shape
carat
color
clarity

Input on this stone ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bertie17

Rough_Rock

Hi Folks,

I have found the following stone, which is currently on hold, and I am about to make the decision to purchase.

Does anyone have any comments as to this stone ?
Should I be concerned about the fact that the colour is "H" ? I was originally looking for an F-G, but this is the only stone that I have found in the size, quality & cut range which I have been searching for.
As the cut is ideal, I am thinking that it should face up fairly white, any thoughts ?

I have attached the Idealscope of the stone.

Cash Price: $4,959
Stock Number: 7265265
Shape: Signature Round
Laboratory: AGS
Carat Weight: .925
Color: H
Clarity: VS2

Measurements: 6.28x6.32x3.85
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 57%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Girdle: 1.0-1.9
Fluorescence: None
Culet: Pointed

Crown Angle : 34.3°
Crown %: 14.9
Pavillion Angle : 40.8°
Pavillion %: 43.1

I am hoping to make the decision tomorrow so any input from "people in the know" would be most most welcome.

Thanks,

Bertie

Dscn3708.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Hi Bertie,

Welcome to PS. An H color diamond should look very white. The thing about color is its highly subjective. There are those people who are very color sensitive who say that they can tell the difference between an F and a G. I don''t think that''s the majority. I certainly would not be able to detect any color in an H color diamond and certainly not face up. They say that an ideal cut diamond can mask color up to 2 grades, so unless you or your intended are extremely sensitive to slight color variations, there shouldn''t be any problem. An H color diamond represents a great value, I think. Congratulations!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I am no expert here, but your diamond scored well on the HCA and seems to have good numbers. Have you seen it in person yet? As far as the H goes you ought to check out some different colored diamonds at a local jeweler to see how sensitive you are to color. I have F diamonds and H diamonds and personally I cannot see a difference in them once they are set.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! I am no expert as well, but based on the numbers you have given, the depth is good and I really like the table. Have you seen this diamond in person? I am not sensitive to color at all, but there are those who are extremely sensitive to it. If this stone is an ideal cut, after it is set, there shouldn't be any trace of warmth in the stone. Personally, I like the H & I color stones for their prices and the fact that they are still icey white! I don't see any problems with this stone.

Sundial brought up a good point to look at stones of different color at a jewelry store, but make sure they are ideal cut stones as well. That way you can get a better idea of what this stone will look like. Remember to always compare apples to apples.

Oh, BTW, that idealscope image is delish!
30.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Bertie,

Everything about it looks good to me.

Best,

arknuss

Rough_Rock
I might not know what i am talking about, but does it look like there is a bit of light leakage in the centre?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2005 6:22:17 AM
Author: arknuss
I might not know what i am talking about, but does it look like there is a bit of light leakage in the centre?

This is not H&A so the Iscope image is not 'painted' on percfect. At least IMO, this does not mean that there would be any visible difference between this is H&A in person - the arrow pattern in there and I would definitely not call that significant 'leakage'.

This one has passed the threashold where cut precision makes a serious difference: the proportions come by the book and the IS looks faultless - there has always been some allowance for black & white areas beyond the H&A pattern in the name of contrast and contrast brilliance - this one has just a bit of that.

Well, just IMO.

H should be ok by all accounts - definitely hard to tell from at leat the neghboring G grade you were initially considering. However, since you mention color... I noticed two others: E and F, SI1 next to the one you picked. About the same price too. The F-Si1 looks rather tempting - I can't make out the inclusions, and the particular cut (small table & all) reminds me of old brilliants - something good IMO.

8187857.jpg
8157676.jpg

0.92 cts, E-SI1, AGS 0 HCA: 1.8 (TIC) 0.93 cts, F-Si1, GIA (ex-ex) HCA: 1.6 (TIC)
Size: 6.26x6.28x3.86 Size: 6.31x6.35x3.90
Depth: 61.6%, Table: 56% Depth: 61.6%, Table: 53%
Crown Angle : 34.5° Crown Angle : 35°
Pavillion Angle : 41.0° Pavillion Angle : 40.8°
Culet: Pointed Culet: None
Girdle: 0.8-1.9 Girdle: Vthn-Thk, Facteted
Fluorescence: None Fluorescence: None
Lab Comments: None Lab Comments: None

Btw, for all these, the cut pedigree accounts for about 1k premium - for what that matters once you have already decided on a certain cut
34.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 6:22:17 AM
Author: arknuss
Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Sorry, now not sure.

(Edited to add...funny, saw this first yesterday on my office computer, then this am, reading the post above on my different home monitor, I appreciated the possibly more critical element. Now, back on my office computer, having seen the central clear area before, I'm again more critical, but my office monitor does seem more forgiving.)

bertie17

Rough_Rock
Hi RegularGuy,

Youre initial post gave me the confidence to purchase the stone, however your "second thoughts" have me a little ocnfused.
I really appreciate your input, can you clarify what you concerns are ?

Thanks

Bertie

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Hi.

Two questions: first, were did you get the name for the shape (signature round) ? Second, where did you get the Idealscope of the stone ?

That''s it for now !
26.gif

Paul

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 9:23:10 AM
Author: bertie17
Hi RegularGuy,

Youre initial post gave me the confidence to purchase the stone, however your ''second thoughts'' have me a little ocnfused.
I really appreciate your input, can you clarify what you concerns are ?

Thanks

Bertie
Sorry, I''m not an expert; far from it.

The substantive question is, as I understand it...looking at the image on the middle of IS page...how much is your option like it, and btw, why would it be like it? The numbers are good. The IS is to check the numbers. What do you think about the IS yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results