shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 18K palladium white gold priced like platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was told by a jeweler that palladium is "like platinum" (I know palladium is in the platinum family) and so it would be priced accordingly. Is 18K palladium white gold supposed to be priced like platinum?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO!
I will post the actual numbers but its not that much more than regular white Gold and a lot less than plat.
There is a thread hear recently with the numbers.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
here you go:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/confused.38468/

95%PT/5%/RU casting grain in 10-20 dwt quantity:
at $800 per T.O. $38.71 per dwt
at $900 per T.O. $43.30 per dwt

so $100 T.O. increase is about $4.59 increase per dwt.

so lets add it up to get an aprox price at $1000 per dwt

18k Palladium white Gold @ $500 T.O. is $26.70 per dwt
at $550 T.O. it would be around $28.61 per dwt

18k nikel white gold @ $500 is 23.13
at $550 its $25.04 per dwt

It is also lighter than plat for any given volume so a ring in PWG/WG will weight less and have less metal in it by weight.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
copper and silver are in the same family as gold-huge price difference

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
If you had a ring made in palladium white gold (let''s say from an online vendor) and then you wanted to get it resized at a local jewelry store, would you have a problem because most jewelers aren''t using palladium yet?

Mrsgardener

Rough_Rock
35.gif
Hello! I have just received my.70 -- VVS2--D Emerald diamond wedding and engagement ring that was made specially for me due to my nickle allergy. I chose not to buy Plat. due to the increase price. The empty engagement ring ( I bought a loose diamond) went from $800 to $1400 within months.-- Plat is now approx $1,054 an ounce.-- Gold is approx $542.00 an ounce.- I bought 14 KT white gold with Palladium, with a PLat head.--- the total cost for my rings were almost $1,000.00. I received a small discount due to have cash in my pocket.--- My nickle allergy is no fun!
24.gif

Mrsgardener

Rough_Rock
35.gif
-- PS--- my rings are heavy--- they have a square, Euro shank. I LOVE THEM!!!!!
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
''Palladium white gold'' doesn''t even contain that much palladium - that''s a sorry excuse for a markup
10.gif

Virtually all white gold is Palladium WG around here and it certainly isn''t priced as high as platinum - barely any higher than yellow gold. It seems to be relatively unusual in the US, and higher prices would be simply explained by this.

Now, this breed of white gold has its own problems: it doesn''t get yellowish as others (good selling point, I suppose) but does wear into a darker shade of gray than platinum. There may be more to the story, but 14k palladium WG seems to suffer more ''graying'' then 18k. It may just be that 18k gets better treatment (casting and polishing) being used in nicer jewelry, but if more subtle alloy technicalities come into play I do not know.

Anyone know if the color grading of WG came up already or not? There was a system in the making as far as I remember
34.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrsgardener, thanks for giving me a reference on how much a ring with 14K palladium wg and a platinum head would cost. Could you tell me how wide and how high your shank is? I''d like to get an idea of how much metal that would be. I''ve never actually weighed a ring, so I don''t know how many ounces rings normally are.

Thanks.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 11:57:32 AM
Author: Kim N
Mrsgardener, thanks for giving me a reference on how much a ring with 14K palladium wg and a platinum head would cost. Could you tell me how wide and how high your shank is? I''d like to get an idea of how much metal that would be. I''ve never actually weighed a ring, so I don''t know how many ounces rings normally are.

Thanks.
dwt is the scale used for rings.
dwt == The symbol for "pennyweight", or 1/20th of a troy ounce, approx 1.555 grams

You can go here and find settings around the same size and it gives the weight in dwt for Gold and Plat.
The construstion can make a bit of a difference but its going to be ballpark.

http://www.stuller.com/public/catalog2.aspx?categoryID=6cc74156-1087-4a14-9294-41f272cf745f

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results