shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 6 prongs too much for a diamond < 1 carat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringsearcher99

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to decide between the 6 prong solitare setting or the 4 prong solitare setting on blue nile...I have fairly small/thin fingers so I feel like a .75 ring is what I''d feel most comfortable with but am wondering if this size diamond would be overwhelmed with a 6 prong setting. Any advice, or any pics of a ring of this size with this setting? Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are pics in this thread that may be helpful to you
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
belle gave you a great thread to take a look at. I prefer 4 prongs. I want to see more diamond and less metal, but that''s just me. Good luck!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would vote 4 prongs on an under 1c diamond...then again i prefer to see more stone than prongs typically and would only 6 prong a very large stone...good luck!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I vote 4 prongs too. It has a cleaner look, IMO.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I had a .72ct in a 4 prong solitaire. I prefer the 4 prongs over 6. My original .38ct was in a 6 prong setting and I felt you couldn''t see the stone at all! It looked much better once I changed it to a 4 prong setting. Sorry I don''t have any before and after pics.

The 4 prongs will give the round a slightly squarish look where the 6 prongs will make it look more round, if that makes sense. Personally, I also prefer the squarish look.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It''s a tough decision and totally a personal preference.

I LOVE how you can see more of the diamond with 4 prongs, but I also love how round and big a diamond looks with 6 prongs.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh one other thing, my prongs are VERY tiny on my stone and so my stone has that round look...not a squarish look at all. my original prongs were a bit bulky and did give the stone a squarish look but now my stone looks very round!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I like the look of six prongs better. The diamond is better protected and looks larger and rounder to me.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think either 4 or 6 would look great with a diamond that size. Which look do you like better?

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Either would look great. I have a .90 carat round stone, and it was originally in a six-prong head. It looked really nice that way...it seemed a little larger in that setting than it does now in its 4-prong head, but I also like my ring better now since I can see more of my diamond. If the prongs are not too big, I think 6 prongs would look perfect...especially if you like a rounder look.
2.gif
I must say I also felt more safer wearing my ring when it was in 6 prongs. Now I get paranoid every time I whack my ring on something.
20.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I am so embarassed...I just said "more safer" in my last post...I mean "safer"...and I am an English teacher! Yikes!
40.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink votes 6 prongs. If you loose one prong on a 4 prong and the diamond is GONE! You must loose or bend at least two prongs on a 6 prong. Wink does NOT like lost diamonds!

Wink

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Mike likes that Wink speaks in the third person.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2006 7:23:31 PM
Author: Gonzodogg
Mike likes that Wink speaks in the third person.
LOL
31.gif

I like the look of four prongs better, but I like the security of six. But having said all that, I currently have four prongs and insurance
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 6 prong setting and I don''t feel it''s anywhere near too much. In fact, Im all for 8 prongs myself ;-)

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I'd get a 4 prong with a thinner band to show off the diamond...or 6 prong with a band that tapers in towards the diamond, that should make it look really nice : )

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I think 6 prongs would look great & be more secure to boot. I had a .70 carat that was in a six prong. It was beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results