shape
carat
color
clarity

IRL pics of pearl necklaces & sizes

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm interested in how folks decide what a "good" size is for pearl strands.

Does anyone have pics of themselves in multiple sizes of strands so I can get a sense of relative size? It's hard to find reliable info online, especially because model pics dont give any info about the person's height,build, etc.

I can start! Pics of me wearing a freshwater strand (that I've never liked on me--pastel colors dont flatter my skin tone). Size is approx 8.5-9.5 for each pearl since they arent totally round.

I think this is too big for my comfort if it were a daily wear strand.

20220809_113249.jpg 20220809_113211.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
pearls not too big

=)2

but like you, i would like to see shorter and longer
ive found with more peal wear im going shorter and longer now

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For an extreme difference, heres my 3.5-4mm vietnamese strand from Cees. Too small for me in terms of a daily wear "perfect" strand, but great to layer or for casual days.

20220809_222159.jpg 20220809_222031.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For an extreme difference, heres my 3.5-4mm vietnamese strand from Cees. Too small for me in terms of a daily wear "perfect" strand, but great to layer or for casual days.

20220809_222159.jpg 20220809_222031.jpg

I love these!!! They’re super sweet on you!!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I love larger pearls:

- goldens, 12-14mm
- purple freshwater 11-13mm
- multi Tahitians 11-15mm

98435309-F45E-4D41-9887-FC5194879B00.jpeg 992A59FB-EBD5-4C21-8FE2-BEE7F3A6D67D.jpeg

Attachments

• 08EAE035-FE44-4E90-8EB7-24ACE4856D23.jpeg
    08EAE035-FE44-4E90-8EB7-24ACE4856D23.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 31

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No photos as they are not easily assessible, sorry!

However, I started off with small rice crispies pearls in mid 90s when I was going through my craft stage in life. Single strands were too small for me already so I made double twisty strands for myself.

The first grown up strand was a strand of dyed black Akoya about 8mm bought in UK and cost a small fortune (that was before internet shopping and before I joined jewellery-related message boards) in the late 90s.

From then on, I knew I need at least 8mm or bigger. I wanted a baroque WSSP worthy to be called a Wilma Flintstone strand.

Now that I am older, and have grown in size, I can definitely wear bigger pearls.

Can't remember the sizes, however, the large baroque Tahitians and the near round silver WSSP strands are about 13mm for the largest pearls.

The one on my bling wish list is a nice round strand of 12-14mm blue Tahitians; and I shan't say no to a large baroque WSSP.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No photos as they are not easily assessible, sorry!

However, I started off with small rice crispies pearls in mid 90s when I was going through my craft stage in life. Single strands were too small for me already so I made double twisty strands for myself.

The first grown up strand was a strand of dyed black Akoya about 8mm bought in UK and cost a small fortune (that was before internet shopping and before I joined jewellery-related message boards) in the late 90s.

From then on, I knew I need at least 8mm or bigger. I wanted a baroque WSSP worthy to be called a Wilma Flintstone strand.

Now that I am older, and have grown in size, I can definitely wear bigger pearls.

Can't remember the sizes, however, the large baroque Tahitians and the near round silver WSSP strands are about 13mm for the largest pearls.

The one on my bling wish list is a nice round strand of 12-14mm blue Tahitians; and I shan't say no to a large baroque WSSP.

when its more convineant (or just when you come accross them) i would love to see the rice crispies

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
when its more convineant (or just when you come accross them) i would love to see the rice crispies

I'll see what I can do as work is a b!t@h at the moment.

I do not believe I have photos of them, and still have them in the house somewhere.

I certainly don't wear them anymore. Care to take them off my hand, free to go to a good home? Some are made with silver findings and semi precious stones. :lol-2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I decided I dont feel badly about thread-jacking my own thread, and I doubt this is worth it's own thread.

Question for @CMN @yssie @MakingTheGrade and others with lovely large pearl collections: do you have any pics of high quality WSS and akoya together you should share? I'm getting confused about which I want. I'm looking for a high quality strand, and was convinced I wanted akoya, but now am tempted by WSS. All I can find online is that WSS are bigger, but that akoya have better/sharper luster. If that's the entire story, then I definitely want akoya, but I feel like it cant be that simple haha.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some comps in this post -https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pepca-pearls.272691/page-2#post-5109168

Top of the line WSS compared to akoya - bigger, less contrasty (can be just as glossy-sharp), smoother skinned, can have more overtone variation, can have stronger overtone colour

Top of the line akoya compared to WSS - smaller, more contrasty (just as glossy-sharp), pearls with a few divots and lumps and bumps and hammered skin is normal even in the best strands, less overtone colour variation, less strong overtone

A full strand of top of the line and excellently-matched akoya is pricey, but doable even for mere mortals. A full strand of top of the line and excellently-matched WSS would be a handsome ransom - if such a strand could even be found! Personally I think the amount of #compromise you’ve got to accept with a WSS strand is much higher than with an akoya strand… So I stick to WSS earrings, pairs are enough difficulty for me :lol:

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll see what I can do as work is a b!t@h at the moment.

