shape
carat
color
clarity

Interesting trip

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Today I returned the I1 I''d ordered last week from James Allen. I ended up not liking the look of the inclusions.

Instead of having me send it from New York to Maryland just to have them send it back up to New York again, Jim told me to take it directly to the wholesaler in the diamond district. A fascinating experience. They''re upstairs in one of the buildings on 47th St. To get in, I had to pass through a million metal detectors, surrender my ID, stick my finger in a machine that read my fingerprint, grin at a camera.

The elevator had one of those little TVs in it that you sometimes see nowadays. Usually they show headlines and weather, or ads. This one showed mug shots of men wanted for robbing diamond dealers.

Then when I got upstairs to their suite (and got buzzed through several hundred doors), the wholesaler was sitting with a colleage behind a big desk in a large, bright office with a big window, talking to a customer. They were discussing diamonds in the most casual way, and he (the wholesaler) was actually throwing them across the room at the customer! In their paper wrappers, but still--throwing them. "Here, take a look." And then he''d toss it.

And I haven''t heard so much Yiddish spoken since my Grandpa Joe, may he rest in peace, passed away in the 70s. And I''ve NEVER heard so much Yiddish spoken into cell phones.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you get any diamonds thrown your way?? Say, with more prominent inclusions to your liking??
11.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Alas, no. I''ll have to keep looking.

I didn''t get any decent photos of that one, either, unfortunately.

I loved the way the dealer looked at diamonds without a loupe, holding them about .1 mm away from his eyeball. He brought the tweezers up to his eye so fast and so close, I thought he was going to poke himself in the eye.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
perhaps he was myopic

W2W

Rough_Rock
glitterata,

Who was the wholesaler? Did you ask whether you could buy a stone from him directly?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Interesting to note that there''s no such thing as "wholesale to the public," yet a gazillion companies use the term.

Wholesalers sell to retailers. Here''s the definition from wikipedia.com.... Wholesaling consists of the sale of goods/merchandise to retailers, to industrial, commercial, institutional, or other professional business users or to other wholesalers and related subordinated services.

Not trying to be a wise guy
4.gif
and if I''m wrong about this....someone please correct me
15.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 11:09:23 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Interesting to note that there''s no such thing as ''wholesale to the public,'' yet a gazillion companies use the term.

Wholesalers sell to retailers. Here''s the definition from wikipedia.com.... Wholesaling consists of the sale of goods/merchandise to retailers, to industrial, commercial, institutional, or other professional business users or to other wholesalers and related subordinated services.

Not trying to be a wise guy
4.gif
and if I''m wrong about this....someone please correct me
15.gif

You''re not a wise guy, good post. Clears up a lot for those that don''t know.......
2.gif

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
I love to stop in the Diamond District whenever I''m in NYC, and I''ve had a near-similar experience to Glitterata ... (i.e., getting through the tight security, etc.)

I often remind myself that most of the Hassidic Jews walking along the street are diamond dealers, and they are probably carrying 100''s of thousands of dollars worth of valuable diamonds in their extra-deep pockets -- wrapped only in those paper wrappers!

Unreal!

Tool Guy

Rough_Rock
Lots of funny stuff going on in the diamond business.
28.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
No, I didn''t ask if he''d sell to me directly--I assumed he wouldn''t, since he''s a wholesaler, not a retailer. I didn''t want to insult him. He was doing me a favor by letting me return the diamond directly, saving several days of shipping back and forth before I could get my refund.

Anyway, if anybody accuses me of having committed a crime yesterday afternoon at 3:45, I have a rock-solid alibi. They even have my fingerprint on record.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/23/2006 11:20:13 AM
Author: glitterata
No, I didn''t ask if he''d sell to me directly--I assumed he wouldn''t, since he''s a wholesaler, not a retailer. I didn''t want to insult him. He was doing me a favor by letting me return the diamond directly, saving several days of shipping back and forth before I could get my refund.

Anyway, if anybody accuses me of having committed a crime yesterday afternoon at 3:45, I have a rock-solid alibi. They even have my fingerprint on record.
Sounds like you both exercised sound judgement. It must have been a cool experience for you to experience first hand the inner workings of the diamond business in NYC. I''m still amazed everytime I walk down 47th street, what business deals must take place there everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results