shape
carat
color
clarity

Indian Visit

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

News from India

In one of the offices I visited today I found this AGS chart on the wall.

I have been studying Sergey’s latest developments in Helium Rough – the version for planning cutting that looks into the stone and automatically plots the size and position of the inclusions. It seems Sarin is about to release their version, which will be interesting since Sergey has a European and Indian patent.

His patent is here on page 105 of 217
http://www.patentoffice.nic.in/ipr/patent/journal_archieve/pat_arch_072005/official_journal_22072005.pdf

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry, is this new development realistic??
And I think Sarin technology comes from Israel, doesnt it?

I heard some stories about this technology, but seems to be "not taken to seriously" in the manufacturing sector, since you saw it and you are folowing it, what are your thoughts on it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/28/2006 3:36:48 PM
Author: DiaGem

I heard some stories about this technology, but seems to be 'not taken to seriously' in the manufacturing sector, since you saw it and you are folowing it, what are your thoughts on it.
At first it was only being used by manufacturers of +1/2ct goods - but now they are doing down to 1/2ct rough.
It seems to works best with central inclusions in smaller stones - up to about 5 - but if inclusions are spread thru the stone there is no advantage unless the stone is huge - like one I posted last year in the pictures gallery - http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/category1002/picture614.aspx
and http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/category1002/picture613.aspx

While I am here DiaGem i can easily get answers to any questions.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry
are you seeing more "FIC" these days?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/28/2006 8:54:21 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Author: DiaGem

I heard some stories about this technology, but seems to be ''not taken to seriously'' in the manufacturing sector, since you saw it and you are folowing it, what are your thoughts on it.
At first it was only being used by manufacturers of +1/2ct goods - but now they are doing down to 1/2ct rough.
It seems to works best with central inclusions in smaller stones - up to about 5 - but if inclusions are spread thru the stone there is no advantage unless the stone is huge - like one I posted last year in the pictures gallery - http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/category1002/picture614.aspx
and http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/category1002/picture613.aspx

While I am here DiaGem i can easily get answers to any questions.
Garry, so i understand that it has an advantage on sawable rough with center inclusions (for sawing purposes, like opening a window to determening the exact position of the inclusion).

It will not position the polished diamond option accuratly if the inclusions are spread through out the rough stone...
Am i understanding right?

Thanx,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

It seems to works best with central inclusions in smaller stones - up to about 5 - but if inclusions are spread thru the stone there is no advantage unless the stone is huge

Is that mainly because there is too many options with scattered inclusions on how its to be cut?
Smaller - cleaner vs larger - more included?
Or is it locked into too too limited a cutting style to deal with it?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The AGS chart is a good sign :}

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/1/2006 3:54:08 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
Garry
are you seeing more ''FIC'' these days?
Yes DF - one leading manufacturer here is polishing it regularly - but often with very thick girdles.
So spread is small but prices good.
The trouble is they will probably not be graded by labs and that means they will not be sold online.

This new GIA grading system is causing a lot of upheaval.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/1/2006 7:16:31 AM
Author: strmrdr

It seems to works best with central inclusions in smaller stones - up to about 5 - but if inclusions are spread thru the stone there is no advantage unless the stone is huge

Is that mainly because there is too many options with scattered inclusions on how its to be cut?
If a 2ct rough stone has 5 VS inclusions spread evenly thru the stone then you will end up with at least a VS stone and maybe it is impossible to cut 2 sawn stones of say 1ct princess and 1/2ct round without at least 1 inclusion in the 1ct P and maybe 1 or 2 in the round.
It is like 3D chess.
You can all download a free viewer version of the Oxygen Viewer - with a couple sample jobs. You need to pay about $4k for a licence to be able to actually work on a stone - but I think for anyone interested you will find this opens a wonderful world of comprehension. I am learnign so much here!!!

http://www.octonus.com/oct/download/oxy_view_down.phtml

And follow these simple instructions to check the files are not corrupted
http://www.octonus.com/oct/download/doc_check_sign.phtml Do this part after you have used the instal wizard.

If you like this game I can forward some really complex stone examples - I can probably even get the workings on that 9ct stone i photographed last year ;-)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2006 12:15:18 AM

Garry
Yes DF - one leading manufacturer here is polishing it regularly - but often with very thick girdles.
The trouble is they will probably not be graded by labs and that means they will not be sold online.

