shape
carat
color
clarity

Invitation Wording Options - Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I''m getting ready to send my invitation designer the wording for the invitations and I''m hoping you girls can double check and offer advice. I have a few variations...let me know which you like, or add something new. Also, what do you guys think? My parents have helped us quite a bit with wedding costs, but we are also paying for it - should I somehow reflect that? Or, leave it like this?

Option 1:
Mr. and Mrs. Parents of ROL
Request the Pleasure of Your Company
At the Marriage of Their Daughter
ROL
To
ROL fiancee
Monday, the Tenth of May
Two Thousand and Ten
At Five O’clock In the Evening
Puerto del Cielo
Hacienda San Angel Hotel
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reception Immediately Following
Villa Leonarda
Option 2:
Puerto del Cielo Chapel
Hacienda San Angel Hotel
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
And Afterwards for a Fiesta at Villa Leonarda
Option 3:
Puerto del Cielo
Hacienda San Angel Hotel
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Fiesta Immediately Following the Ceremony
At Villa Leonarda

saster

Rough_Rock
Hey ROL -

I think I like number 3, but I would add "Chapel" after Puerto del Cielo, as you had in the second one. The last one that you posted has a more playful, casual tone than the first option, which I think is fitting for a wedding in Mexico, and it is less awkwardly worded than the second. It just seems to flow better:)

As for the wording in regards to your parents, we have the same situation, but chose to just leave it as "______ and ______ Saster invite you to", since they are really doing a lot, and I thought it was a nice way to honor them. (We skipped the Mr. and Mrs. because my parent''s always insist everyone call them by their first name. Whatever makes them happy! haha)

ps - so jealous of a sunny, beachy wedding! le sigh. It will be so gorgeous! Especially with that dress you have!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer option 2, it is the most correct option (grammatically) as well as the most formal. Are you having a very formal wedding?

That''s the option we used for our own invitations.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I agree with saster and would go with the modified number 3. My fiance and I are paying for our wedding, my parents are divorced, and his father passed away when he was young, so we are using:

Together with their familes,
monkeyprincess and monkeyprince
request the pleasure of your company.....

That might be an option. But if your parents have been helping quite a bit, I think it is a matter of respect to include them. Nobody really cares who is footing the bill anyway, you know?

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 3:14:09 PM
Author: saster
Hey ROL -

I think I like number 3, but I would add 'Chapel' after Puerto del Cielo, as you had in the second one. The last one that you posted has a more playful, casual tone than the first option, which I think is fitting for a wedding in Mexico, and it is less awkwardly worded than the second. It just seems to flow better:)

As for the wording in regards to your parents, we have the same situation, but chose to just leave it as '______ and ______ Saster invite you to', since they are really doing a lot, and I thought it was a nice way to honor them. (We skipped the Mr. and Mrs. because my parent's always insist everyone call them by their first name. Whatever makes them happy! haha)

ps - so jealous of a sunny, beachy wedding! le sigh. It will be so gorgeous! Especially with that dress you have!!!
Ditto- was exactly what I was thinking.

I think I am going to steal some of your wording and use Fiesta to follow as well. Never thought of that and we are getting married in Riviera Maya.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I was kinda diggin'' option 2 or 3 myself, with the use of Fiesta. It is not a super formal wedding. We will have a more formal feeling to the ceremony and the reception is cocktail style with heavy apps and food stations, so it will have a much more casual feel...which is why I liked the use of "fiesta."

So, I''ll put "chapel" in after "Puerto del Cielo" - but I was sort of toying with this, as it is not an actual chapel...and I''m using "pleasure of your company" vs. "honour of your presence" because of that. Thoughts?

Other ideas - with a space between the wording above, different font - sort of how you usually see "Dinner and Dancing to Follow"...

Fiesta Following at Villa Leonarda

Fiesta to Follow at Villa Leonarda

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
imo, if it''s not a chapel by name, don''t use chapel & keep "the pleasure of your company"

and i like "fiesta to follow at villa leonarda"

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 7:39:35 PM
Author: lulu66
imo, if it''s not a chapel by name, don''t use chapel & keep ''the pleasure of your company''

and i like ''fiesta to follow at villa leonarda''
Here is more info...on their website they call it a "private chapel" - linky - and "special events room." Hmmm...

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Definitely use the fiesta line!

If it''s a private chapel, I would add "chapel" -- just so people understand it''s not on a beach or in a hotel conference room, etc.

beltane

Shiny_Rock
LOVE the "fiesta"! Very sweet!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I like the 3rd option.

We used "Beachside Fiesta to Follow" on our invites and I think it helped create a playful/casual feel that we wanted.

