shape
carat
color
clarity

In a panic over my upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock

I just discovered Pricescope a few days ago when I started looking for a new diamond. The forums are hugely informative, and I''m hoping for some advice.

After 7 fabulous years of marriage my husband suggested that I upgrade my engagement ring for Christmas this year. Now that I''ve done it I''m in a panic over whether I got a good stone and if I paid too much...

Original stone:
1.33 ct pear shape
9.59 X 6.09 X3.93
H color
VS2
64.5% depth
61% table
GIA Cert
New stone:
3.02 ct oval
11.30 X 8.09 X5.13
I color
SI 1
63 depth
53 table
GIA cert

First of all, is this a *good* oval? I have looked at the charts, and I THINK it is a good one, but would love other opinions on whether it is a well cut stone. (I am happy with the color and it is eye clean, so really looking for opinions on the numbers).

Now the $... The new stone was $23,500. I received $4,655 for a trade in of the pear, so the net difference is $18,845. Within the budget that I was prepared to spend, but still want to know what people think of the deal.

I will get to see the set ring tomorrow (the oval is being put in my original setting with .36 ct pears on each side) and I hope I did the right thing!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, according to the AGA chart, this is a well-cut diamond, but as always you have to see the stone to know if it''s well-cut. If you''ve seen it and love it, then it''s the stone for you.

Also, the price you paid was pretty good, in line with pricescope vendors. The advantage you have if you got it at a local jeweler is that you have someone to clean and check and repair your jewelry if necessary.

So, don''t panic, it sounds like you got a good one!

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for replying. On a purchase this large (carats and $s!) it is comforting to have some external validation!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
your ring sounds lovely dee jay!

please post pics when you get it
36.gif

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you did fine. I bet it will be beautiful in a setting with side pears!!!!!
30.gif
Can you please post hand pics when you get it?

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Will definitely post pics right after X-mas. Am a little worried, though, because I have read in these forums that the workmanship for New York Jewelers (on Wabash in Chicago) is not the greatest, but I will see it in an hour so I''ll know if my fears are unfounded. I am a bit disappointed in them already because they volunteered to tighten the prongs on my eternity band last week while I was looking at stones and I just realized on Sunday that now the prongs are all flattened out instead of the happy rounded ones that they once were. Honestly the prongs are SO tiny that only I will ever know this, but there must have been a better way to do it than destroy the delicate workmanship that I started out with...

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I just went and looked at my ring. The setting is fine (not 110% fabulous, but the thing that is wrong with is was wrong before--I just had the center stone replaced in my original setting and my issue is with the setting on a side stone--so I can''t really complain), but now I have a concern about the girdle thickness, which is extremely thin to slightly thick, faceted. I reviewed the GIA report at the time I was looking at the stone but I somehow missed this girdle info. (Very careless of me and I take full blame.)

I read that extremely thin girdles on fancies are not uncommon, and that depending on where the area is it might be OK. Can I really wear this thing on a daily basis or have I just bought my worst nightmare--a piece of jewelry that I''m afraid to put on and take out of the house? I am not at all careless with my jewelry but I do WEAR it...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Dee Jay, your new stone sounds beautiful!

As for the thin part of the girdle, I guess it depends upon whether or not the thinnest part of the girdle is protected by the setting as to how safe and durable the ring is.

That is something that an appraiser can tell you. Maybe the jeweler you bought it from could look at it for you too.

Chances are that only a tiny part of the girdle is very thin and you will be fine. But you might get it checked out for peace of mind.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree your stone sounds lovely. As far as the girdle is concerned it depends where the very thin part is. The appriaser can tell you more but should be ok. Can''t wait to see the pics!!

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies; hopefully the area will be small and protected by the setting. I''m heading over there after work to have them show me the girdle (not exactly the same impact as Clara Peller''s "show me the beef," but you know what I mean) so I can better evaluate the situation. And I will definitely have it independently appraised immediately after X-mas. This whole thing is stressing me out--not to the point that I''m not thrilled about getting a 3 ct diamond, but almost!!!

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Here is part of a post from Gary H (Cut Nut) from a string in June 2004 titled Bob''s Flashes - Girdle Thickness - how important is it?

An AGS thin would be a GIA thick, and a gIA thin would be an AGS very thin or maybe even extremely thin.
Folks the GIA more or less measures the girdle thickness and so as the stone gets bigger the thickness % reduces for the same grade.
GIA and AGS measure the girdle thickness at the thinnest point - the ''valley'', while European based labs measure at the main or bezel facets. A European lab''s pavilion, crown and girdle thickness add up to the total depth %, where-as all US labs graded diamonds are warped (he he he).

If I''m reading this correctly, could the "extremely thin" part of the girdle on my 3.02 ct oval actually be "sufficient," meaning it would be perfectly acceptable (i.e., plenty thick) if it were on a smaller stone? I know I''m grasping at straws here, but I searched long and hard for this stone and love EVERYTHING else about it except the word "extremely" on the GIA cert!

Somebody did a great posting the titled "does anybody miss life before pricescope" a little while ago. I agree completely--if I wasn''t armed with just enough info to be dangerous at this point I would be in heaven over this diamond...

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
I went to the jeweler''s and he looked at the GIA cert (but never got out the actual ring) and declared that the extremely thin part of the girdle must be on the edge of the stone where there was a "natural" shown. That was also logically the spot where you would put a prong, so he said they would have covered that with a prong and all is good with the world. I am welcome to bring the ring back to him after X-mas and he''ll take a look at it for me.

First of all, does this sound remotely reasonable? And, could he have known ANY of this without looking at the actual diamond? What if there were multiple extremely thin areas? Or what if the prong did not cover the one he belives to be at the "natural"?

Ug.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know, Dee Jay, I just don''t know!
2.gif

I say enjoy the ring and get it to an independent appraiser asap to check it out for you.

Again, enjoy those 3 carats!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results