shape
carat
color
clarity

In over my head - Pricing/Vendor/Cut/Quality/Lack of $$$

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VetteVert

Rough_Rock
I have read every tutorial I can find (including the ones here), and the more I read, the less I feel like I know.

Here is what I DO know (I think!):
I want a diamond that is/has:
* G or better color
* SI1 or better clarity
* As good of a cut as possible (prefer nothing less than ideal, but I guess that depends on whose ''ideal'')
* Very close to 1 ct. (0.97 - 1.075)
* A good spread

I am finding it difficult to find such a beast with my maximum of $6000. I would prefer $500 less than that :p

I has also noted that HCA excellent spread rated diamonds aren''t the ones considered ''choice'' diamonds by the different retailers. Does having a good spread inherently reduce eye appeal (other than size, of course)?

Suggestions please!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take a look at this

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gqmracerx7/detail?.dir=/4c33&.dnm=f54bre2.jpg&.src=ph

From this thread

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-help-with-decision.36428/

He got a kick ass .99 H/si1 for around 5K from Whiteflash & put it in a simple Tiffany style setting. Get a load of those PIX!!!

You can do it!

ETA: There is a big price jump between "G" and "H" ... but in ideal or near-ideal cut rounds it shouldn't be too noticable, especially in a "white" metal setting. I have an GIA cert "H" color so I may be biased though. (Independant appraiser called it a "G" though -- after being set in white metal, shows ya how close they can be)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2005 2:51:41 PM
Author:VetteVert

I has also noted that HCA excellent spread rated diamonds aren't the ones considered 'choice' diamonds by the different retailers.

No.... Look at diameter measurement on the lab report. That gives size - no need to look at some estimate of it when the real numbers are there. I am not sure what the tolerance for small diameter variation is taken by the HCA, but it must be rather small - probably no more than a tenth of a millimeter around 1ct and that is less than whatever makes some difference anywhere.

Don't take those score too literally.

Also, looking for something 'close to 1 ct' you may want to look for a bit more of a range (0.9-1.1, say). The couple of points simply do not affect size or anything, but the numbers limit what a database search can show you. Those diamonds would be 6.3-6.6mm. And at 1 carat there is a bit of a price jump.

Does having a good spread inherently reduce eye appeal (other than size, of course)?

There are a few older threads about this (you may find them searching for 'HCA' AND 'Spread'). The HCA picks top scoring choices outside the AGS0 and some of these are proportions that could yield diamonds a hair 'larger'. I seriously doubt these would be considered less attractive to anyone. But... without the AGS cut branding on them, there are very few cut like that. So it is not that you are missing something aside branding politics.

My 0.2
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2005 2:51:41 PM
Author:VetteVert

I am finding it difficult to find such a beast with my maximum of $6000. I would prefer $500 less than that :p
How about this one?

LINK

IS_GIA-14814959.jpg

1.01 cts, G-SI1 (GIA),
Depth: 60.7
Table: 56
HCA = 1
Measurements: 6.51-6.53X3.96

Or... 0.96cts E-SI1 5k & HCA 0.4 (all Ex) for what that matters.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Vette,

Ana has directed you well. To see more yourself, as I recently saw more than 1/2 dozen meeting your specs, do check out the search by cut database here.

Happy shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results