shape
carat
color
clarity

in love with-- need honest opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mystra

Rough_Rock
So I posted earlier this weekend about wanting to build my dream ring after a really uneven 2009.
Since a ruby in the size I''d like would neer happen in a million years.... *sigh*
I asked for some suggestions for alternatives from the nice PS''ers on the forum.

30.gif

I fell in love with this stone:
http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/spinel/spinel-1.79-carats.html-0

I hope that link is clickable...
Is there anything about this stone that concerns anyone?
I love the shape and the color. Its a true red, no pink, with maybe a touch of purple as far as I can tell.
I also didn''t notice any windowing, but I''m definitely a novice so....

I''d like to put it in this setting from LOGR, at least for now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-09ct-Pave-Diamond-14K-Gold-Semi-Mount-Engagement-Ring_W0QQitemZ390134951172QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item5ad5daed04#ht_5995wt_941
I am in love with Leon Mege halos but don''t think that''s doable
right now.
11.gif

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 10:38:36 AM
Author:Mystra
So I posted earlier this weekend about wanting to build my dream ring after a really uneven 2009.
Since a ruby in the size I'd like would neer happen in a million years.... *sigh*
I asked for some suggestions for alternatives from the nice PS'ers on the forum.

30.gif

I fell in love with this stone:
http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/spinel/spinel-1.79-carats.html-0

I hope that link is clickable...
Is there anything about this stone that concerns anyone?
I love the shape and the color. Its a true red, no pink, with maybe a touch of purple as far as I can tell.
I also didn't notice any windowing, but I'm definitely a novice so....

I'd like to put it in this setting from LOGR, at least for now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-09ct-Pave-Diamond-14K-Gold-Semi-Mount-Engagement-Ring_W0QQitemZ390134951172QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item5ad5daed04#ht_5995wt_941
I am in love with Leon Mege halos but don't think that's doable
right now.
11.gif

Making links clickable and tried to add stone to ring.

probably not the best person to comment on the quality of the stone cos I'm still learning but I like the colour / ring design combo.

To my uneducated eye there seems to be a fair bit of extinction, so I would have passed this stone by but as I say I'm still on my "L' plates so .....

also because its a 'roundish oval' I dont think it will fit comfortably into your setting. I couldnt make it fit properly without altering the proportions. If you want that setting you would probably be better looking for an actual round.

Just my $0.02

45-4989-456.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knowing your budget (from your other thread) I would say you''re getting a big look for your money and making great use of the $s you have available. The stone does have some extinction but I don''t think it''s overpowering. Again, for the $s, you''ll struggle to get something that fits the colour, size, clarity and cut you want so I think this is a very very good option for you. If you''re worried about the extinction, email or phone AJS and get their opinion. I find Rung and Arnold incredibly helpful and honest.

Most importantly, does it sing to you? If somebody else snatched it from under your nose, how would you feel? If the answer is "sad", buy it now and don''t hesitate! There are lurkers who may get it so be quick!

Mystra

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 11:33:52 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Knowing your budget (from your other thread) I would say you''re getting a big look for your money and making great use of the $s you have available. The stone does have some extinction but I don''t think it''s overpowering. Again, for the $s, you''ll struggle to get something that fits the colour, size, clarity and cut you want so I think this is a very very good option for you. If you''re worried about the extinction, email or phone AJS and get their opinion. I find Rung and Arnold incredibly helpful and honest.

Most importantly, does it sing to you? If somebody else snatched it from under your nose, how would you feel? If the answer is ''sad'', buy it now and don''t hesitate! There are lurkers who may get it so be quick!

LovingDiamonds,
thanks for the advice. my budget isn''t set, i think there is another colored stone lover out there also looking for a great, red stone. i read her posts also, and i believe she is working within a specific budget.
i have some leeway, i will be getting my bonus soon, although truthfully i''m hoping for this to be more of a fun gift to myself and not necessarily a bank breaker.

MAC-W,
i appreciate your input. i didn''t notice the extinction since in my mind for the depth of color i''m looking for, i figured it could have some deeper, darker bits.
in your opinion is the extinction bad enough that i should just walk away?

thanks all.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2009 12:03:12 PM
Author: Mystra

Most importantly, does it sing to you? If somebody else snatched it from under your nose, how would you feel? If the answer is ''sad'', buy it now and don''t hesitate! There are lurkers who may get it so be quick!

LovingDiamonds,
thanks for the advice. my budget isn''t set, i think there is another colored stone lover out there also looking for a great, red stone. i read her posts also, and i believe she is working within a specific budget.
i have some leeway, i will be getting my bonus soon, although truthfully i''m hoping for this to be more of a fun gift to myself and not necessarily a bank breaker.

