shape
carat
color
clarity

Intro!

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking on PS intermittently for a few months now but only recently wandered over to LIW and decided to sign up for an account. Forgive me if I am not familiar with all the acronyms and customs (like... what is this "dust" you speak of?)

SO and I have been together for 2 years, and have lived together for one. Cheesy as it is, I think I've always known I wanted to marry him, but I would consider myself a LIW for the past 6-8 months. I started browsing for settings and dropping hints in the summer, and we would have conversations that sort of hinted at a timeline. At first I wanted him to surprise me, but since reading PS and browsing I have realized just how picky I am! (I think he knows this too, as I have pretty much "ruined" Christmas and birthdays by picking out my own present hehe) I sent him an email with some example settings and qualities that I liked (round, thin band, micropave on the band, detailing on the shank) in September but he never brought it up or did any looking.

Then in the past few weeks, it seems like everyone has been getting engaged and his parents/brother started "jokingly" asking when we're getting engaged so it has been top of mind. I may have also gotten visibly frustrated/upset with him a few times because while he said he was emotionally ready (and we are financially comfortable) he just wasn't making any effort to get the damn ring! (I may have accused him of being lazy :oops: ) So he said we can go shopping and I took it from there and got an appointment the next day lol. I was expecting to just look around and see what looks good on me (size and setting styles) but we ended up buying a ring! That was last weekend.

I won't say too much about it right now as I want to save it for the reveal, but since it is custom it is going to take 6 weeks to come in. I told him not to keep me waiting for too long once it arrives, but I didn't think that this waiting would be so hard! I thought that the indefinite kind of waiting on him was bad but now that I know it's coming soon each day feels soo long. And the worst part is that I can't talk about it with anyone so I really need you LIW ladies!!

Also I know it's selfish because I am getting what I want and it's beautiful, but I wish he had gotten his act together sooner (or I had been more aggressive in dragging him to a store sooner ;-) ) so that I could be engaged by the holidays. There are so many family functions coming up and I know everyone is going to be asking - I want to show off the sparkly! But on the other hand I should be happy not to be "ugh another one on my newsfeed" during the peak holiday season.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share and please add me to the list!

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome Boysenberry! :wavey:

It sounds like you wont be waiting too long but I know that any sort of wait can feel like an eternity. :wink2:

Can't wait to see your ring, it sounds like you have excellent taste!

I hope he doesnt keep you waiting too long once you have the ring. A few ladies' SOs (significant others) here, myself included, have the ring... and we are patiently (well, some days...) waiting. :Up_to_something:

Feel free to come vent anytime here!

As for the acronyms...I am still a little new here and dont use many of them so maybe one of the veterans can point us to a list.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi boysenberry! :wavey: Welcome aboard. I hope your time as a LIW is short and sweet. You've already gotten over the big hurdles (marriage conversation, ring shopping and ring selection), so take some solace in that during your wait.

Hopefully your boyfriend won't hold onto the ring too long. I'm looking forward to seeing what style ring you chose.

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
Thanks ladies! I will tell you that the ring we ended up getting wasn't on my radar at all! I always thought I wanted a pave band (I love the Ritani and Beverly K settings in pictures) and when I tried them on I did like them, but it was kind of matter-of-fact, like oh, that is pretty. And then I thought I should probably try a solitaire just to rule it out, and I fell in love with it and nothing else compared! SO says that it was his idea to try the solitaire so I will give him credit, especially since I took away his ring choosing privileges :lol: It has a very thin band, great detailing on the basket, and definitely makes the stone look bigger -- ahhh I think about it every day (maybe every hour lol)

I feel like it was almost an impulsive purchase because I didn't look at hundreds of settings or diamonds like everyone on PS tends to do but I don't think I made a bad decision because even though diamonds are all science and numbers, ultimately buying your e-ring is an emotional decision, right? So I went with my gut!

For what it's worth I live in New York and got the ring at Greenwich Jewelers and they were a dream to work with.

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
mary poppins|1354305136|3319453 said:
I hope he doesnt keep you waiting too long once you have the ring. A few ladies' SOs (significant others) here, myself included, have the ring... and we are patiently (well, some days...) waiting.

And I don't know how you ladies do it!! If I knew it was in the house I would probably propose to myself! :naughty:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome! It sounds like you have picked out a beautiful, unique ring! I can totally relate about wanting to show off your sparkly at the upcoming family functions. My SO's (significant other) holiday party is this weekend, where he has three newly engaged coworkers. I'm dreading it- because I used to work there, too, and so I'm still friends with a lot of those people. But also, I KNOW the pressure is going to be laid down on M and I, big time. I just hope there's enough beer there that I can forget about it. :twirl: :wink2:

Which acronyms are you confused about? If you throw some out there, we'd love to explain them! (In fact, there's still some I don't know).

