shape
carat
color
clarity

in times of financial difficulty, do you sell your jewelry?

minidancer

Shiny_Rock
Re: in times of financial difficulty, do you sell your jewel

Dollyanjuli,

I'm sorry about the financial stress. Hope the hard times pass soon.

I haven't had to sell any jewelry worth much, but I can certainly imagine how stressful that would be.

I would like to echo arkieb's sentiment, as the things that really matter are the people (and pets) in hard times. :)) Hold tight to your DH and know that you two will come out stronger once all the stress passes.

Hugs!!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

missy|1415793425|3781897 said:
Dolly, I am so sorry you are dealing with this and I hope things turn around for your family very soon.

To answer your question yes, I would sell whatever I needed to in a heartbeat to help my family. Material things are just material things and unimportant in the true course of life. Of course it might sting and when emotional ties are associated with material objects give pause (perhaps long pause) for sadness and a feeling of loss. However, in the grand scheme of life they are not important.

The well being and safety of your loved ones and yourself are all that matter. Hold on to what is dear and important and let go of what is truly not and while it is normal to feel badly when life becomes more challenging as long as you have each other that is all that matters.

(((Hugs))) and hoping things become better very soon.

Missy hit the nail on the head.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How did the holidays go?

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock

Hi, I have not been on the boards in over a year. However I am looking to sell some diamonds to help a famy member out. I know there was a site people here recommended where they sell and buy. Can someone share that for me? I am expecting to get maybe 1/3 of the appraised value if I can sell. Is that reasonable? Thanks!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

If the need arose, I'd certainly be willing to sell things to help my family. I have quite a collection of luxury shoes & handbags and I must admit, I'd have a REALLY tough time letting them go, but I'd do it if my family needed me me to. I'd probably sell jewelry first and then shoes & handbags.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

I'd be very wary of selling my jewelry simply because I'm not great at selling things. The money made wouldn't be worth the loss I'd be sustaining. I'd more do things like increase my hours of work and/or cut back on spending and think of more ways to save more.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Just wanted to post a quick update- I sold many small pieces and husband and I were conservative with each other, so we finished flat vs. down (Which considering how the holidays are, we see as a win!)

Good news is both of us got promotions with our new salary/ bonus's coming this month and we are going to put every penny towards a blank slate, and then saving again. He feels better so I feel better.

I have also been given an "allowance" for anything considered extraneous from the husb, and I am putting it into a honey pot so I can save up for something (maybe a not to expensive reset) in 5-6 months. Gives me something to look forward too :appl:

I must say a huge thank you to the PS community for all the messages and insight. I am happy I was able to hold onto my big important pieces, and can say wholeheartedly that even though I loved all the small pieces I collected over many years I am glad they went to good homes and it felt good to have the money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results