shape
carat
color
clarity

Infant with fever and diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 4:05:16 PM
Author: LovelyHearts

Date: 3/4/2010 3:37:38 PM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 3/4/2010 12:53:27 PM
Author: waterlilly

Side note:

I''m pretty sure Vaporub is NOT OK for rubbing on babies chests...it was shown to be a serious lung irritant and does more harm that good I think I remember hearing? Might want to check on that...
The Infant Vaporub is fine - the adult one is too strong.
My pediatrician is the one that told me about the infant vaporub. It is very mild. The adult one is too strong for even me.

Pandora - I don''t know if it''s the vaporub on the feet trick or if it''s just a coincidence, but the same night I did what you suggested, she started sleeping through the night again. Last night was night #2. She still coughs now and again, but it was NO WHERE as much as it was before.

Thanks for the great advice. If I knew you in person, I''d buy you lunch.
LOL.

Freaky isn''t it... I''ve no idea if it''s coincidence or not myself (major skeptic here). I almost hope D gets a cough so I can try it out again!

Thanks for the ''virtual'' lunch!
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have used infant vapor rub too and they make a plug in we used when she was really little.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
GAH I spoke too soon
15.gif
Hunter was sent home from daycare again. He still has a low grade fever and loos BMs and they are worried about a rash on his legs. We are seeing the doc this afternoon.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 5:43:35 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
GAH I spoke too soon
15.gif
Hunter was sent home from daycare again. He still has a low grade fever and loos BMs and they are worried about a rash on his legs. We are seeing the doc this afternoon.
Oh no! Hope he''s ok Dreamer
7.gif

Do you think it can be an allergy to something he ate?

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh no! I really hope he feels better soon. It''s so hard when babies/kids are sick. It''s so frustrating too. Let us know how it goes at the doc.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
When I did my month in peds ER during training, it was gastro season. I can''t tell you how I cringed every time I pulled a chart and yet again it was labeled either Fx/Cx (fever/cough) or Fx/Vx/Dx (fever/vomiting/diarrhea) by the triage nurse. Must have seen hundreds of them, and as I was in an anesthesia training program, I was far more interested in seeing traumas/resuscitations/seizures and things that I''d potentially be involved with later on during my training.

Both Fx/Cx or Fx/Vx/Dx were pretty much always just a virus that needed up to 7 days to run its course. We''d always ask (I''m not a pediatrician now btw) if the kid was lethargic or not and if they''d lost weight, because in little kids/babies, weight loss was the best way to track how dehydrated they were. Were they still peeing fairly frequently? We''d check out the fontanelles if they were still present, look for sunken eyes or skin that didn''t pop back into place if you gently pinched a fold. And even the ones who were 5-10% or a little mroe dehydrated would still just be offered pedialyte by mouth. You had to be pretty severe to get an IV or be admitted to hospital. Otherwise it was more about making sure they were drinking and peeing (and trying to keep other kids from getting infected) until the virus ran its course. And like packrat said, giving tylenol every 4 hours and motrin every 6 hours around the clock for a day or so worked well on the fever.
If the kid was playing and acting like usual, there generally wasn''t anything to worry about.

Hope he''s feeling better soon!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, hope Hunter is okay!

Daisy came up in a rash as she started getting better - the GP was the one who spotted it first, and he said it was a fairly normal thing for viruses and not to worry about it.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer - I hope Hunter gets well soon
7.gif
Lex STILL has diarhhea since last Thursday. Our DR just says virus, but I''m concerned it''s been going on so long. He did stop vomiting though and he never had a fever. He also is playing/acting normal and eating fine. I can''t tell you how much laundry I''ve done this past week...major messy diarhhea
14.gif
Sending get well vibes your way.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
He is fie. He sometimes gets a little dry skin/eczema on this thighs and the daycare was worried about infectious skin conditions that also often involve fever and diarrhea. But he is fine. Still loose poops, but it seems to be on the mend.

CDT That is a long time with diarrhea. Is he still eating dairy? My doc mentioned that when they have diarrhera the flora in their guts gets out of whack and then it can be harder for them to digest cows dairy. So maybe try cutting that? We have been giving him soymilk right now. But I guess Lex still takes formula so I don''t know how you can avoid it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still spoke too soon
14.gif
He is being sent home from Daycare again. Too many poops for them.

His evergy is great, which is why we keep sending him in the morning, but I guess we should have called it a day and just kept him home this week.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 5:04:59 PM
Author: dreamer_d
He is fie. He sometimes gets a little dry skin/eczema on this thighs and the daycare was worried about infectious skin conditions that also often involve fever and diarrhea. But he is fine. Still loose poops, but it seems to be on the mend.

CDT That is a long time with diarrhea. Is he still eating dairy? My doc mentioned that when they have diarrhera the flora in their guts gets out of whack and then it can be harder for them to digest cows dairy. So maybe try cutting that? We have been giving him soymilk right now. But I guess Lex still takes formula so I don''t know how you can avoid it.

