shape
carat
color
clarity

Is GemScan better than IGI?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

salmon318

Rough_Rock
I found one diamond which I really like and it comes with IGI report, but when I talk to some other local jewelry stores here (canada), one said that GemScan (www.gemscan.com) is better than IGI. Bascially he said GIA > GemScan > AGS > EGL > IGI. Is he telling the truth?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have never seen the labs listed with GemScan inserted into them in such an order of importance or accuracy. I would doubt a little just to be safe!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know how good they are, but GemScan is not as well known as either GIA or AGS. Perhaps their appraisal is a good thing to have, but I would be surprised to find out of the blue that they have nearly as much recognition. There are many other gemological labs out there, and none would dare put themselves into that position on a list - perhaps technically it might somehow make sense, but by market presence alone it would be funny.

If you want to use an independent appraisal for your own reassurance, than it makes more sense, IMO, to chose your own expert independently of the seller's point of view. If the third party certification provided is beyond doubt, it is up to you to decide.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I haven''t seen all that many reports from Gemscan but I have not been all that impressed by what I''ve seen. This may be because I''m overseas and I may not be seeing the best examples of their work. Personally, I would not rank the labs in that order. I would suggest a ranking more like GIA > AGS > HRD > (other/none). Being in that last category isn''t by itself a deal killer but it is cause to ask a few more questions than you might otherwise be inclined to ask.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id rank em:
ags > gia > egl-usa/hrd > anything else.
I dont think there is any question AGS is the stricter lab.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I have one personal experience with Gem Scan. It was the first diamond I ever purchased. Gem Scan graded it as a SI2 D diamond. I''ve had it regraded twice since purchase. Both times I looked at the stone with masters and it was clearly not a "D". It was a low E, high F. One could argue solid F. Since I based my purchase decision on the Gem Scan report which I obtained and paid for (the dealer let me do that) prior to buying, I would not use them again. As everyone knows, there is a large price difference between a D and F stone and a consumer relies on experts to protect them.

Bottom line, I think they are not that reliable. Sure it''s only one experience, but it was mine with my money and for me that was enough.

salmon318

Rough_Rock
So, according to you guys expertise, is IGI any good?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gemscan is also known as Gemscam. I had brought a diamond once to be appraised there & the appraiser (John) came to the lobby to tell me what he was putting on the appraisal & if that was ok.
6.gif
The other thing I noticed was that I had to make an appt. & had to wait about 3 wks but the diamond stores in the area (jewelery exchange & some other diamond store on Shuter St.) was able to waltz in with their clients & have their stones appraised right on the spot. I''m thinking a little bit of greasing palms if you ask me. Also, as large as Toronto is, the majority of shops use Gemscam. If you ask for GIA they will think you are nuts & as one shop who looked at my AGS cert thought I had made it up. Either its ignorance or simply they (the Canadian market) wants to keep us consumers ignorant & themselves superior. Boils my blood I''ll tell you. I bought my diamond online, & go into those same shops & they trip overthemselves at the chance to clean my ring. Buying online is exactly what you should do. Buffalo is only 2hrs away & well worth it. You will save tons of money & get a killer stone. Also, Birks will tell you how great their cut is, & they use GIA. Do you want to pay triple the money to get something thats so easily accessable from the U.S?
If you need to stay local, found Damiani Jewelers in Woodbridge to be very fair with their pricing & they have a lot of styles in stock. I bought my Scott Kay e-ring there & had them custom make my band. They have a mix of HRD, GIA & Gemscam diamonds in stock. Check out their website, they usually have an updated list of stones with prices.

Judy
:)

vancouvernewbie

Rough_Rock
I''ve got one of each and I would say go for the EGL over the GEMSCAN anyday.

This is what you get from both of them in their detailed reports...princess cuts...

Gemscan:
Shape
measurements
Weight
Clarity
Colour
Cut
Depth %
Crown Angle
Pavilion %
Table %
Girdle Thickness
replacement Value
no plotting, no finish, no symmetry, no fluorescence,

EGL:
Shape
measurements
Weight
Clarity
Colour
Cut
Depth %
Crown Angle
Pavilion %
Table %
Girdle Thickness
Polish
Symmetry
Fluorescence
plotting

On top of this the gemscan measurements were in my opinion significantly over reported...(5.72x5.61x4.08 vs 5.65x5.59x4.09) although the carat, color and clarity were the same. This obviously threw off some of the %ages which I wasn''t too happy about. As a result the replacement value seemed a little high as well. I''m not too angry as the stone I got is beautiful and I still got a great deal but I would beware with GS if I were you.

And if the finished certificate plays into it at all it looks 1000 times better than the Gemscan cert. If you are in canada and only have a few choices do the EGL. I also had them laser inscribe my diamond.

Brocksgirl24

Rough_Rock
I don''t have alot of diamond buying experience, in fact just one....my e-ring! It came with a GemScan report. We had it independently appraised through Harold Weinstein and it matched almost perfectly...HW rated my color F while GemScan had it at a G. Everything else was right on.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had my present stone appraised by Harold Wienstien. Ironically enough, they are one block from each other across from St. Mikes on Queen Street. :) Harold Weinstein has an excellent reputation in Toronto. Many of the Jewelery Exchange places dont want to send to him. They complain about the cost ($45 versus 60 I think) , but I think its more about the verdict of the appraisal. Go with HW all the way. :) Tell them you only have a stone for XZY amount of time & they will work with you. :)

Judy
:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results