your makeup artist isn''t! NOW you''ll feel sorry for not hiring me!!
11.gif
".. unnecessary name dropping.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Jaylex, that''s how I read it initially, especially the unnecessary name-dropping... but I guess we''re more paranoid than most, eh?
11.gif

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 5:04:36 AM
Author: LilyKat
Jaylex, that''s how I read it initially, especially the unnecessary name-dropping... but I guess we''re more paranoid than most, eh?
11.gif
Lol I guess so.

But I know that when I write an email at work I try to read it as if I was the recipient to make see that my words don''t come across a way I don''t mean them too.
Whether this woman meant to be snotty or not, she should have read her email and thought about how you would receive it.

O well. Bet you''re gonna run right out and buy that issue of "Ok" on Sunday, huh?! lol
20.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 5:04:36 AM
Author: LilyKat
11.gif
I wrote a reply to this thread the other day, but the computer ate it
8.gif

Anyway, I would be turned off by a vendor that would send out an email like that. It may not be the most horrible email ever, but that doesn''t mean it''s ok to send it to a client either. I don''t like her wording at all, or what she''s trying to imply, and I think most of what she said is unecessary.

LilyKat, I don''t consider myself overly "paranoid", but I do think I have much better manners/etiquette than most people today. It seems that you, me & Jaylex are all in that same boat.
9.gif
10.gif

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
You''re probably reading more into it than was meant, but I agree it was not a very professional email. When I read it, I got the impression that she thinks she is pretty darn special and not getting your business isn''t a big deal to her. If nothing else, just be happy you didn''t book with her. And unless you have paid a deposit or held the date in some other way, I wouldn''t worry about getting back to vendors you are rejecting - you might get more of this kind of response!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results