Well, we''re diluted the formula because he still gets about 24 oz a day. So it''s tough to cut out completely. Good news is, he had no diarrhea today, soft stool, but not diarrhea. Unfortunately he vomited today though and hadn''t since Sunday. Right now, we have to do a stool sample but won''t have results until late next week. The thing is, he''s had no fever throughout any of this and seems fine otherwise. He WANTS to eat, it just goes right thru him
14.gif

After seeing your last response, I agree about keeping him home. We actually did keep Lex home Monday & Tuesday this week and he had a normal BM Tuesday afternoon, ate well, no vomiting since Sun. Well since being back at daycare Wednesday, the remainder of this week has been hell. Our DR actually thinks, as crazy at it seems, that Lex caught a virus last week, lasted about 4/5 days, went back to daycare, only to catch another virus??? Insane, but we''ll see, the stool sample should give us an answer (hopefully). Hope Hunter feels better soon.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hopefully Lex is better soon too! Daycares are cess pools of viruses
26.gif
It would not surprise me at all if it was one after the other. Is it going around?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
DD, hope Hunter is feeling much better.

Date: 3/2/2010 5:08:05 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 3/2/2010 5:03:17 PM
Author:dreamer_dachsie
My 1 year old son has a fever we have been treating with tylenol for 24 hours (successfully) and he now seems to have diarrhera. Otherwise he is active with a good apatite. What have you done when your kids were like this? I don''t like to see the doctor unneccesarily.
You''ve been on PS way too long.
2.gif

No advice as Amelia''s never really had a fever or a case of bad runs. But I hope he feels better soon!

Now how about we PS moms make a pact not to talk about sickness here?
41.gif
I''ve noticed that it seems like the PS babies like to follow in other PS babies footsteps when it comes to illness (we just had a bout with most of the PS toddlers sick!)

Amelia had her first fever on Friday. Nearly 3 days of pretty high temps and yesterday a fantastic bout of roseola arrived.
40.gif

So hey, at least this thread was timely.
5.gif

lili

Ideal_Rock
TGal--
Poor A. It was tough on J when she had the roseola too.
Normally a fever doesn''t decommissioned her like that.
Her last bout w/ roseola pretty much wiped her out for 3 days -- practically sleeping 24/7.
Hey, timing couldn''t be more perfect than this....at least you don''t have to worry about A getting roseola during her birthday.

luvinlife

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 6:22:25 PM
Author: Pandora II
Lovely, this will sound really weird... and I am the most skeptical of people especially where medicine is concerned - but I was looking in the chemist for some cough mix for Daisy a few months ago (she was about 6 months) and there was nothing she could have, but the pharmacist told me that she swore by rubbing Vaporub on a baby''s feet and then put socks on overnight.

I thought what the heck, easy enough and harmless, so I gave it a go... miracle, cough gone. I''ve tried it again since and same result. So, might be worth a try.

Commiserations on getting things into kids - D HATES Tylenol and we have to hold her down to get it into her with a syringe!
Pandora,
I smiled when I read your post as rubbing vaporub on babies feet when they are congested and coughing is a Hispanic "custom" (at least where I am from).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 5:17:55 PM
Author: lili
TGal--
Poor A. It was tough on J when she had the roseola too.
Normally a fever doesn''t decommissioned her like that.
Her last bout w/ roseola pretty much wiped her out for 3 days -- practically sleeping 24/7.
Hey, timing couldn''t be more perfect than this....at least you don''t have to worry about A getting roseola during her birthday.
True lili, at least we are getting all this sickness over all at once, knock on wood.

I remember when J was sick, but forgot it was roseola....

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 4:15:38 PM

My 1 year old son has a fever we have been treating with tylenol for 24 hours (successfully) and he now seems to have diarrhera. Otherwise he is active with a good apatite. What have you done when your kids were like this? I don''t like to see the doctor unneccesarily.
2.gif

No advice as Amelia''s never really had a fever or a case of bad runs. But I hope he feels better soon!

41.gif
I''ve noticed that it seems like the PS babies like to follow in other PS babies footsteps when it comes to illness (we just had a bout with most of the PS toddlers sick!)

Amelia had her first fever on Friday. Nearly 3 days of pretty high temps and yesterday a fantastic bout of roseola arrived.
40.gif

5.gif
Aaaand George now has a temp of 101.1 F so I''m going to have to agree with you on this.
2.gif

Speaking of being on PS too long, you recommended to me "Making Children Mind Without Using Yours." I knew what you meant, but your title sounds even more appealing to me than the real title.
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 3:11:37 PM
Author: Blenheim

Date: 3/7/2010 4:15:38 PM

2.gif

41.gif

40.gif

5.gif
Aaaand George now has a temp of 101.1 F so I''m going to have to agree with you on this.
2.gif

Speaking of being on PS too long, you recommended to me ''Making Children Mind Without Using Yours.'' I knew what you meant, but your title sounds even more appealing to me than the real title.
3.gif
LOL, maybe I should write that book! It should have been, of course, "losing".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results