shape
carat
color
clarity

Independence Day - What does it mean to you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Within the United States of America, today - July 4 - Is Independence Day.

Historically, this is the day that a number of prominent British colonial subjects signed a Declaration of Independence from the British Crown in 1776.

That was a key defining moment in the development of what came to be known as the United States of America; or commonly just known as "America."

I will not claim that the U.S.A is perfect. I believe it is far from it.

I will not claim that the U.S.A is problem free. There are lots of problems here.

I just believe that the U.S.A has the best overall system and opportunity for individual achievement among the nations of the world (and acknowledge that there are a few other countries who can debate that).

It is to the US that people from all over the world flock (legally or not); in numbers far greater than for other countries out there (and the US accepts far more legal immigrants than any other country in the world). It is because of the opportunity of success, even though the people know they might fail in their quest for a better life (unfortunately, far to many multi-generational "Americans" work to eliminate the risk of failure - and thus limit their chance of success - or degree of success).

Many people in the US talk about various patriotic issues and items about this time of year. Yet, I feel that many people are missing what Independence Day could and should mean for them.

Independence Day was originally about breaking free of what was considered an oppressive government and forming a new government that was better for the people. While the new government failed after a few years (based on the Articles of Confederation) - its replacement based primarily on the current US Constitution and the first 10 Amendments (Bill of rights) has done very well. It is for this US government and Nation that people celebrate Independence Day.

Yet the key focus of the US Constitutional Government was that power dealt in the individual people, and those people had rights that cannot be taken away.

Thus, ultimately the 4th of July - Independence Day - for US Citizens is a day to think about and decide our individual independence; and how it should be. How do we individually pursue Life, Liberty, and Happiness.

The basic concept of what my personal independence should be - how I should be able to pursue life, liberty, and happiness has weighed heavily on me for months; because things have not gone so well the last couple of years (and getting worse).

Many of the old timers here on PS know this (while newer people only see me post once in a while). I used to be very active on 4 completely different internet forums on different subjects. Now I occasionally post on 2 (PS being one of them). I used to do lots of stuff on the side, I used to have an active side business, I used to do....

Now I work, work, worry, work, take care of my parents (to the best of my ability), work, work, and have a series of medical issues I didn''t used to have.

Is that independence? Am I on the road to life, liberty, and happiness? No. In fact, I''m on the opposite road. So what happened?

Key is that I effectively sold myself into slavery with my job. It has become my life to the extent that it has displaced many of the things are are part of an active and healthy life.

Today is Independence Day. For me personally, that means that today is where I put myself first while I address my health issues and my life issues to return to the path of seeking life, liberty, and happiness.

This will not be easy. Yesterday I requested a transition to part time employment (32 hours a week) for at least 6 months to focus on my health and personal issues. I am used to living on an significant OT based paycheck (and as a base salaried person I only got paid partial OT and then at straight pay). Cutting to 32 hours a week is a very substantial pay cut - and I will be going into debt because of it. But, if I don''t do this I won''t be healthy enough to work in 6-12 months (or so). Now it will take a few weeks to wrap up the details - but by the end of July I will be part time (and likely in a week or two).

Until then, I have already cut back on OT - and told my supervisor that we really have to prioritize what work I do; because I will not be available for routine OT and for every plant issues.

Today is also the day I start focusing on my health more as well.

My other long term focus is on restarting my side business and using it to replace my lost income before I go too far into debt. I know this may take many months of work - and I need to get some health issues stabilized first. A bonus is that my side business is my dream and not my employers dream.

So for me Independence day - personal independence day is about taking the steps I need to regain my personal independence - because I''ve lost too much of it.

I can always return to full time (and lots of OT at work). Also, if money was all I wanted I could get a $50,000 a year pay raise by transitioning to another company this year (they would both buy my house and move me). But what I need is time off to take care of myself and repair my health and life so that I can live again.

So, for me Independence Day is about doing what I need to do to regain my personal independence - and seek life, liberty, and happiness. Kinda like a new years resolution - but more important because this is Independence Day.

For those of you who are US Citizens - What does Independence Day mean to you - and what are you doing for your personal Independence?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Well, your posts are always hard to follow. You never ever make a typo...grrrrr.

My heart goes out to you for so many reasons. The first being responsible for caring for elderly or ill parents. It is very difficult to do.

The second being your own health issues. I haven''t been on this board long enough to know what they are, but from your posts, I get the sense that you have been heavily burdened by health concerns.

The third is the paycheck slavery. I too feel that I suffer from "golden handcuff" syndrome. More to the point, I feel that I sold my soul to the devil for vacation time and health benefits.

There comes a time in every person''s life where they question whether the road they are traveling is leading to their intended destination. I think is safe to say that we all know our ultimate destination. So therefore, the journey is indeed the most logical focus.

I hope you accomplish your goals. Setting them and taking steps to achieve them are the most difficult steps to take. I admire that you have taken them.

Independence Day for me is a time to reflect on how little indepedence I think I really enjoy. Or rather, how little use I am making of what independence I have or how little I cherish it. But that is because I can''t help but consume myself with those who don''t enjoy the same freedom that I take for granted. I suppose that it is much like survivor guilt.

Today I choose to be grateful for life, love, family, computer, PS, food, wine and hope that one day humanity will achieve the greatness that the Bill of Rights originally thought possible.

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results