shape
carat
color
clarity

Induction cooktops

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lindaAZ

Rough_Rock
We''re remodeling the kitchen and just bought a Diva induction cooktop. So far I love it. Does anyone else have an induction cooktop?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t have one and never will: no one i know who has ever had one and likes to cook has had anything good to say about them.

movie zombie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hate em hate em hate em
give me a gas range anyday!
electric is bad enough but induction is much much worse.
That is the major thing I hate about my apartment is the electric range.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I think they sound cool but I am dubious...gas always seems to be the best bet. until, of course, your house blows up...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom''s had one for a few years now...it took her a long time to get used to it. She''s still not completely happy with it, but it works. If you love it, that''s great. But like the other replies, I have not heard great things about them. IMO, gas is much easier and makes cooking more "controllable," but as Rainbowtrout mentioned, blowing the house up could be a prob.
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
when's the last time you heard of a gas range blowing up?! well, if the kitchen is being used as a meth lab, it could happen....
face6.gif
all kidding aside, i know it is possible but its also all relative: we're more likely to be in a car accident than to have a gas kitchen range go boom.......

induction cooktop requires magnetic cookware.....if you don't already have it, cookware replacement should be factored into the cost of your induction upgrade.

eta: and you may be the exception to the rule and totally love your new range! perhaps there have been improvements and we just haven't heard about them.....

movie zombie

lindaAZ

Rough_Rock
I have been using the new cooktop for a about a week and it really is better than gas - for me. I''ve used gas for 20 years and cook alot - real cooking. I did extensive research before deciding on an induction cooktop and demo-ed the new Viking induction cooktop at a Viking showroom. There is a very informative website www.theinductionsite.com that discusses all aspects of induction cooking. It is very popular in Europe and is becoming the cooking method of choice by many top chefs around the country. It is extremely energy efficient and extrememly safe (no flames). I did buy new pans since by old pans were not "magnetic". My new pans are made by All-Clad and, of course, are very high quality. The Diva 30" cooktop has been around a couple of years whereas the Viking is new this year. They are the same price - around $3000.00.

They are also more powerful than "professional" gas ranges on the market by Viking, Dacor, DCS etc.

You can also read a little bit about induction cooktops on Consumer Reports. They are rated the highest - in most categories.

And they are a breeze to clean...

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2006 3:44:44 AM
Author: movie zombie
when''s the last time you heard of a gas range blowing up?! well, if the kitchen is being used as a meth lab, it could happen....
face6.gif
all kidding aside, i know it is possible but its also all relative: we''re more likely to be in a car accident than to have a gas kitchen range go boom.......

induction cooktop requires magnetic cookware.....if you don''t already have it, cookware replacement should be factored into the cost of your induction upgrade.

eta: and you may be the exception to the rule and totally love your new range! perhaps there have been improvements and we just haven''t heard about them.....

movie zombie

11.gif
You''re right, of course. I associate gas cooking with what I''ll be doing next yr--you have a propane tank that sits under the range with a tube, light it with a match and then hook it up to the range and pray the whole kit and caboodle doesn''t explode. That''s also the only way you get hot showers...Ugh. It''s enough to put me off cooking entirely.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
We actually have one and it's not bad at all. At first I thought I would hate it since my other previous range experiences were with the electric coils. I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly they heated up. I agree that you get more immediate control with gas, but induction boils water soooo much faster. It's easy to clean too. To each her own...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results