shape
carat
color
clarity

Interviews and Appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think he looks great. I will tell you, I saw my BIL this past weekend. He had his head shaved.. No one gave me the heads up.. Pun intended!!

He's a singer, works in advertising and sings in a band on the weekends.... He's a rock star in my book, has several CD's..

But when I saw him bald as an egg?? I was like whoa, but got over it PDQ. I just adore him.

John is very handsome!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
John is really handsome Layla and I am really happy he landed the job.

My son-in-law, also has the shaved head and the goatee.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww.... you guys are so sweet. We weren't asking for compliments (and certainly weren't expecting any) but it's FUN to see John blushing. He doesn't think he's attractive at all, and never has. I think he's cute and I'll probably keep him.
25.gif

And thank you for the congralutions on his job. It means a lot to us. A real ray of light.

As for the topic... it's been such interesting to 'hear' everyone's thoughts on the contemporary trends invading the workplace and the resistance or acceptance of it in different industries. Haven your insight on the difference between conscious appearance traits (hairstyles, tatoos) versus ones that aren't controllable was really interesting and was certainly not something I had thought about before. And yes, John interviews very well... so I'm sure he kicked tail at his interview and that it certainly wasn't his look alone that won the day.

Whitby, thank you, honey. He's always great about doing what it takes for us. His comimtment is absolute and frankly awe-inspiring. It's just something that didn't occur to either of us before that point, else he would have done it immediately upon recieving his first interview request.

As for the bald head. The first four years we were together he kept wanting to go bald and I was against it. Then... I could tell his hair loss was bothering him more and more, so I just stopped caring, wanting him to be comfortable. Now I love it. Honestly I'm not a facial hair fan. But if it makes him happy, once he's established in his position and if he feels comfortable, then it's up to him to bring it back or not.

I interview applicants as well and I can't say that beyond them being clean, well groomed, and appropriately dressed I've given their appearance much thought. I've had enough incompetent and crazy co-workers so I have to say my focus is more on their skills, knowledge, personality and sanity. And honestly if an applicant has all that down, I'm happy. But... I can see how ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL (which rarely happens) appearance might factor in for me. The only time appearance factored for me to date, however was the guy from Intel who interviewed with me in torn faded jeans. And he was in his forties. And our company dress was NOT casual. But that was just inappropriate for me. Because frankly, I was in a tizzy at my last interview because despite my tailored, freshly dry cleaned, italian wool suit and careful grooming I was wearing open toe, instead of closed toe pumps, and I was afraid that would offend.

But the fascinating thing for me is hearing everyone's thoughts on what they consider appropriate or inappropriate at interviews. It's really been a thought provoking thread for me. Especially as I have applicant interviews coming up next week. LOL. Again, competent and sane though, for me, is the most important thing.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
apperance is very important in a people related area.Ive had people inquire about jobs and if they come in jeans or informally dressed then they dont even get the time of day from me no matter what their resume has on it.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
interesting observation, Gypsy. My field is on the creative side, so originality goes a long way. BUT, even within our organization, there''s groups like Sales where it''s all about appearances and the image that you would represent to the client.

A couple of years ago, there was this rumor floating around about a certain cable network and the type of people that were hired to work there. Let''s just say that they had the best-looking booth at all the trade shows! And nope, i''m not talking about the actual structure. Funny thing is that this is a TOTALLY mainstream cable network group- not a trendy one like MTV/Viacom, and not racy like Playboy.
27.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 11:17:23 AM
Author: jewelerman
apperance is very important in a people related area.Ive had people inquire about jobs and if they come in jeans or informally dressed then they dont even get the time of day from me no matter what their resume has on it.

Oh, glad to know that you are that judgemental. Thank goodness I would never have to go in to ask for an application from you! Wow.

This thread is kind of interesting. My brother is a bit of a job-hopper, and for years all he wore was jeans and t-shirts (his idea of "dressing up" is donning a button-down instead of a tee) and he had long hair past his shoulderblades, usually with a baseball cap on. And lo and behold, he ALWAYS got the jobs he wanted and applied for. Since he has cut his hair and taken a bit more care in his dressing? Hardly a nibble.

If you''re a smart employer, you at least look at their previous work history before just snubbing them. I think Gypsy''s husband is smokin'', and I bet he''s smart to boot!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock

My boss is always shocked when girls walk into our store (a bridal boutique) in jeans and ask for an application. I don''t understand why someone would not want to "look the part" when interviewing. Especially with jobs hard to come by lately, why not attempt to look your best?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 2:09:42 PM
Author: OUpeargirl

My boss is always shocked when girls walk into our store (a bridal boutique) in jeans and ask for an application. I don''t understand why someone would not want to ''look the part'' when interviewing. Especially with jobs hard to come by lately, why not attempt to look your best?
AGREED!

If you can''t bother to put forth the effort in the interview process, what does that say about what kind of employee you''ll be?

Obviously that''s not always the case, but it absolutely would be something that crossed my mind if I was hiring.

Even when I was 15, applying for jobs, my mom would make me wear a skirt to pick up applications and go on interviews.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 1:42:15 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
ha, this stirs me as I have a similar story.

I met a guy in 1997, he had very long (mid back) hair and a long goatee (think 5 inchs). He walks in with holey jeans and an black Iron Maiden t-shirt. I noticed his beautiful brown glittering eyes and a smile that was mmm, melt your heart. When he asked me on a date it was a
32.gif
HECK NO! I thought this guy might drag me out in the alley and murder me hahahaha.