ETA: "Fiesta to Follow at Villa Leonarda" gets my vote.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 7:52:20 PM
Author: Rock_of_Love

imo, if it''s not a chapel by name, don''t use chapel & keep ''the pleasure of your company''

Here is more info...on their website they call it a ''private chapel'' - linky - and ''special events room.'' Hmmm...

looking at the site & photos (sooooo beautiful, btw!! i''m completely excited to see your photos now.), if you are having it set up w/the pews, like in photos 2 & 3, i would use "chapel" and change the invite accordingly. if it''s being set up w/tables & chairs, i wouldn''t use "chapel." again, just my opinion
3.gif
i still prefer "fiesta to follow at villa leonarda" after a space at the end of the invite.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 1:29:01 AM

Here is more info...on their website they call it a ''private chapel'' - linky - and ''special events room.'' Hmmm...

looking at the site & photos (sooooo beautiful, btw!! i''m completely excited to see your photos now.), if you are having it set up w/the pews, like in photos 2 & 3, i would use ''chapel'' and change the invite accordingly. if it''s being set up w/tables & chairs, i wouldn''t use ''chapel.'' again, just my opinion
3.gif
i still prefer ''fiesta to follow at villa leonarda'' after a space at the end of the invite.
I''m planning to use the pews, so it will look a lot like a chapel. So, in that case, do you think I should change it to "honour of your presence"???

So confused!
6.gif

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 11:43:56 AM
Date: 1/28/2010 1:29:01 AM

looking at the site & photos (sooooo beautiful, btw!! i''m completely excited to see your photos now.), if you are having it set up w/the pews, like in photos 2 & 3, i would use ''chapel'' and change the invite accordingly. if it''s being set up w/tables & chairs, i wouldn''t use ''chapel.'' again, just my opinion
3.gif
i still prefer ''fiesta to follow at villa leonarda'' after a space at the end of the invite.

I''m planning to use the pews, so it will look a lot like a chapel. So, in that case, do you think I should change it to ''honour of your presence''???

So confused!
6.gif

if it were me? yep. i''d have it read:

Request the Honor(or Honour) of Your Presence
ROL
To
ROL fiancee
Monday, the Tenth of May
Two Thousand and Ten
Puerto del Cielo Chapel
Hacienda San Angel Hotel
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Fiesta to follow at Villa Leonarda

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 12:08:56 AM
Author: CDNinNYC
I like the 3rd option.

We used 'Beachside Fiesta to Follow' on our invites and I think it helped create a playful/casual feel that we wanted.

ETA: 'Fiesta to Follow at Villa Leonarda' gets my vote.
I love this!!! I am totally stealing the beachside fiesta to follow. It's perfect. CDinNYC, you had Elizabeth Medina as your photog right? I am currently deciding between her and another company....I think I will going with the other company though but she is a close second. Her pics are wonderful!

I like what lulu wrote in last reply for wording. I don't know much about honor or honour. If the ceremony is religious I would use honour, but may want to google or Ms Manners that. I can tell you I NEVER notice this stuff when I receive invites.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 12:58:46 PM
Author: nkarma
I love this!!! I am totally stealing the beachside fiesta to follow. It''s perfect. CDinNYC, you had Elizabeth Medina as your photog right? I am currently deciding between her and another company....I think I will going with the other company though but she is a close second. Her pics are wonderful!

I like what lulu wrote in last reply for wording. I don''t know much about honor or honour. If the ceremony is religious I would use honour, but may want to google or Ms Manners that. I can tell you I NEVER notice this stuff when I receive invites.

Hi nkarma! Yes, we used Elizabeth Medina; she was wonderful. My only regret was not booking a TTD session with her. Do you have a thread started on your wedding plans?

Sorry for the threadjack, RoL!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
No worries about the threadjack! I looked into Elizabeth Medina, too, after seeing CDNinNYC''s pics. She is really amazing, but a tad too expensive for me. I think it was becasue she would''ve had to travel from where she is to Puerto Vallarta.

Anyway, back to topic...basically the only guidance I have on "pleasure of your company" vs. "honour of your presence" is that the former is for a secular location and the latter is for a house of worship.

I don''t necessarily consider this private chapel to be a house of worship...but it is very chapel-like. I don''t know, I think I may be more comfortable with "pleasure..." because of that. Also, we are trying to coordinate a catholic priest for our ceremony, but that means bringing someone down from the states, as they don''t allow catholic weddings physically outside of the church in Mexico. The likelihood of that actually happening is slim...so most likely the ceremony will not be religious.

Now I''m thinking "pleasure of your company"...right?

cara

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the others, I'd use 'Fiesta to follow at Villa Leonarda', nice and festive without being too formal.

I'd use 'Chapel' on the ceremony location to clue guests into the kind of place the ceremony is at, ie. not a beach.

