shape
carat
color
clarity

Inoro Gems

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, did any PSers here have purchased from Inoro Gems? And how smooth is the process and what’s the quality of his stones? The owner is a US cutter and cuts his own stones.

Inorogems Instagram

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I follow them on Insta, also. I think the photography is very over-lit, so I'd be curious to see how the stones look in person

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I follow them on Insta, also. I think the photography is very over-lit, so I'd be curious to see how the stones look in person

Thanks, I get what you are talking about. I am looking for chrysoberyl, and found one from his Instagram which interested me. But it to some extent put me in the mist as it looks like he’s not much talked about here.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I have a comparison of gem representation from Inoro gems and thegemtrader.

Skippable info: I was considering a Russian chrome sphene that Inoro cut for Brad from thegemtrader. Inoro uploaded a video of the stone, and Brad uploaded images of it in the listing, after I finally decided not to buy it (Brad was kind enough to reserve it for me for a couple weeks. Despite the rarity of the material, I want better clarity - still looking). I trust Brad's photography, and never brought from Inoro gems. But they have some interesting stuff! I will say, I was skeptical of the high degree of translucency of a large sugilite they had posted - it looked too good to be true in any light other than whatever they were using.

Thegemtrader's listing: https://www.thegemtrader.com/102-ct-chrome-sphene-the-gem-trader-rare-gems

BeFunky-collage.png

Inoro gems - I cant find the insta video link but saved the video and here's screenshots.

BeFunky-collage (2).png

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I have a comparison of gem representation from Inoro gems and thegemtrader.

Skippable info: I was considering a Russian chrome sphene that Inoro cut for Brad from thegemtrader. Inoro uploaded a video of the stone, and Brad uploaded images of it in the listing, after I finally decided not to buy it (Brad was kind enough to reserve it for me for a couple weeks. Despite the rarity of the material, I want better clarity - still looking). I trust Brad's photography, and never brought from Inoro gems. But they have some interesting stuff! I will say, I was skeptical of the high degree of translucency of a large sugilite they had posted - it looked too good to be true in any light other than whatever they were using.

Thegemtrader's listing: https://www.thegemtrader.com/102-ct-chrome-sphene-the-gem-trader-rare-gems

BeFunky-collage.png

Inoro gems - I cant find the insta video link but saved the video and here's screenshots.

BeFunky-collage (2).png

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot! And such comparison is undoubtedly helpful!

it’s always a top consideration whether the vendor demonstrates their gems as accurate as possible. And this is always a tricky part when buying online…

What’s in my mind is that, if my trusted vendor, just like Brad in the case you shared, is comfortable to source a stone from a third party jeweller, is that safe for us, as normal consumer, to assume that jeweller is equally trust worthy? I am aware that your final decision came from the clarity requirement, I just try to use it as an example~

I ask this because the network amongst CS vendors are just complicated that I often have a doubt where I should go for hunting a stone, jeweller who can source stones, one who sells stones only but not finished jewellery which is more of a CS dealer, or directly reach a cutter who I believe to be with extensive knowledge on rough, faceted gems and more likely closer contact with rough source.

Last edited:

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
What’s in my mind is that, if my trusted vendor, just like Brad in the case you shared, is comfortable to source a stone from a third party jeweller, is that safe for us, as normal consumer, to assume that jeweller is equally trust worthy? I am aware that your final decision came from the clarity requirement, I just try to use it as an example~
Good question and tough to answer. I think I would trust the third party more than a random seller, but still remain cautious - make sure they have a return policy, get a feel of their customer service from chatting with them, look for reviews, etc. But I would not fully trust. In fact I would also keep in mind that I don't know if my trusted seller necessarily fully trusts the third party seller.
You used the term jeweller, I don't know about Inoro but Brad isn't a jeweller. Trusting a jeweller is different than trusting a loose gemstone dealer.

I just saw Inoro have an Etsy. If you could buy it through Etsy, though it would probably cost extra, you'd get Etsys buyers protection. Inoro's Etsy also states a 3 day return period, which is more 'offical' if you are unhappy with the stone, than if you buy through IG.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've spoken with them about a few stones over the years, but never purchased. He sent me a video of one of the stones in natural light, which was very helpful. But I couldnt tell you what it looked like IRL vs video because I didnt end up buying

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I ask this because the network amongst CS vendors are just complicated that I often have a doubt where I should go for hunting a stone, jeweller who can source stones, one who sells stones only but not finished jewellery which is more of a CS dealer, or directly reach a cutter who I believe to be with extensive knowledge on rough, faceted gems and more likely closer contact with rough source.

