mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reminds me of Harry Potter and He who shall not be named. [emoji3]

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
mochiko42|1430867673|3872667 said:

:lol: Thats a great example. Forums are so competitive these days. But now I know for next time.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1430866779|3872663 said:
Ooh, Katharath, I certainly hope you didn't think I was chastising you :oops: - if you "broke the rules" I didn't even notice! :lol:

Oh no of course I didn't think that! No worries :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
tourma-guy|1430867330|3872664 said:
katharath|1430863023|3872621 said:
Minous is completely right about that rule but I spaced on it...oops!

You can only edit your posts for a limited amount of time, it's not very long, maybe 15mins or so? I can't recall that, but I do know that the option disappears after a few mins.

Not your fault, its mine. ::) I'll just be sure to give myself extra lashings tonight before bed. :rodent:

I was just so happy to have the info that I completely forgot the rules, lol!!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the opal! Lucky find and I hope it stays like that long term. I have had no issues with my favourite Welo opal ring but I know it was cut long ago.

.....Voldemort!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've never understood Opal until I saw this beautiful lil Welo. Despite the fact I am in Australia which is probably the world's largest Opal producer I am probably going to have to get a Welo now...

Hmm...I want an opal and sapphire, yet I have virtually zero interest in any from my country that I could source or even fossick for myself in the outback. Am I an idiot?? :lol:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous opal yingh!! I can't wait to see how you set it!

Jordyonbass - I feel your pain! I'm in Aus too and we supposedly have some of the nicest pearls and opals - I just don't know where to find them! :lol:

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
ricezo|1430911414|3872866 said:

Jordyonbass - I feel your pain! I'm in Aus too and we supposedly have some of the nicest pearls and opals - I just don't know where to find them! :lol:

Lightning Ridge and Coober Pedy are the main two sources that I know of. I have some rough opal from both those places, but I'm on the hunt for a nice Lightning Ridge black opal. Pricey little buggers though.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tourma-guy|1430868383|3872672 said:

:lol: Thats a great example. Forums are so competitive these days. But now I know for next time.

While I can't say what prompted PS to adopt this rule, I know several forums with similar rules. It may not be a matter of competitiveness but as a way to avoid forum wars, where members of a forum start trolling another forum and posting about it. I don't think you were around for the indie bride incident, were you?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Another blast from the past: remember when there were several cutters we couldn't name here?

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1430919494|3872930 said:
While I can't say what prompted PS to adopt this rule, I know several forums with similar rules. It may not be a matter of competitiveness but as a way to avoid forum wars, where members of a forum start trolling another forum and posting about it. I don't think you were around for the indie bride incident, were you?

Don't get me wrong, I can see the purpose. Its just kinda annoying for the sake of sharing information to other people.

And nope I'm fresh meat around here. Sounds scandalous though. :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourma guy its really not that annoying. You just say something like "on another online website with Gemology in the title" and everyone knows what you mean. :)) What I have noticed is that we seem to be able to post to educational and non-profit sites but not others? Though that doesn't explain why we are allowed to link to seller's sites...hmm, time to go read the rules again!

I agree with you about the Lightning Ridge blacks and the Coober Pedy. I always wanted a Lightning Ridge opal because of their amazingly saturated color palettes (I love the ones with oranges, reds, and purples along with the more typical blues and greens). But then I started appreciating the more muted colors of Coober Pedys. So right now, I would love a Coober Pedy with all colors and I would dare set it in 18k yellow gold. Then I would do nothing but stare at it all day long, while turning my hand this way and that. :praise: :tongue:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tourma-guy|1430917019|3872913 said:

Lightning Ridge and Coober Pedy are the main two sources that I know of. I have some rough opal from both those places, but I'm on the hunt for a nice Lightning Ridge black opal. Pricey little buggers though.

A few years ago I was working in a different industry (for privacy reasons I won't mention too much here) and I remember handling what I would call a 'job' for the owner of a mine in Lightning Ridge. He was very eager to share with me information about his 'retirement fund', approximately 600lb of rough black opal in a safe deposit. No doubt the fund has probably gotten larger since as well! He offered me some rough but I had to say no due to conflict of interest. I wish I were a gem geek then and had called him outside of work hours!! hahaha

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
jordyonbass|1431091116|3873943 said:
tourma-guy|1430917019|3872913 said:

A few years ago I was working in a different industry (for privacy reasons I won't mention too much here) and I remember handling what I would call a 'job' for the owner of a mine in Lightning Ridge. He was very eager to share with me information about his 'retirement fund', approximately 600lb of rough black opal in a safe deposit. No doubt the fund has probably gotten larger since as well! He offered me some rough but I had to say no due to conflict of interest. I wish I were a gem geek then and had called him outside of work hours!! hahaha

Thats a heck of a retirement fund! I've seen some 2-3ct black opals go for 10's of thousands of dollars.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah it sure is! Even if it isn't all high quality material that fetches top $$, it is still a heck of a fund to be sitting on!

I can't even imagine what 600lb of Black Opal rough would even look like. And no doubt he would have more than that by now, judging by how many years ago it was and how fast he said his acquisition rate was I am guessing it's probably 700lb or possibly more now.

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
jordyonbass|1431105754|3874078 said:
Yeah it sure is! Even if it isn't all high quality material that fetches top $$, it is still a heck of a fund to be sitting on!

I can't even imagine what 600lb of Black Opal rough would even look like. And no doubt he would have more than that by now, judging by how many years ago it was and how fast he said his acquisition rate was I am guessing it's probably 700lb or possibly more now.

I'd be like Scrooge McDuck swimming in a pool of black opal rough. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results