I'd go with 'pleasure of your company' rather than 'hono(u)r...' because a) you are more comfortable with it and b) this 'chapel' is more a decorating style than consecrated house of worship and you may not be having a religious ceremony. I'm not an expert, but I can't see using 'honor of your presense' for a Vegas chapel wedding just because its in a chapel and officiated by a person of the cloth, so to speak?

On that note, if you will be getting legally married in Mexico, keep in mind that they have a more thorough separation of church and state there and you will have to be legally married by a civil official in addition to the priest, even if you manage to find a priest willing to marry you in your chapel. I have only been to one wedding in Mexico, and it was awesome, but the first ceremony also in a chapel next to a hotel was officiated by a priest in Spanish and was an honest hour long. Then at the reception the bride and groom went through another enternally-long marriage ceremony by the government official. The b&g thought this would be a quickie 5 min affair but the legal officient never got that memo so while everyone else was enjoying the reception the bride and groom were sitting at their sweetheart table bored out of their minds going through their second hour-long ceremony. Even the mother of the bride walked away! Anyway, I would only get a priest if you get the legal marriage at a different time (either in the US or earlier in the day in Mexico) or you have some connection with the government official and they can promise to keep it quick!

Oh, one last thought, are you interested in listing your FI's parents on the invite? It is a nice touch if you think they would care and you don't mind getting a touch more formal and adding another line. They can just be added as his parent's rather than hosts to stay away from the money issue:

ROL
To
ROL fiancee
Son of Mr. and Mrs. Parents of ROL's fiancee

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, cara! Lots of great advice!!

We are not going to do the civil portion in Mexico. From my understanding, if we bring a catholic priest down with us, the parish here in the states "legitimizes" the marriage, as they have given their permission to wed in Mexico...so, we''ll have to just file for a license, I think. If we go with just a regular officiant in Mexico, we will do the justice of the peace back here when we return.

Also, I''ve been going back and forth about adding in his parents...they are divorced and also haven''t exactly helped a whole lot. I was hoping his mom and stepdad would offer to pay for the rehearsal dinner, but I doubt that will happen. On the flip side, my parents have helped quite a bit - completely to my surprise - as they aren''t really in a position to do so...but I guess they had some $$ tucked away that they really wanted us to have.

Anyway, I guess I need to give it some thought...

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
ok, ROL, after reading all the new info, unless you are sure that a priest would be officiating your ceremory, i''d say use "pleasure of your company" but still keep the chapel designation in the location information. (i''m changing my mind on this a lot
25.gif
) i think it boils down to you & fi being comfortable w/the wording of your invitation & expressing needed information to your guests. as for adding fi''s parents if they haven''t financially contributed they are not "required" to be added to the invite. i would only say, keep in mind when deciding whether or not to add them if your parents'' feelings would be bruised b/c they are contributing & this is a way to honor them and their contribution to your guests. again, final decision is up to you & fi. so, here you go:

ROL
To
ROL fiancee
Monday, the Tenth of May
Two Thousand and Ten
Puerto del Cielo Chapel
Hacienda San Angel Hotel
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

so, whatcha thinkin'' now???

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 6:31:55 PM
ok, ROL, after reading all the new info, unless you are sure that a priest would be officiating your ceremory, i''d say use ''pleasure of your company'' but still keep the chapel designation in the location information. (i''m changing my mind on this a lot
25.gif
) i think it boils down to you & fi being comfortable w/the wording of your invitation & expressing needed information to your guests. as for adding fi''s parents if they haven''t financially contributed they are not ''required'' to be added to the invite. i would only say, keep in mind when deciding whether or not to add them if your parents'' feelings would be bruised b/c they are contributing & this is a way to honor them and their contribution to your guests. again, final decision is up to you & fi. so, here you go:

ROL
To
ROL fiancee
Monday, the Tenth of May
Two Thousand and Ten
Puerto del Cielo Chapel
Hacienda San Angel Hotel
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

so, whatcha thinkin'' now???
YUP! This is what I''m goin'' with!! Finally...phew! I knew I needed your help!!

cara

Ideal_Rock
By putting his parents in the ''son of...'' position, you are not listing them as anything other than his parents. Ie. they are not hosts, you are not implying that they are hosting this event or anything. But since they are divorced they will need two lines and that will make it longer:

Mr. ROL fiancee
Son of Ms. fiancee''s mom
and Mr. fiancee''s dad

or something like that.

On the legal piece of paper front, I didn''t know that you could get a US license for a wedding actually performed in Mexico! That''s unexpected! Either way, Catholic priests in the US are also sometimes sticklers for the house of worship wedding venue. But I''m sure you''ll have a wonderful wedding either way!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results