As far as the dust- when I joined, it seemed like it's just a thing you do to help bring luck to a LIW. I don't know how to explain it, really. And I could be totally wrong. I've been here almost two years, but I still feel like a newbie sometimes!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! I can't wait to see your ring!

I've been around PS for many many years now so if you have any specific questions re: acronyms, shoot them here and I'll help!

lkc84

Rough_Rock
Hi and welcome!! :wavey:

Hope your wait is short and sweet. Can't wait to see your ring!!!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Hello and welcome!

I can't wait for handshots - I love living vicariously ;-)

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome! Can't wait to see pics of the ring! :wavey:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!! We are more than happy to help explain any weird acronyms or sayings you aren't familiar with! So exciting that you just happened to go shopping and got a ring already. Hope that means your stay will be short and sweet!

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the warm welcome!

As for acronyms, I think I've been able to figure out what they mean more or less. Like DSS = diamond shrinkage syndrome?

Speaking of which, I haven't even gotten my diamond yet but I already fear that it is too small! I still don't want to reveal TOO much before the pictures but I will reveal that it is 1.32 carats. I had no idea what would be a good size/budget so I just kind of arbitrarily set one for SO. He has no clue what is normal either so went along with it (I am very lucky that we have a good financial situation). I am also really bad at judging how big things are when I see them on other people, especially with so many factors like ring size, perspective, setting, etc. When I tried on my 1.32 I thought it was big enough, and I told myself not to be greedy, but then when I was talking to a good friend she said she expected something more in the 1.7-2.0 range!

So question for you ladies - how did you determine your ideal (not sky is the limit ideal, but under the circumstances reasonable ideal) size and set the budget?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
boysenberry|1354376306|3319881 said:

As for acronyms, I think I've been able to figure out what they mean more or less. Like DSS = diamond shrinkage syndrome?

Speaking of which, I haven't even gotten my diamond yet but I already fear that it is too small! I still don't want to reveal TOO much before the pictures but I will reveal that it is 1.32 carats. I had no idea what would be a good size/budget so I just kind of arbitrarily set one for SO. He has no clue what is normal either so went along with it (I am very lucky that we have a good financial situation). I am also really bad at judging how big things are when I see them on other people, especially with so many factors like ring size, perspective, setting, etc. When I tried on my 1.32 I thought it was big enough, and I told myself not to be greedy, but then when I was talking to a good friend she said she expected something more in the 1.7-2.0 range!

So question for you ladies - how did you determine your ideal (not sky is the limit ideal, but under the circumstances reasonable ideal) size and set the budget?

You got it! DSS is diamond shrinkage syndrome. 1.32 is a great size...I wonder why your friend said that, does she have a ring that size, or was she just making assumptions based on what she knows about you and SO's financial situation?

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
pandabee|1354377306|3319896 said:
You got it! DSS is diamond shrinkage syndrome. 1.32 is a great size...I wonder why your friend said that, does she have a ring that size, or was she just making assumptions based on what she knows about you and SO's financial situation?

No she wasn't saying that it was what she expected of me and SO, just that "1.7-2.0 seemed like a reasonable size" -- she herself is not engaged but that is what she expects I guess. It just made me feel a little unsure about what the norm is, because she and I are in similar places in life. I know a lot of what defines the norm depends on where you live and what kind of people you hang out with. I feel like the yuppie crowd in nyc (of which I must admit I am a part of :oops:) and the waspy crowd that SO's family belong to are probably higher than the national average in terms of diamond size. I definitely feel very lucky to get a 1.32!! But was just curious how budgets and expectations are set for other people.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I think there is a post somewhere but 1.32ct is def over the norm in most areas! That's weird that your friend said that. Is her financial situation good too? I'm pretty modest and when trying one rings, I actually was quite happy with .75 ct but we decided anything around 1ct looks nice on me. I do not have a ring yet, just waiting for him to buy it and then surprise me....well surprise me with engagement, I already know what he's buying.

I think everyone is different when it comes down to size. If you have tiny fingers a 1ct rock will look bigger obv than someone with a bigger finger. He's the chart from an older post of a rb and finger coverage!