I didn't want to respond to this part of your post initially because I don't put my gems in jewellery often, so I don't have much experience with jewellers. Now that I've had a couple glasses of very cheap wine, I don't mind! So take my ramblings with a KG of salt. I think this comes down to money and not just trust. Regarding level of trust, I think you can get a feel of it out of things I've brought up before (reviews, reputation, return policy, judging their customer service, intuition, lab reports, asking here etc).

Lets see the types of strategies you brought up

1 - 'I should go for hunting a stone' - well if you go with a random IG vendor vs a more expensive but well established and expensive western seller (though not all are super expensive of course vs IG/FB sellers - shoutout to mastercutgems, litnon), you can guess which is more more/less expensive/cheaper

2 - ' jeweller who can source stones' - I've never tried this but only assume that jewellers who source stones will charge some sort of premium for finding the stone. If you have a good relationship with them, maybe not. I've read before that in regards to a B2B seller like Palagems, if you contact a jeweller about one of their pieces, there will be a price bump from the jeweller to you over the price the jeweller was quoted from Pala. Side note - I actually saved a bunch of Pala's pricing from when they had a little glitch in their website that showed trade pricing for a bunch of stones - if someone wants to test this out I'd be happy too, though it might be unethical 8-) (Im a bit of a data hoarder). Some jewellers have very limited stock/contacts too, some are less educated about gems, etc... more factors that are jeweller dependant.

3 - 'one who sells stones only but not finished jewellery which is more of a CS dealer' - This is the type of seller I deal with mostly and its very similar to seller number 1. I suppose over time you find who you vibe with more than others

4 - 'directly reach a cutter' - I assume you mean custom cuts and these often will be on the expensive side, since you are paying for their time, rough sourcing, cutting precision and artistry - sometimes patented cuts - as well as the material itself.

again, these are my tipsy ramblings, do not take too seriously as if I was an expert...

Last edited:

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tim is one of the few cutter who is able to cut the most difficult gems. I bought some stone - a very very nice person.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't want to respond to this part of your post initially because I don't put my gems in jewellery often, so I don't have much experience with jewellers. Now that I've had a couple glasses of very cheap wine, I don't mind! So take my ramblings with a KG of salt. I think this comes down to money and not just trust. Regarding level of trust, I think you can get a feel of it out of things I've brought up before (reviews, reputation, return policy, judging their customer service, intuition, lab reports, asking here etc).

Lets see the types of strategies you brought up

1 - 'I should go for hunting a stone' - well if you go with a random IG vendor vs a more expensive but well established and expensive western seller (though not all are super expensive of course vs IG/FB sellers - shoutout to mastercutgems, litnon), you can guess which is more more/less expensive/cheaper

2 - ' jeweller who can source stones' - I've never tried this but only assume that jewellers who source stones will charge some sort of premium for finding the stone. If you have a good relationship with them, maybe not. I've read before that in regards to a B2B seller like Palagems, if you contact a jeweller about one of their pieces, there will be a price bump from the jeweller to you over the price the jeweller was quoted from Pala. Side note - I actually saved a bunch of Pala's pricing from when they had a little glitch in their website that showed trade pricing for a bunch of stones - if someone wants to test this out I'd be happy too, though it might be unethical 8-) (Im a bit of a data hoarder). Some jewellers have very limited stock/contacts too, some are less educated about gems, etc... more factors that are jeweller dependant.

3 - 'one who sells stones only but not finished jewellery which is more of a CS dealer' - This is the type of seller I deal with mostly and its very similar to seller number 1. I suppose over time you find who you vibe with more than others

4 - 'directly reach a cutter' - I assume you mean custom cuts and these often will be on the expensive side, since you are paying for their time, rough sourcing, cutting precision and artistry - sometimes patented cuts - as well as the material itself.

again, these are my tipsy ramblings, do not take too seriously as if I was an expert...
Thank you~it’s really kind of you to give me such in-depth sharing!

it really largely comes down to money, and more precisely how much one is willing to spend for every particular stone. Someone may reserve most of their bucks for the rarest gem type(s) in their wish list. Some may avoid or thinks they don’t need those really rare but expensive gems, and instead rather spread their money on more and different cheaper, more available gems which they are able to appreciate their natural beauty, in order to enlarge the variety of their own collection. And many other unique ways to get what each of us like~

I am with a much simpler objective~ A dream stone which I expect to spend the biggest amount I am comfortable for a CS on that. This is not in a hurry, as I would like to get it when I have saved up a bit more, and more importantly explore what s the best way to get it. This would probably be a glowing pink sapphire or pink Jedi, and that’s why I created another thread comparing a sapphires glow to Jedi and ruby. The worst thing is however, I want a precision cut one, which is quite hard I think if it’s even possible. That’s why I often brought up the choice of custom cut with a cutter.

