shape
carat
color
clarity

Is anything wrong with this spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well the cut is OK but nothing spectacular, there''s some color zoning (inconsistencies in the color coverage), the color is quite dark and of very low saturation. Looks like a low quality rhodolite from that photo, and those are not expensive either. If that''s the exact color you''re after that''s just fine, but if you''d like something PINK I''d look around some more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is priced very low due to having a brownish purple colour combined with very low saturation which makes it look very unspinel-like. It’s not exhibiting a colour I consider pink.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That doesn''t look pink to me either. It looks a little muddy to me, too much brown for me.

But if you like the color then get it and view it in person.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I sort of like the rose/dark rose color to it.

hrose

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the help! I will definately pass... I wanted a stone thats not necessarily dark but a lot of color to it, but pink with a bit of purple in it or something like raspberry or magenta

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 10:50:38 AM
Author: hrose
thanks for the help! I will definately pass... I wanted a stone thats not necessarily dark but a lot of color to it, but pink with a bit of purple in it or something like raspberry or magenta
Don''t want to put you down, but those colors can be pricey, especially if you like them nice and bright. If they''re affordable, those are probably highly treated stones (like some sapphires in those shades).

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
or have a lot of extinction going on and one sees mere flashes of color peaking through.

mz

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re looking for a raspberry/magenta stone that''s more affordable, then you may want to look at rubellite tourmaline or pink tourmaline. I''m in the process of looking for stones in the raspberry/magenta family as well, and those stones are significantly less expensive than similarly colored spinels. How are you planning on setting your stone? That might be a good way to see if tourmalines will be durable enough for you, or if you really need a spinel (or sapphire).

hrose

Shiny_Rock
i don''t mind what the stone is (doesn''t have to be a spinel) as long as the color is really nice and its a square cushion, i have been looking at tourmalines as well and will probably get one once I find the right one! I am planning on setting it in a halo pendant, like the tiffany legacy pendant, and have a jeweler who can make a nice one for me that i really like

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results