Garry
that is too bad for the consumer who is looking for these.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2006 1:03:46 AM

Date: 3/2/2006 12:15:18 AM

Garry

Garry
that is too bad for the consumer who is looking for these.
On my crusade to improve the beauty of diamonds I include all the people who buy diamonds DF - it is sad for you, but good for some others because many of these stones will end up in the shopping malls.
The fact that more are being cut is what is really important - and that they are being produced by respected market leaders here.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry
i would have a better chance of seeing FIC at the mall?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
re:This new GIA grading system is causing a lot of upheaval.

Could you clarify( give more information)?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2006 12:35:06 AM
Date: 3/1/2006 7:16:31 AM

Author: strmrdr

If a 2ct rough stone has 5 VS inclusions spread evenly thru the stone then you will end up with at least a VS stone and maybe it is impossible to cut 2 sawn stones of say 1ct princess and 1/2ct round without at least 1 inclusion in the 1ct P and maybe 1 or 2 in the round.

It is like 3D chess.

You can all download a free viewer version of the Oxygen Viewer - with a couple sample jobs. You need to pay about $4k for a licence to be able to actually work on a stone - but I think for anyone interested you will find this opens a wonderful world of comprehension. I am learnign so much here!!!

http://www.octonus.com/oct/download/oxy_view_down.phtml

And follow these simple instructions to check the files are not corrupted

http://www.octonus.com/oct/download/doc_check_sign.phtml Do this part after you have used the instal wizard.

If you like this game I can forward some really complex stone examples - I can probably even get the workings on that 9ct stone i photographed last year ;-)

Way kewl,
downloaded and installed, waiting for the code.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
DiaGem you asked about this process.

Here is an example from a 9ct stone with a huge lack central inclusion.

The example on the left is the obvious marking solution, and on the right is a complex solution that involves sawing of and polishing 3 corners, and then cutting 3 larger stones out of the remainder. All are VS or better.

This solution requires greater skill and costs, but makes almost 2x the revenue, as calculated by the software..

9ct HR eg.jpg

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Garry,

I am interested in a gun, that can shoot around a corner. Can you deliver that?

Live long,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/3/2006 11:57:21 PM

The example on the left is the obvious marking solution, and on the right is a complex solution that involves sawing of and polishing 3 corners, and then cutting 3 larger stones out of the remainder. All are VS or better.

This solution requires greater skill and costs, but makes almost 2x the revenue, as calculated by the software..

Looks pretty, but will it be "more precise" than what cutters have done for hundreds of years..., evaluate these options counting on their own eyes?

Once you look at the sketch, is this the best combination out there, or a skilled planner and cutter might be optimizing what the computer points out to?
I hope i sound clear?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/4/2006 8:00:06 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Hey Garry,

I am interested in a gun, that can shoot around a corner. Can you deliver that?

Live long,
Yes Paul, it exists... ( a gun that shoots around the corner, while you (the triger-man) stands on the cover side of the corner..., plus you can see the enemy through an LCD screen, and get exact info. where the enemy is located and how far he is...

Let me know if you want more info on that...

But a gun that shoots around the corner in MUCH simpler than a computer taking into account the inclusions inside a Rough Diamond..., do you agree?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the link to that gun, storm and Diagem. But it is not what I am looking for.

It is one where the bullet leaves the gun, and at the corner, the bullet takes a turn, totally indepently. From what I see, Garry must have it.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/4/2006 8:38:32 AM
Thank you for the link to that gun, storm and Diagem. But it is not what I am looking for.

It is one where the bullet leaves the gun, and at the corner, the bullet takes a turn, totally indepently. From what I see, Garry must have it.
This exists in Missles for a few decades now..., so you should imagine it exists in guns too, right?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/4/2006 8:38:32 AM

But, you are right, as far as that bullet turning a corner in the Diamond manufacturing arena, i still didnt meet that yet!!!
Especialy in "speculative range rough".

I still trust my eyes more than anything else. also truth about color and yields, i dont trust any color-machines or computers for fancy shapes...,
I do use them on occasion to double check other opinions though

Incognito2

Rough_Rock

An admitted Newbie completely removed from the diamond trade, this is completely FASCINATING to me. I hope this isnt a stupid question, but....is this tool limited to evaluating yields from only RB cuts, or will it factor in other fancy shapes to determine the maximized value of the stone from rough to polished?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/4/2006 10:10:07 AM
Author: Incognito2

An admitted Newbie completely removed from the diamond trade, this is completely FASCINATING to me. I hope this isnt a stupid question, but....is this tool limited to evaluating yields from only RB cuts, or will it factor in other fancy shapes to determine the maximized value of the stone from rough to polished?

Both, but as far as my info. its much more accurate on RB''s and "far" from accurate in fancy shapes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results