shape
carat
color
clarity

In love with this setting, now to find a stone for it....

amertrine

Rough_Rock
Re: In love with this setting, now to find a stone for it...

Thanks for the suggestion starzin.
I don't like green in my blues so whilst the Montana sapphire is beautiful in its own right its not for me. Maybe if an a-typical piece could be found that was true blue it would be fine but those examples are too greeey for me.

****I'm pretty close to buying a large lab created sapphire and sending it to someone to recut so at least its super sparkly!****

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

As long as you know about them you can choose to discount them. Your sapphire is out there somewhere but it just isn't there this moment. It may be tomorrow, it may be next month, or it maybe April but it sounds as though you really want it now. So if you will be happy with a lab grown and that ends up being your choice, just ask the cutter what size you should grow before you order it - a lot can be lost on the cutting room floor :bigsmile:

amertrine

Rough_Rock

I really don't want a lab sapphire, I'm just getting desperate. I've been hunting for 2-3months and not found a single stone (not ebay) that fits my specification.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Yes it can be disheartening when you know what you want but can't find it. If you don't really want a lab grown then I would truly encourage you to wait...for instance this isn't spot on the size you want but it's very close and from a trusted ebay vendor many PSers have used. He (Tan) also has a good 'no questions asked' return policy. Bear in mind I think this is going to be very dark even with the light and airy setting you've chosen.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-35ct-VVS-O...0190?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item3a6d331fce

TL/anyone else:
Education since this is too small/wrong shape for Amertrine
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2006/bluecns670b-sm.html
1) How much would that divot bottom right affect the structural integrity of the stone; and
2) Are they photocopying them? :naughty: Given the blurriness and the shadow at the bottom of the white area which usually happens when you put a piece of paper over something to p/copy it.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Thanks Starzin, thats the closest suggestion to what I'm look at so far :D. Its real and its a radiant and its within budget so thats brill. But my concerns are 1- that its a bit too small, 2- that it'll be too light.I have contacted Tan to see if he has any more rough to cut a larger/darker stone stone. I'll let you all know what he says x

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Hmmm...I don't know how far you'll get asking Tan for a particular size, everything he's got tends to be listed on one of his three websites but he probably has then comng in every day so you need to be scouring them not me - odysseygem, vvs1 and thegemology.

This is NOT a light stone:
Tone: 6 Medium Dark
Hue: B
Saturation: 5 Strong
Look at the bits of the stone that aren't lit when the floodlight flashes on it, the Tone scale only goes up to 7 dark. Most of the time I would suggest this is going to look very dark.

Amertrine where are you? Have you gone and done the rounds of the jewellers to actually look at stones IRL? You might send SimplySapphires an email and ask for your spec stone. Perhaps go through their listing (3 pages) and pick the COLOUR you like and give them that stone's ID and ask if they have an 8x6 radiant under $1k - I think SS is a place that might actually be able to accommodate you.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Starzin, I'm in the UK and I've looked at a few sapphires irl and I do want a dark stone but I also what it to be sparkly not dead and flat. Due to location its not possible for me to buy 5 stones to see what I think and return the unwanted ones. I couldnt afford to do this either!

I won't go into details but I've had a previous bad experience with simply sapphires and don't want to do business with them again.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

So one of the cutters I contacted previously for a blue sapphire has come back with these two. What do you think?

Emerald cut is 7.5 x 5 x 4 mm, Medium dark blue with strong saturation and good clarity
Radiant cut is 7 x 5.5 x 4 mm, Medium dark blue with strong saturation and good clarity

1.jpg

2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Depends on the price. Did you see africagems.com? I found some radiants on his blue sapphires page. Nicely cut too.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry I missed your previous post, pity about SimplySapphires.
I do want a dark stone but I also what it to be sparkly not dead and flat
If you've done the rounds of some jewellers and seen dark stones IRL, then go ahead and get one of these in to look at in all lighting conditions because they do seem very dark and may not sparkle in some conditions. It would be a personal preference for me to go for the radiant over an emerald cut almost every time but that's me.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Those stones are on the top end of my colour scale but I am running out of options. I could wait another 6months and there is no guarentee that anything better will show up.

I think I might have to just order that radiant and see what its like when it arrives. Its be a month in the post for asia tho and another possible month on the return. buying gems in europe is so difficult!

I did hunt thru affricagems and there was nothing that i could find below $1000 in the blue sapphire section. Maybe I'm being dim? TL could you post a link if there was something that I missed? Thanks.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

I think you won't know unless you get one and also keep looking in the meantime just in case you don't love it when you get it.

I had a quick look through Africagems for you and found this http://www.africagems.com/blue-sapphire-g2k-3774.html but it's an emerald cut for $844 and who knows what the actual gem looks like from that illustration. Their videos rile me no end because they are a marketing ploy which is a video of photos!?!?!...grrrr :angryfire: what use is that to anyone? There are a couple of better looking octagon/rectangles but much more expensive which TL may have not noticed at the time - or else I don't see the ones she saw now :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starzin|1327487576|3111230 said:
I think you won't know unless you get one and also keep looking in the meantime just in case you don't love it when you get it.

I had a quick look through Africagems for you and found this http://www.africagems.com/blue-sapphire-g2k-3774.html but it's an emerald cut for $844 and who knows what the actual gem looks like from that illustration. Their videos rile me no end because they are a marketing ploy which is a video of photos!?!?!...grrrr :angryfire: what use is that to anyone? There are a couple of better looking octagon/rectangles but much more expensive which TL may have not noticed at the time - or else I don't see the ones she saw now :bigsmile:

Marc is very straightforward with questions on gems though, even though the video is a video of the photo (which drives me nuts too! ;-) ). I once asked a question about the color of a tsavorite, and showed him one that I saw online that I loved, and he was honest and upfront, and said that the one I saw was "more gemmy" than the one he had for sale. As with any vendor, always ask about tone, saturation, color shift and hue. Some are more honest than others, but at least they know you know your stuff when you ask questions like that. He will also provide other images if asked.