_2130.jpg

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock

I think it all depends on your situation and what you and your SO are comfortable spending. SO and I knew that this was my forever ring, neither of us wanted to do an upgrade program so we chose our budget based on that. My jeweler consigned to sell a diamond for another customer and it just so happen to be the shape I wanted. We looked at and it fell in love. We wound up getting the diamond of our dreams (2.21 asscher) on my size 7 finger. It will look smaller than a RB because it is a step cut but I am perfectly okay with that because it is what I wanted. We will be on the big size of friends and even some family, but as long as you and your SO are comfortable with the decision then no one else should really have an input on the size of your ring.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Schafenm|1354379346|3319922 said:

I think it all depends on your situation and what you and your SO are comfortable spending. SO and I knew that this was my forever ring, neither of us wanted to do an upgrade program so we chose our budget based on that. My jeweler consigned to sell a diamond for another customer and it just so happen to be the shape I wanted. We looked at and it fell in love. We wound up getting the diamond of our dreams (2.21 asscher) on my size 7 finger. It will look smaller than a RB because it is a step cut but I am perfectly okay with that because it is what I wanted. We will be on the big size of friends and even some family, but as long as you and your SO are comfortable with the decision then no one else should really have an input on the size of your ring.

I cannot wait to see your ring!!! Sidenote, any more update on your timeline?

boysenberry, if your friend hasn't started looking yet, she may not have a true idea how much that size diamond really is. I know people try to be conscious of what size your friends/social circle has to try to stay around that, but in the end none of that matters and you should go with whatever *you* like and are comfortable with!!

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy|1354378640|3319915 said:
I think there is a post somewhere but 1.32ct is def over the norm in most areas! That's weird that your friend said that. Is her financial situation good too? I'm pretty modest and when trying one rings, I actually was quite happy with .75 ct but we decided anything around 1ct looks nice on me. I do not have a ring yet, just waiting for him to buy it and then surprise me....well surprise me with engagement, I already know what he's buying.

I think everyone is different when it comes down to size. If you have tiny fingers a 1ct rock will look bigger obv than someone with a bigger finger. He's the chart from an older post of a rb and finger coverage!

Thank you for the chart! Any chance you can link the original thread? Is there a certain amount of finger coverage that is generally considered ideal? My ring size is 5.25.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
boysenberry|1354381751|3319954 said:
LoveLikeCrazy|1354378640|3319915 said:

Thank you for the chart! Any chance you can link the original thread? Is there a certain amount of finger coverage that is generally considered ideal? My ring size is 5.25.
I did a quick search, these are kinda old threads... But if you scroll down to the bottom of the one I'm linking, there are a group of threads someone posted.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/average-size-diamond.110652/

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
pandabee|1354380471|3319941 said:
Schafenm|1354379346|3319922 said:

I cannot wait to see your ring!!! Sidenote, any more update on your timeline?

boysenberry, if your friend hasn't started looking yet, she may not have a true idea how much that size diamond really is. I know people try to be conscious of what size your friends/social circle has to try to stay around that, but in the end none of that matters and you should go with whatever *you* like and are comfortable with!!

Timeline is April, but I have been catching little things he says and I am thinking he might to do a Christmas proposal! I am not sure how I feel about it, I love Christmas but am not sure about him proposing on Christmas morning. We will see I guess :D

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I live in NY too, and my first e-ring diamond was 0.81 ct. The stone was on the smaller side, but it didn't bother me that much. Don't worry too much, I'm sure your 1.32 ct diamond will look great! Although I see big diamonds on older people's hands on a daily basis, but no on young people's hands. I assume you're still young? Enjoy your ring, the diamond will be definitely noticeable on your finger!

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
Sakuracherry|1354406151|3320176 said:
Hi! I live in NY too, and my first e-ring diamond was 0.81 ct. The stone was on the smaller side, but it didn't bother me that much. Don't worry too much, I'm sure your 1.32 ct diamond will look great! Although I see big diamonds on older people's hands on a daily basis, but no on young people's hands. I assume you're still young? Enjoy your ring, the diamond will be definitely noticeable on your finger!

Thank you! I really should wait until I get the ring before DSS sets in :tongue: I can't wait to share with you ladies! And yes, I am 26 so there could be upgrade potential in the future :naughty:

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
boysenberry|1354308235|3319516 said:
I hope he doesnt keep you waiting too long once you have the ring. A few ladies' SOs (significant others) here, myself included, have the ring... and we are patiently (well, some days...) waiting.

And I don't know how you ladies do it!! If I knew it was in the house I would probably propose to myself! :naughty:

Love this!

I have thought about it! :bigsmile:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
antiquesparkler|1354543531|3321237 said:
boysenberry|1354308235|3319516 said:

Love this!

I have thought about it! :bigsmile:

The mental image is making me laugh!

PS. Hi, boysenberry! :wavey:

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
Well I guess I would propose to him, and then keep the ring for myself :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results