I do not believe I have photos of them, and still have them in the house somewhere.

I certainly don't wear them anymore. Care to take them off my hand, free to go to a good home? Some are made with silver findings and semi precious stones. :lol-2:

definatly
work out a price and the shipping
but my email is down right now beacsue my phone died and the stupid phone shop isnt open in the weekend

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
definatly
work out a price and the shipping
but my email is down right now beacsue my phone died and the stupid phone shop isnt open in the weekend

No worries as it is not going to be anytime soon, sorry!

BTW, I switched to Gmail and have multiple accounts as I can access them via my laptop as well as my phone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some comps in this post -https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pepca-pearls.272691/page-2#post-5109168

Top of the line WSS compared to akoya - bigger, less contrasty (can be just as glossy-sharp), smoother skinned, can have more overtone variation, can have stronger overtone colour

Top of the line akoya compared to WSS - smaller, more contrasty (just as glossy-sharp), pearls with a few divots and lumps and bumps and hammered skin is normal even in the best strands, less overtone colour variation, less strong overtone

A full strand of top of the line and excellently-matched akoya is pricey, but doable even for mere mortals. A full strand of top of the line and excellently-matched WSS would be a handsome ransom - if such a strand could even be found! Personally I think the amount of #compromise you’ve got to accept with a WSS strand is much higher than with an akoya strand… So I stick to WSS earrings, pairs are enough difficulty for me :lol:

Those pics are exactly what I needed, thank you!!

I much prefer the contrast of the akoya, and for some reason genuinely prefer circle WSS and GSS pearls, esp the ones I've seen from paspaley. Something about the shape makes my heart happy. So heres hoping I can swing a high quality akoya strand AND a WSS or GSS circle strand.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer the contrast of the akoya, and for some reason genuinely prefer circle WSS and GSS pearls, esp the ones I've seen from paspaley. Something about the shape makes my heart happy. So heres hoping I can swing a high quality akoya strand AND a WSS or GSS circle strand.

That sounds perfect!! :appl: :love:

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Haha lovedogs I love this. “Hmm maybe I should get one of each?” And we are all like, “yeah!!!! Do it!!” But I totally think you should and I’m on that path myself haha.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yssie summed it up well.

If you want smaller pearls - up to 10mm ... then top Akoya. Akoya are mainly ROUND ... yes there are baroque that are round with some wrinkles and a tail.

( just to be clear the below refers to Australian South Sea as that's what I handle... prices for Indonesian will be less likely to induce heart failure)

If you want anything 10+ Then it's WSS . With SS it's the size and shape that really starts to cost you. They can spend years in the water... the longer they are in the water the more things that can go 'wrong' with the preferred round shape. So largish (12-14) and round get pretty pricey... toss in Gem lustre or even AAA and you can almost buy a house. Add a few millimetres and you probably could buy a house.

But the great thing about SS is the variety of shapes. Round, Semi Round, Oval, Drop, Top Dropped, Baroque, Circles, etc Each shape changes the price/momme. (weight measurement) Like LoveDogs ... I love the Circles... the way the light hits all those hills and valleys...you can get wonderful colour. ( like Tahitian circles are so lively) and I love the Drops for earrings and totally love Ovals for a necklace.

Last edited:

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Found this in my phone.
Thought I can just show :P2
WSS of 11-14mm, not an everyday size for me

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'm interested in how folks decide what a "good" size is for pearl strands.

Age dependent as well… SSPs probably better for ladies of a certain age. My colleagues call my SSPs my power pearls and to a certain degree they are.

Those pics are exactly what I needed, thank you!!

SSPs have a certain glow… if you get the right strand, quite flattering (I can’t do yellowish tones for example). Also I’ve seen top top gem grade round SSPs and they start looking a bit like fake plastic beads? Like fake looking you know? Which is why for mine I got an imperfect strand so that I can wear and not feel too much pain/worry, and they are clearly real. Not sure if it makes sense or it’s just me.

Also you don’t need to pay branded (like Paspaley) prices to get really good strands. Same for goldens (and I’ve been to more than a few Jewelmer stores). It helps to stretch your budget if you are not particular about the brand.

Just my two cents.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
CMN - Those Gold SS are gorgeous ! I love circle pearls! Where did they come from ?
It's hard to find good ones!
(I love big pearls too :) )

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
CMN - Those Gold SS are gorgeous ! I love circle pearls! Where did they come from ?
It's hard to find good ones!
(I love big pearls too :) )

Thanks @katbran. Despite the fact that round ones at that size would be $$$, I really like the shapes of the strands that I have and find that it makes them ever so slightly less formal where double rounds would be OTT.

They came from Cees.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks CMN <3 I thought they might have come from Cees - they look very similar to my strands . He chooses well !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results