Before that, I am willing to have more budget friendly purchase in different ways to experience not only the different gem buying tactics I have considered, but also size, cut, shape of a stone as well as the aesthetic and craftsmanship of the ring that my wife feels most comfortable. But of course it had to be something we like, and prefer more durable stones. This , plus our preference on vibrant neon looking gems, we think we may give it a try in chrysoberyl this time.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I have recently had a ring made from a vendor whose craftsmanship is quite exquisite. I didn’t source a stone from them this time as I didn’t make up my mind for our first natural CS and had instead had them set a precision cut lab sapphire.

But this vendor was originally a CS dealer and just now also making jewellery with her partner. That would be a plus for me if I am able to have both great gem sourcing and jewelry making skills at one shop for future big purchase, just whether I can get precision cut rare gem from them still remain uncertain.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought from Tim and I have two sapphires arriving on Monday so I'll do a show and tell then. I have photos of the rough, the process, his photos in dim and indirect light, and then I'll have my own photos.

My first stone from him was a benitoite, hard to cut, tiny, soft. But he did a beautiful job. He has cut a few for Brad, who I also have bought more stones from than I care to admit.

He is actually in Sri Lanka right now. He buys rough in the market direct from the mines, and has gone to the mines on occasion. He cuts daily (in my case nightly) whatever he buys earlier. He initially went for 6 months but with Covid he is stuck although it doesn't sound like a bad situation.

He takes the usual protected US payment options, declined wire in fact, and offers 5 day returns from receipt. I didn't have to worry about shipping from Asia or any unexpected fees, he shipped to a partner in the US and she sent it priority mail to me today. If I don't love the stones I return them to AZ, no restocking just the return shipping.

Ill come back and update when I have the stones in hand.

My rough, top right and middle.
IMG_20210819_212826_161.jpg

Top right all done. IMG_20210819_211552_575.jpg

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought from Tim and I have two sapphires arriving on Monday so I'll do a show and tell then. I have photos of the rough, the process, his photos in dim and indirect light, and then I'll have my own photos.

My first stone from him was a benitoite, hard to cut, tiny, soft. But he did a beautiful job. He has cut a few for Brad, who I also have bought more stones from than I care to admit.

He is actually in Sri Lanka right now. He buys rough in the market direct from the mines, and has gone to the mines on occasion. He cuts daily (in my case nightly) whatever he buys earlier. He initially went for 6 months but with Covid he is stuck although it doesn't sound like a bad situation.

He takes the usual protected US payment options, declined wire in fact, and offers 5 day returns from receipt. I didn't have to worry about shipping from Asia or any unexpected fees, he shipped to a partner in the US and she sent it priority mail to me today. If I don't love the stones I return them to AZ, no restocking just the return shipping.

Ill come back and update when I have the stones in hand.

My rough, top right and middle.

Top right all done. IMG_20210819_211552_575.jpg

ooh, I’m quite interested to see what that’s like when you get it!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
They arrived yesterday, of course it is overcast but here they are. The colors he captured are what my eye sees. The sparkle is amazing. These are so tricky to take photos of as my iPhone plays up the blue so I turn off all the auto stuff. I can't upload videos but I have video of the rough being cut and more showing me the color. I'll try and get a photo in my bathroom (worlds worst CFLs) just so you can see the "worst", I feel like seeing various lighting is helpful for future hunts

Rough back right and center
His photos
IMG_20210819_211552_575.jpg
image.jpg
outside turned west, difuse sunlight/overcast 20210927_130151.jpg
Back patio shaded
IMG_0871.jpg kitchen LEDs- these tend to be lousy for color and the stones still look good. IMG_0875.jpg

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
They arrived yesterday, of course it is overcast but here they are. The colors he captured are what my eye sees. The sparkle is amazing. These are so tricky to take photos of as my iPhone plays up the blue so I turn off all the auto stuff. I can't upload videos but I have video of the rough being cut and more showing me the color. I'll try and get a photo in my bathroom (worlds worst CFLs) just so you can see the "worst", I feel like seeing various lighting is helpful for future hunts

Rough back right and center
His photos
IMG_20210819_211552_575.jpg
image.jpg
outside turned west, difuse sunlight/overcast 20210927_130151.jpg
Back patio shaded
IMG_0871.jpg kitchen LEDs- these tend to be lousy for color and the stones still look good. IMG_0875.jpg

That hot pink (sapphire?) is tempting btw!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results