shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 10% off rapaport a good deal? please help a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cokie

Rough_Rock
Like many folks out there, we''ve been lurking on pricescope trying to absorb all the information that is available. You all are terrific in providing unbiased and educated feedback, so I''m hoping we can get some opinions on a stone that we''ve come across.

Below are the basic specs:
.9 carat Round Brilliant, E, SI1, Excellent Polish, Very Good Symmetry, GIA Cert

The local jeweler we were working with used the rapaport report as a the basis of the pricing and is asking for 90% of the rapaport report value - which is approximately 4600. The jeweler was great to work with and the stone looks great - but to be honest, we want to feel like we''re getting a good deal. I''m one of those people who will love something twice as much when I feel like I got a good deal.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. The Pricescope Community rocks!!!

cascadejim

Rough_Rock
Is that just for the stone? It sounds a little high. Here is what I found with a quick search on pricescope:

E
SI1
63%
61%
GIA
tn-stk
vs
ex
vg
mb
6.13*6.19*3.88
$3382SP

E
SI1
62.7%
62%
GIA
m-tk
no
vg
vg
mb
6.07-6.11-3.82
$3576*SP

or you can get this for $4600:

G
VS2
60.6%
61%
EGL
m-
no
vg
vg
no
6.45x6.48x3.92
$4648*SP

cokie

Rough_Rock
Cascadejim:
Thank you for your response!
Yes, the $4600 is for the stone only. We also checked the pricescope diamond search after we got back from the jeweler and definitely felt like the diamond was priced higher than comparable diamonds. But at the same time, I''d rather not buy online. We had a great experience with the local jeweler (who is often praised on pricescope) and would love to buy from them, but we''re not the negotiating type.

Have folks out there had luck in negotiating with local jewelers by presenting them with online jeweler prices for comparable diamonds?

Thanks

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
It never hurts to ask nicely if that is the best they can do price-wise. You can mention that you''ve seen similar stones for less, and would really like to buy from him, but are concerned that the pricing is high. Negotiation doesn''t have to be strong or ugly.

Did you get a sarin report on the stone to get the rest of the cut information ? (crown and pavilion angles are key) Using your eyes as the judge is great, but make sure that you look at the stone away form the bright jewelry store lights. Check it out in the kind of lights you will normally see it in.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I mentioned pricescope when I was negotiating with my jeweler. He did take the internet pricing into account.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
going local can be worth a few hundred bucks but $1000 ..well not when its my money.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Cokie,

Translating Rap prices into real prices can be difficult. For certain stones 10% back can be a great bargain while for others it can be a bit expensive. Seeing only the lab report, the price, and a copy of Rap is a trap that catches a fair number of people. This is not the whole story. The convenience being offered by the jeweler is certainly valuable and there may be other things that make this a more comfortable and desirable place to shop. I would suggest concentrating your efforts on the stone. Does it sing to you? If this is ‘the one’, stop the process now and go for it. It sounds like an ok deal although it’s probably not the rock bottom price. You already knew that. You are on a road that can turn you into a nutcase and you may find yourself spending the next year fussing over crown angles and the like. The result may very well be a marginally better stone and/or a better price but I’m not sure you will end up more satisfied with the result. This process isn’t for everyone.

Very Good Symmetry is a pretty broad grade category and it can encompass a large range of stones. Some are, indeed, very good, others less so. See if you can decide why GIA chose that grade. H&A viewers are pretty helpful for this, even on stones that don’t have the H&A pattern. Most jewelers have one and the tutorial at the top of the page discusses what to look for.

Buy the diamond, not the paper.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Gage your best deal on best price found. Dont let a piece of paper tell you were to stop looking :)

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your jeweler is facing a rather new problem in the industry, but more and more jewelers are being faced with it.

Let us suppose that he is offering you a very nicely cut diamond, with a rather high light performance, although not the absolute super-best. Knowing that he is competing with Internet-vendors, let us suppose that he is willing to work on a relatively small margin. All in all, let us suppose that he is really giving you a good deal.

Based on the data, that you supply us with, that could very well be true.

Now, you come here on PS, and immediately, another consumer shows you 2 stones available for about 1,000 less. Basically, you have the same info about these two stones, and it seems that you are comparing apples to apples.

Well, luckily the 2 PS-stones have a little bit more info. Both of them are hiding weight in the girdle, and have a diameter of a 0.80 Ct. On top of that, the first one has very strong fluorescence, which makes it even less desirable, and even market-wise a very difficult stone to sell. Basically, the 2 stones taken from the PS-database are for people who shop mainly on price, and not on quality.

Now, the same might be true about that stone with your jeweler, but nobody knows. On the other hand, like so many jewelers, yours seems unprepared to fight this battle. He might not be aware of Sarin-reports, exact importance of certain pavilion or crown angles, and all the other info that is essential to the more educated consumer, who has studied his stuff.

It is highly probable that he really knows his stuff, when he can see a stone, but in this comparison, he does not know the weapons with which he can defend his choice for you. In the long run, getting to know these weapons (defensive ones) will be essential for the success and the survival of his business. Unfortunately, he will have to make the decision to learn this.

To summarize, I would neglect all the above advice steering you towards these 2 particular stones listed on PS. Your jeweler might have selected a very nice stone for you, with a correct price, but there is no way for us to know.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results