shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of easy pumpkin recipes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Okay, fall has finally gotten to me, so when I was at the store today I threw in a can of pumpkin puree in case I got inspired. This afternoon I made a batch of pumpkin oatmeal cookies, which is the only real pumpkin recipe I have that I use. Now I still have half a can of the pumpkin and nothing to do with it. So...

Anyone got any quick and easy recipes for something (anything!) to do with pumpkin?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sabine, those cookies sound yummy! Have you posted the recipe by any chance?

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
DKS -- YUM!!! Pumpkin pancakes is something I''ve never thought of, even though I eat tons of pumpkin muffins! Thanks!

Zoe -- I haven''t posted it anywhere, so here it is:

2 c flour
1 c oats
1tsp baking soda
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg
1/2tsp salt

combine dry ingredients

1 c butter/marg. softened
1 c sugar
1 c packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

beat wet ingredients
alternately add dry ingredients and 1 cup pumpkin puree
I add white chocolate chips, but they weren''t in the original recipe, I think raisins were.

bake at 350 for 15-20 mins.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that was fast! Thanks! It sounds like a super simple recipe and one that I''ll definitely be trying out soon. The white chocolate chips sound much better than raisins.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Good recipe Sabine. That white chocolate chip...is most creative. I would also like to try butter brickle...or those heath chips-as long as they didn''t have milk chocolate on them.

I have made some in the past with crystallized ginger added. It is sorta hot and adds an element of surprise. What would you say to adding walnut or pecan chips? Would it deter from the taste in anyway?

Thanks

DKS

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2007 7:55:52 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Good recipe Sabine. That white chocolate chip...is most creative. I would also like to try butter brickle...or those heath chips-as long as they didn''t have milk chocolate on them.

I have made some in the past with crystallized ginger added. It is sorta hot and adds an element of surprise. What would you say to adding walnut or pecan chips? Would it deter from the taste in anyway?

Thanks

DKS
I''ve made them with walnuts, and I enjoyed that too. I''ve never tried them with pecans, but I imagine they would be good too! Since it''s such a basic recipe, I usually just throw in whatever extras I have in my cabinet...I think one time I even used craisins!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

i love pumpkin!! i was researching some tasty pumpkin stuff on yahoo! food last week...

i think i recall a recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip bread? or maybe it was banana choco chip bread. anyway, you can sub quite easily i am sure. i have some bananas that will be ready for baking in a few days anyway.

but cookinglight.com has some great recipes too for pumpkiny items. have fun!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay so this thread inspired me to finally make that recipe i posted. since i pretty much don't make anything unhealthy for us anymore, even sweets...i adapted the original recipe of course! and it's YUMMY. i am so excited about it as i love eating things like pumpkin and banana bread but it's quite hard to buy bakery goods that are actually healthy. so making them myself is awesome. here's my adapted recipe:

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

2c white wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 egg whites
1 1/3c mashed pumpkin
1c splenda granulated for baking (not sugar splenda blend though you can use that instead for a bit more cals but more real sugar)
1/4c splenda brown sugar blend
3/4c fat free milk
1/2c unsweetened applesauce
1/2c crude wheat bran (you can omit it most likely, i just wanted extra fiber for relatively little cals)
4 tbps semi sweet baking mini chocolate morsel chips

1747 cals total: 11 slices (though you could cut into 12, my 11 are quite fat slices!!)

Nutritionals per slice:
159 cals, 2.5g fat, 3.1g fiber, 31g carbs, 4.3g protein, 9.5g sugar, 125g potassium, 136g sodium

Grease 9x5 baking pan with olive oil or pam or whatever your choice of spray is. Heat oven to 350. Mix all dry items into one bowl and mix the wet items into another. Fold the wet into the dry and add chocolate chips in. Pour into greased pan. Bake at 350 for ~1 hour (I had to bake another 10 min actually) or til toothpick comes out pretty clean. Let cool for 10-20 minutes, then pop out and slice. The bread will be really very moist...if you want it less moist you can adapt for less milk and applesauce a bit. It sets better in the fridge if you leave it in there for a few hours and it will be more firm than as moist as when it comes out warm. Enjoy!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know much about pumpkin recipes besides pumpkin pie (although this thread is certainly offering some fun ideas!) but Crate & Barrel currently has an adorable pumpkin pie server/covered baking dish thing that I love! I tried to save and attach the pic from the website but I was unsuccessful. It''s on the cover page of the website though in case anyone''s interested!

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Here is my fav. pUmpkin
2.gif
cookie recipe that I seem to be posting EVERYWHERE!
19.gif

Spiced Pumpkin Cookies
makes approx 42 small cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling!)
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 recipe Cookie Glaze (see recipe below)
Chopped nuts (optional)
Cinnamon for dusting (optional)

In an extra-large bowl, beat together shortening and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add pumpkin and egg; beat until combined, making sure to scrape sides of bowl.

In medium bowl, combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat into the pumpkin mixture until combined and even consistensy throughout.

Spoon by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. (Cookies won''t spread much, if at all.) Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the tops seem firm. (Don''t underbake as middle will be smooshy.) Remove and cool on wire racks.

Spread Cookie Glaze over the cooled cookies. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts and or cinnamon, if you like. Makes 42 to 48 cookies, depending on sizes. Note: if planning on storing cookies, make frosting and frost before serving/gifting.

Cookie Glaze: In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, and 1 tablespoon milk. Heat over medium heat until butter melts and most of sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. (If frosting becomes too thick, stir in a few drops of hot water.) Makes 3/4 cup. Note: You want to make sure the brown sugar is mostly dissolved otherwise you end up with a slightly grainy frosting, it will still taste alright,it will just be a little crunchy.
2.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Pumpkin Lasagne
4 SERVINGS
No need to roast fresh pumpkin for this dish (although you certainly could); using canned unseasoned pumpkin puree is much quicker, and it works just fine. Like most lasagnes, this one is easier to cut if left to set for ten minutes or so before serving.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 pounds Swiss chard, tough stems removed, leaves washed well and chopped
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
3 cups canned pumpkin puree (one 28-ounce can)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
1/2 cup milk
9 no-boil lasagne noodles (about 6 ounces)
1 tablespoon butter

1. In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to moderately high and add the chard, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sage, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Cook, stirring, until the chard is wilted and no liquid remains in the pan, 5 to 10 minutes.

2. Heat the oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, mix together 2 cups of the pumpkin, 3/4 cup cream, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and the remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sage, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.

3. Pour the milk into an 8-by-12-inch baking dish. Top the milk with one third of the noodles, then spread half the pumpkin mixture over the noodles. Layer half the Swiss chard over the pumpkin and top with a second layer of noodles. Repeat with another layer of pumpkin, Swiss chard, and noodles.

Combine the remaining 1 cup of pumpkin and 3/4 cup of cream. Spread the mixture evenly over the top of the lasagne, sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of Parmesan, and dot with the butter.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden, about 15 minutes more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results