ETA: I like the one you picked out. It is a little sleepy, but at least it won't suffer from too much extinction, if it is darker in tone. I think other photos would have to be in order, and one should ask about the tone, and extinction in that stone if interested.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

i have purchased from africagems myself and whilst I had a hassle-free return it was partly due to the naff photos that it wasn't the color I wanted when I saw it irl.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Update. So the sapphire is currently being shipped to me! Hopefully I will :love: -it irl.

Now to finalise the setting details.I definitely want a double halo mirroring the stone outline. White gold. I'm thinking of asking them to taper the split shank so its wider where it touches the halo and narrows to a single shank under the finger. I'm also wondering if I can modify the underside of the basket so that I can wear my eternity band with it with as little gap as possible.

This is the setting that I like. What does everyone else think? Particularly about the quality. I'm looking at under $1500 for the setting. I want the best quality I can get for my budget. I know its not going to be the best work tho for that money but there you go.

Does anyone else make setting like this that I should consider as well?

013c.jpg

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Morganite. It will match with the gold.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

George Ellis|1328914834|3123562 said:

can you explain what you mean little more? I'm not sure what you are suggesting the morganite for.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amertrine|1328914719|3123558 said:
I just found this one that's similar.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/91831901/blue-topaz-yellow-sapphire-and-diamond

Is this PS vendor better than the Ebay vendor?

Be careful to make your customizations absolutely clear to LOGR, as they aren't going to show you finished CAD's or drawings of your customizations to your 100% approval. I heard mixed reviews of that etsy vendor. You can search them on this forum.

Which sapphire did you end up getting?

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade

amertrine|1328915102|3123569 said:
George Ellis|1328914834|3123562 said:

can you explain what you mean little more? I'm not sure what you are suggesting the morganite for.
I know you are looking for a blue sapphire, but when I looked at the setting, pink morganite seemed to fit in it very well. So, if you get stuck in a rut finding a sapphire... It should give a rose gold kind of look that will blend with your skin tone. Ignore my post without any guilt or cognative dissonance.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Amertrine...I take it that the stone you've got coming is the Africagems radiant?

I have no experience of LOGR settings but from other threads on PS, I believe the sort of customisations you want may need to be very carefully and simply specified. I get the impression that they are great on production line stuff but the moment you start changing things, they tend to go astray.

The LaurieSarah link is $1K above your stated budget but includes the centre stone and wedder, so it can't hurt to email and ask how much the semimount would be if they used a gem you supplied.

ETA: I've just reread and seen that the radiant isn't from Africagems so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

Please remember that you will need to budget 25% of the cost for import - VAT plus fees.

If you are near London I can give you the name of a guy in Hatton Garden who might have something suitable - he's Sri Lankan and has a LOT of blue sapphires at the moment in all shapes and sizes, heated and unheated.

You would need to get reports though - Gubelin is around £220 and SSEF is about double that, plus shipping if you want something the equivalent of AGL. There are other labs in the UK, but for a stone under $1k I'd be happy to trust this vendor having looked at a lot of his stock.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

25%!!!!! Wow. Even we don't have to pay that much.

Amertrine if I were you I'd grab Pandora's offer quick smart...this lady seems to have more connections of the right kind than the local telephone exchange ;))

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Starzin said:
Amertrine if I were you I'd grab Pandora's offer quick smart...this lady seems to have more connections of the right kind than the local telephone exchange

HAHA

Pandora|1329054857|3124582 said:
Please remember that you will need to budget 25% of the cost for import - VAT plus fees.

If you are near London I can give you the name of a guy in Hatton Garden who might have something suitable - he's Sri Lankan and has a LOT of blue sapphires at the moment in all shapes and sizes, heated and unheated.

You would need to get reports though - Gubelin is around £220 and SSEF is about double that, plus shipping if you want something the equivalent of AGL. There are other labs in the UK, but for a stone under $1k I'd be happy to trust this vendor having looked at a lot of his stock.

Thats really kind. I would be very interested in a UK supplier. I am not near London but I have family that are which I could send over there. Or if he has something perfect I could have a jolly down to london. How can I contact you for it?

Did you happen to notice if your contact had anything close to darker blue, 7x5mm radiant cut?

As for reports, I really don't mind any from of heat treatment as long as its a real earth made sapphire. So any lab that is capable of confirmed that's its real is fine by me.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

If you give me exact details, I'll pop in and have a look for you on Tuesday or Wednesday - I'm going there anyway as he's in the same building as the guy who does settings for me and I've got to take him some diamonds my SIL wants to set as earrings that she's salvaged from ex-husband jewellery).

If I can I'll take some photos for you.

(I studied gemmology in Hatton Garden so made a lot of contacts that way...)

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Pandora said:
If you give me exact details, I'll pop in and have a look for you on Tuesday or Wednesday - I'm going there anyway as he's in the same building as the guy who does settings for me and I've got to take him some diamonds my SIL wants to set as earrings that she's salvaged from ex-husband jewellery).

If I can I'll take some photos for you.

Thank you! Thats so kind and very much appreciated! :)

7x5mm or there abouts
medium to dark blue, (good saturation and less windowing preferred but still with some sparkle)
radiant cut (would still be interested in a good emerald cut but I like step cuts less)
mostly eye clean
heat treatment fine as long as its real earth mined not lab created

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Any advice on the settings?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

No advice on the settings really as you seem to pretty much know what you want.

Did you get the sapphire? How did it look?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results