Fast forward 7 years, i meet this GORGEOUS guy well dressed, great hair and a barely their 5 o''clock shadow and I HAD to meet this man I WAS IN LURVEEEE
30.gif
- turns out it''s the same guy. Consequently my now DH.
30.gif

I''ll have to dig up a before pic sometime....too funny.
Hee hee. This made me laugh, since the first time I met my DH he had hair down past his shoulders and mutton chop sideburns. We started dating several years later.... after the hair was cut and the goatee grown in!!
3.gif

Gypsy - I''m so glad that John got the job, and find it fascinating that a slight change may have played a part in it. Appearances definitely do make a difference though! With my slightly funky hair, I always have to be very careful when interviewing. Tone down the color if needed, small earrings, business attire etc. I usually leave out the second set of earrings if I think the company I''m interviewing at is wicked conservative. I haven''t had to interview in a while, but it''s a good thing to think about!

What kills me is people that look - ungroomed at all. I mean, you don''t have to have a manicure and a perfect salon hair style, but - sometimes people come in here for interviews and just look sloppy.

I''d take the edgy guy with the bald head and great interview over the guy in the wrinkled suit that needs a haircut any day!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don''t normally see applicants until we call them in for an interview -- so I''m normally I can''t be influenced by their dress or grooming until I''ve reviewed their application and decided that they''re worth interviewing.

I can, however, be influenced by grammar and spelling errors on their application!
2.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I agree..it''s just common sense! Well groomed, and dressed to impress!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, I was always taught to not judge a book by it''s cover. This served me very well in retail--some of the scruffiest people ended up making the biggest purchases. In fact, George Maloof Sr. would have a little fun with this, as a multi-millionaire he would dress up like a homeless person so he could see how compassionate people were--and to see their true character.

Why would that play out any differently than it would for a job? If I happened to be browsing at a store, and think "oh heck, I might as well pick up an application while I''m out!" when obviously I''d be wearing something different and more professional for an interview OR in a work situation.

Frankly, I think the judging a person by their looks is more telling about the person doing the judging than the person being judged.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think we are getting off topic here, ane perhaps that just the way threads evolve. I don't think that it's any great piece of wisdom that appearances matter at interviews.

I went to a top ten law school where they spent many hours telling us about proper grooming for interviews (complete with props such as sample suits) and work for a fortune 500 company. I have been interviewed, and have interviewed people myself.

This wasn't a post asking for advice at all.

My querry was much more specific and I think many of the posters, though maybe not all, got that: To what EXTENT does it matter, and what specific things about appearances matter to you that might surprise others. For me it was surprising that facial hair was something that mattered to people, period, at an interivew (assuming it's well maintained and groomed). So what this thread started out as was a request for thoughtful responses instead of cliche's and statements of the obvious like, "Of course appearances matter."

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 6:05:08 PM
Author: Gypsy
I think we are getting off topic here, ane perhaps that just the way threads evolve. I don''t think that it''s any great piece of wisdom that appearances matter at interviews.

I went to a top ten law school where they spent many hours telling us about proper grooming for interviews (complete with props such as sample suits) and work for a fortune 500 company. I have been interviewed, and have interviewed people myself.

This wasn''t a post asking for advice at all.

My querry was much more specific and I think many of the posters, though maybe not all, got that: To what EXTENT does it matter, and what specific things about appearances matter to you that might surprise others. For me it was surprising that facial hair was something that mattered to people, period, at an interivew (assuming it''s well maintained and groomed). So what this thread started out as was a request for thoughtful responses instead of cliche''s and statements of the obvious like, ''Of course appearances matter.''
Gypsy, on a separate note, that is some gorgeous facial hair your kitty is sporting
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 6:03:09 PM
Author: FrekeChild
You know, I was always taught to not judge a book by it''s cover. This served me very well in retail--some of the scruffiest people ended up making the biggest purchases. In fact, George Maloof Sr. would have a little fun with this, as a multi-millionaire he would dress up like a homeless person so he could see how compassionate people were--and to see their true character.

Frankly, I think the judging a person by their looks is more telling about the person doing the judging than the person being judged.

agreed Freke, especially about the first part.
This is similiar to my dad, who although is pretty well - off, frankly always dresses like a complete bum! He just doesn''t care about fashion etc at all.
When he goes out looking to purchase cars or property, and the sales people that judge his appearance and dismiss him as unworthy - well, it''s their loss.

Gypsy, my apologies for the threadjack, I hope it''s added something.
Actually, your post has made me think about my own Fi for the future, who always sports facial hair in some form or another...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No worries AJ, or Freke. Actually you both on topic. It seems that while both of you notice appearances you believe that they can be decieving and that looking deeper might be worthwhile. I get it
1.gif

Gecko... by the way, I found myself nodding. Rumpled, or dirty, or sloppy is a bigger no-no than facial hair, hair color... tatoos, piercings... whatever. But then, I nod along with you often my dear lizzard.

Wolftress... LMAO. Yes and in her case it IS true. She belongs in prison the little terror. I swear if she was human... San Quentin would be her permanent residence.
21.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 11:57:49 PM
Author: Gypsy
No worries AJ, or Freke. Actually you both on topic. It seems that while both of you notice appearances you believe that they can be decieving and that looking deeper might be worthwhile. I get it
1.gif

Gecko... by the way, I found myself nodding. Rumpled, or dirty, or sloppy is a bigger no-no than facial hair, hair color... tatoos, piercings... whatever. But then, I nod along with you often my dear lizzard.

Wolftress... LMAO. Yes and in her case it IS true. She belongs in prison the little terror. I swear if she was human... San Quentin would be her permanent residence.
21.gif
Aw shucks. I feel loved.
happy%20hearts.gif
In all seriousness though, Adam and I were talking earlier about the possibility of his shaving his head (for the same reasons your hubby took that route) and this thread came up. I have no personal objection, it''s his head, LOL, but I did suggest that he might want to either wait until after the Bar and interviews, or grow the hair back out when the time comes. I refuse to let him shave the goatee though. I like it.
31.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results