shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an Ideal Cut really noticeably better then Premium/Very Good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tgenius

Rough_Rock
I wonder how much of it is marketing/salesmenship, especially on a smaller stone (.5-.75 carat) Opinions?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes very much so in most cases

tgenius

Rough_Rock
So even in a smaller stone you notice it? I am just curious as your paying about a 10-15 percent premium minimum (Depending on the other values too) I just want to get the best diamond for my money (about $2000 for the gem itself)

I find Whiteflash,JA,and GOG a lil confusing..
7.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a .15ct ideal cut and I notice the difference.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Cut is the MOST important. In a smaller carat weight like you''re talking about, you could actually sacrifice some color and clarity that would end up being less noticable than in a larger carat weight.

You CAN tell the difference with your EYES--and that''s where it counts!!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I can tell the difference. The value system is purely personal tho.

I mean, on a small stone, you''re working on a tight budget. Round brilliants for sure look better the smaller they are. So, to regular people, without an ideal cut to compare it to side by side, a premium cut is still gonna sparkle like crazy. So, at that point, I''d prolly dump that 10-15% price into the carat size cuz that''s really what impresses the most.

On a bigger stone, you''ve already got some size and the sparkles aren''t so obvious cuz the facets are farther apart. So, I''d be more willing to pay that premium for the cut.

Just my $0.02

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Except that he's getting a princess.

My 2 cents is that, in a smaller princess, put money into cut to avoid getting a square piece of glass

T, I'm thinking those BN stones will get you the most bang for your buck.

tgenius

Rough_Rock
Yeah, the blue nile stones sure are looking very much like a winner. 3 percent cashback through Fatwallet doesn''t hurt either (nor does 10 percent off setting using VISA! :D) I am going to the famous Seybold building this weekend with the specsheets and printouts of certain gems from BN,WF,and JA just in case I find something I like. If not, we''ll take it from there. Juliet, in light of smaller princess, after the ideal cut, what is the next most important characteristic I should be lookin for?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After all the cut, and the spread, and durability issues, and eye-cleanliness and color...you should like it.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2006 8:57:36 PM
Author: JulieN
Except that he''s getting a princess.

My 2 cents is that, in a smaller princess, put money into cut to avoid getting a square piece of glass

T, I''m thinking those BN stones will get you the most bang for your buck.

Oh, a princess? Then yeah, change my response to follow Julie''s

tgenius

Rough_Rock
Well I will take all those pieces of advice with me. GIA currently does not rate ideal cuts for Princess, only 2005+ AGS correct? I have a friend who knows a jeweler broker and offered me an ideal cut .55 Princess for like 1500.. so that''s an option. :D

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, mid 2005+. Yes to GIA not grading princess.

Whether 1.5K for a .55 pr is a good deal or not depends on the color and clarity.

tgenius

Rough_Rock
I believe the gem was a G color rating with either VS1 or VS2 Clarity.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
The original post mentions nothing about a princess.

So I''ll just throw this out there. In smaller 17 facet round stones, I don''t believe they are even graded, how do you know which ones are going to really shine unless you have a tray full of them to hand pick? I''ve you did a custom pave setting you most likely won''t get to pick the stones, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results