shape
carat
color
clarity

irradiated blue diamonds - do they revert to their original colour?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leaf Girl

Rough_Rock
Hi All

I asked a jeweller in the city today if he ever has irradiated blue diamonds. He told me no because they are treated and they think it is un-ethical to sell them. I asked why and he told me that the treatment gives the stone a half life of between 25-50 years and then they will revert back to their original colour.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I love the vibrant blue-green colour of irradiated blue diamonds and was hoping to get one in my engagement ring, but now I''m wondering if its a good idea.

Thanks for your help!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Leaf Girl - all the sources I´ve read state that the treatment is permanent. In fact, the British Museum has a diamond treated in 1914 (by Crookes, who developed the first diamond irradiation treatment) which hasn''t changed colour (but it is still radioactive, since the treatment was rather more brutal than today''s).

Many high-end jewellers and coloured diamond dealers, however, do refuse to deal with the irradiated stones, partly because they are lower quality (in general, the stones that are treated are included, off colour, etc), partly to avoid market acceptance of these.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not heard of any irradiated blue diamonds reverting back to the original colour - the treatment seems to hold permanently. I do not think the sale of any gemstone or jewellery (treated and untreated) is unethical as long as all treatments are disclosed honestly and upfront.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
I have some irradiated blues, and they''re beautiful. My husband bought them for me on our honeymoon and I
30.gif
them. I think the color can change if the treated diamonds are exposed to some very high heat, but they''re fine for your average everyday wear. I''ve also seen surface-treated diamonds, and I believe those can change.

IMO, it''s only unethical to sell them if you don''t disclose their irradiation.
2.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
A diamond which is truly irradiated (only) has a stable (permanent) color change.

If the color changes, something else is going on. Coating is the most likely culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results