carat
color
clarity

Irradiated blue diamonds

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

There is a discussion going on in Hangout about being a purist in buying earth-grown diamonds vs. Man-made or treated diamonds. After reading that discussion I went to my feed and found irradiated blue diamonds for sale. Since I am the secret owner of several of this genre, and am definitely a price interested consumer and collector of gemstones and diamonds, I clicked on the web address. Much to my surprise a 1.02 ctw blue irr. diamond was $2,900.00 It was vs and the color of the diamonds I have myself. Mine are larger, and the website had larger at , to me. prices that exceeded my expectations. When I first purchased them, I was really happy and my appraisals for these were pretty high. The appaiser told me that when these first came out they were very expensive, and fluctuated up and down alot.

I have given my collection away to a niece. She loves my irradiated blue, opps, did I forget to mention I have a 2 ctw black as well, They are all set.
I think this topic belongs in Rocky-talky, so I am asking. Have blue and black , or others gone up in price, so that they now have value.? Or will MMD go the route of irradiated. Two questions there. Please reply, even if you are a purist or just don't like them. I'm trying to make conversation.

Annette

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The majority of mmd blues on the market are nuked and annealed cvd stones.
2900 per ct sounds extremely high to me for mined nuked blues.
That said I am a fan of nuked blues at the right price..

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They’ve been irradiating diamonds to turn them blue for many years. At least since the ’60’s.
Light brown diamonds are the best candidates. Brown diamonds are among the least costly which determined the price of irradiated blues. For this reason , natural irradiated blue diamonds are generally much much less expensive than colorless natural diamonds.
Lab diamonds have added a new wrinkle from my perspective. Before we started carrying lab diamonds I avoided any treated diamonds. But lab grown diamonds are commonly treated ( HPHT or other treatments.
Therefore I gave up my objections to treated stones in lab grown.
The price matrix of lab colored diamonds is interesting.
In the past 18 months, the price of colorless lab diamonds has dropped precipitously. But fancy colored lab diamonds have maintained their prices.

@smitcompton…. Did you feel that $2900 was too high or too low?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Dumb question: do irradiated LB diamonds become the same shade of blue as mined diamonds with the same treatment? I ask because my NP has a ring of blue and white diamonds that I'm guessing was purchased before the advent of lab grown. It's a lovely ring and she is justafiably proud of it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dumb question: do irradiated LB diamonds become the same shade of blue as mined diamonds with the same treatment? I ask because my NP has a ring of blue and white diamonds that I'm guessing was purchased before the advent of lab grown. It's a lovely ring and she is justafiably proud of it.
Depends on the process more than anything.
While nuking diamonds to turn them blue is old tech, there are newer processes that can include annealing after nuking and other things.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’ve been irradiating diamonds to turn them blue for many years. At least since the ’60’s.
Light brown diamonds are the best candidates. Brown diamonds are among the least costly which determined the price of irradiated blues. For this reason , natural irradiated blue diamonds are generally much much less expensive than colorless natural diamonds.
Lab diamonds have added a new wrinkle from my perspective. Before we started carrying lab diamonds I avoided any treated diamonds. But lab grown diamonds are commonly treated ( HPHT or other treatments.
Therefore I gave up my objections to treated stones in lab grown.
The price matrix of lab colored diamonds is interesting.
In the past 18 months, the price of colorless lab diamonds has dropped precipitously. But fancy colored lab diamonds have maintained their prices.

@smitcompton…. Did you feel that $2900 was too high or too low?

Hi,

The price of the 1.02 irr. blue at 2900.00 was high to me They had three others listed. A 2 ctw irr. diamond was listed at $8000.00--the other two were in-between. My diamonds are 1.40 and 1.60, but i1-12. Theie diamonds were vs.

I bought these in 2005 before Pricescope. These were my first jewelry*(stones) purchase for , what I thought was a large amount of money. I knew nothing. This is a story I remember with some pleasure. I bought the stones and decided to take them to a Mall jeweler to see what they thought of my perspective purchase. I explained my visit to a young woman behind the counter and showed her the diamonds. I asked her if she thought it was worth buying. She got so excited and actually went around the store to the other salespeople and showed them the blue diamonds. A crowd formed. Look at the blue diamonds. They all agree I should purchase these and more if I could. Isn't innocence and ignorance wonderful?
I kept them and set them and had them appraised--only to find out when I got to pricescope, they had no value. The truth is they gave me pleasure and now my niece gets pleasure from them as well. After all we have blue diamonds. OH, I paid about #300.00 for each one.
My black diamond is 2 ctw and cost $200.00. In my mind I was in the Big Time.

Annette

Annette

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

I can tell you that I have seen a few different colors in irr blue diamonds. They are usually a medium darkish blue , a blue-green, and I have seen a light blue irr. blue that was lovely, and I'd say beautiful.

A young woman posted it asking for opinions, for she wanted it for her engagement ring. After some back and forth Wink told her he thought she ought to purchase it. The price was so right and the stone such a nice color, that I liked Wink more and more. A truly honest man. I hope our poster is happy with that irr light blue diamond.

Just off hand I'd say now we should refer to irr.diamonds as EGirr. diamonds. Maybe their status will be uplifted.. After all, they are half in the purist camp, and half in treated camp. Who knows. I still like mine,, but I am a colored stone lover, whether diamonds or gemstones

Annette

The do come in yellow or green as well.

Last edited:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI,

I just want to complete the story. After I set the stones I wanted them appraised, as I thought they had some value. I set one Harry Winston style-two baquettes , one on each side. The other was a chrvron style with rows of white, and blue. I was the blue king at this time and had purchased small blue ones and had a row of blue and a row of white, with the larger stone in the center. The small stones were channel set.

The first thing the jeweler told me was that his bench jeweler loved the chevron ring. He looked at it and said he liked it very much himself. He handed me the appraisals and I nearly fainted. The Harry Winston style was appraised for $3,400. The Chevron ring, which both jewelers liked was $4200. So someone gave them value. Both in 14 kt gold

The baguettes and the white stones in the chevron style ring were all czs. I had told them this. The rings do look good. After several yrs and some education I knew this was a false read. But they did make me happy and still look good.

Annette

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I didn't think I'd have so much to say about my irradiated diamonds. One more thing: I went to James Allen's website and they had a blue irradiated blue diamond calculator. A 1 Ctw is $2500 and larger go up from there. I am shocked. Other websites show the same values. I'm rich. haha
There are nice ones out there.

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results