MAC-W,
i appreciate your input. i didn''t notice the extinction since in my mind for the depth of color i''m looking for, i figured it could have some deeper, darker bits.

thanks all.
Ooh, that might be me. Don''t worry, my decision will take much longer, and I personally would never snatch up someone else''s public pick.
38.gif
I''m still just learning, and had to look up and research extinction.
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DOH! Apologies ladies I have totally mixed you both up! But in my defence you are both ladies of good taste and as you can see are looking for the same thing! Did I get out of that ok?
9.gif

So back to Mystra''s link (and this time with fresh eyes)! Do you mind having some extinction? It''s not much and I doubt whether it would overtake the gemstone (and sometimes can actually add some interest) but will it bug you? I would still say to speak with AJS and get this opinion but it may be worth looking at as you are obviously in love with it!!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone seems to really show lovely color and its the type of red I really like. I think this may be a stone you just have to see in person to see if the extinction will bother you or not.

While you're looking you may also want to check out diamondexperts.com. Gary's got one over there thats quite red and had a recut. A bit over the amount of the stone you're showing but its also bigger. It would be worth contacting him I think if origin isn't a big deal to you Linky

As for the setting in question. LOGR can remake the head to fit your stone as long as they have all the correct dimensions, but ask how much first. Makes your turn around time a bit longer and when they're on their game the settings really look fantastic.

-A

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I second Aracadian''s suggestion...Gary is wonderful and that spinel has such a lively cut. There is some orange, but I also see orange in the AJS spinel. I would definitely contact both vendors and ask them for a description and their opinion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I love Gary, in his picture, his spinel shows a stronger orange and brown undertone. I don''t know if you mind that. On the plus side, if you are in the US, return shipping is easy and relatively inexpensive. The spinel also looks very well cut and lively.

The AJS looks to have better colour but has minor cutting issues. There''s a teeny tiny window and some extinction but not overly bad. Again, there''s a trade off and I second LD that if you are interested, the stone warrants additional follow up with AJS.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Mystra,

no worries:) I won''t snatch your stone from ya;-)

please let me know if you see a perfect round red under 4k

Your stone idea would look great but email the setting pic to your jeweler to make sure it will fit. Remember: the important thing is that YOU love it. I''m not a gemologist and don''t WANT my eye to become so trained that I want only absolute perfection.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 12:03:12 PM
Author: Mystra

Knowing your budget (from your other thread) I would say you're getting a big look for your money and making great use of the $s you have available. The stone does have some extinction but I don't think it's overpowering. Again, for the $s, you'll struggle to get something that fits the colour, size, clarity and cut you want so I think this is a very very good option for you. If you're worried about the extinction, email or phone AJS and get their opinion. I find Rung and Arnold incredibly helpful and honest.

Most importantly, does it sing to you? If somebody else snatched it from under your nose, how would you feel? If the answer is 'sad', buy it now and don't hesitate! There are lurkers who may get it so be quick!

LovingDiamonds,
thanks for the advice. my budget isn't set, i think there is another colored stone lover out there also looking for a great, red stone. i read her posts also, and i believe she is working within a specific budget.
i have some leeway, i will be getting my bonus soon, although truthfully i'm hoping for this to be more of a fun gift to myself and not necessarily a bank breaker.

MAC-W,
i appreciate your input. i didn't notice the extinction since in my mind for the depth of color i'm looking for, i figured it could have some deeper, darker bits.

thanks all.

Hi Mystra,
I'm probably the wrong person to ask about this cos I'm super paranoid about quality. Its all to do with my job and after 22 years of assessing quality and risk (admittedly not of gemstones - I'm an engineer) I have a complete aversion to anything less than the best I can get. Which means that I will happily sacrifice quantity (or anything else) for quality. And hold onto a good stone for a number of years until I can afford the right setting. I never ever use temporary settings, but thats just me. I will however accept a "bad" stone as a learning experience - as long as it not thousands of dollars of 'learning'

To me that stone has too much extinction to even consider but other people may well disagree (and if v.high quality isnt an issue then they are right to disagree)

The extinction in this stone isnt too bad, its just not good for me - but the colour is lovely and if you aren't hugely sensitive to extinction then I would say if you have the money buy it ... but if you want that specific LOGR setting, sorry but it aint going to fit. You will have to find a different stone. Or if you think you have found the right stone then you will have to look at a different (custom?) setting - or pay extra to get that LOGR setting 'adjusted'.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mystra, the color on the ajs spinel is lovely but I think it does have some extinction. I would ask their honest opinion on how that impacts the overall beauty and performance of the stone. They do say satisfaction guaranteed so you can always return it if you are unhappy with it. The ring is lovely and I think it will be stunning with a red spinel in it. Gary''s stone is pretty and would perform well but I don''t think it''s as red as you want. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results