shape
carat
color
clarity

Impromptu trip to Bay Area-help with B&Bs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I''ll be in Oakland for work on 1/18, and DH and I just decided that he''ll come up and join me for the rest of the MLK weekend. Yay! I''ve only been to SF once, for a grand total of 2 hours. I would love recommendations for great places to stay in Sausalito or the Point Reyes area. I know it''s short notice for a holiday weekend, but I''m hoping there''s still rooms available.

Any recommendations on fun things to do? We''re more outdoorsy types than city types but will probably spend at least part of one day in SF itself.

Thanks!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, we just got back from SF and it was WONDERFUL!! There were only a couple places to stay in Sausalito (at least, I only saw a couple, but there may be more in the less-touristy part). Both were right next to the ferry terminal. Definitely get a car and drive up to Napa or Sonoma, we chose to go to Sonoma and the Jack London State Park, and tasted some decent wines along the way (if you happen upon Imagery Winery on Rt. 12, the white burgundy is excellent). Even if you don''t like wine, the scenery is worth it. We got back to Muir Woods too late to go in, but it''s definitely on my list for the next time we go out there.

Walking along Ocean Beach was nice, especially since it was a fairly warm day and tons of people were out with their doggies. There are so many parks in SF, too, which was a lovely change from crowded East Coast cities. We were there for a week and still didn''t get to do everything we wanted to do, so I''m sure you won''t have trouble filling the days!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selkie, I am not familiar with the Point Reyes area really, what is up there? I am familiar with Sausalito but only for restaurants, not places to stay. Try checking out Tiburon also for places to stay as it's right next to Sausilito. Oh..I do remember an inn or something in Sausalito that we always see when we are going to dinner, it's on the water near the ferry. Not sure what it's called but it's pretty big and seems popular.

I love checking out online reviews of places that I find...I would totally recommend that to you, and Google is helpful as well.

Sausalito and Tiburon are probably like 10-15min into SF depending on traffic on the GG bridge. If you stay on the coast like Pt Reyes it might take longer to get into SF.

If you want to be within about an hour drive and don't have to stay on the coast, I'd say stay in Sonoma. Super cute town, wine tasting and about an hour from SF. I would a day trip to SF/Tiburon/Sausalito and then stick around a day in Sonoma and Napa area. Tiburon and Sausalito are tiny towns, we typically can go there, park and walk around and be done within an hour.

In SF...if you want to do something a little less 'typical' touristy (aka something other than Fishermans Wharf), check out the Great Highway along where the Cliff House and Sutro Baths are (or the baths used to be)...and walk along the highway and ocean. We like to eat at Beach Chalet for lunch or dinner...you have a beautiful view of the ocean.

Since you mention outdoorsy, check out Muir Woods and do a long walk or hike or similar. Beautiful shaded areas, but it will probably be a little chilly.

Have fun!

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
hi selkie! i'm planning to have my wedding in tiburon and have been researching hotels there. not much to relate - there are only two hotels!! the lodge and water's edge. water's edge is pricier than the lodge but it does get better reviews. i think water's edge has a 2 night minimum.

are you looking for a nice clean place to stay or someplace romantic?

if just a nice clean place in a decent area central to things you might consider in SF

Buena Vista Motor Inn
-- very very good rates. decent location that is central to public transit and good reviews

as for things to do - there are tons to keep you busy :). walk around north beach and climb up to coit tower, take the cable car (of course), go to the ferry building (lots of gourmet food there and nice view of the bay. taylors refresher is great gourmet burger place that has addictive french fries), catch a movie at the castro theater ( they have an organ player at the fri and sat night shows), check out lang antiques in down town area ( :razz: ).

lots...i'm not as familiar with marin area but feel free to ask me about SF. and the suggestions about going to napa are good ones! have fun!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recommendations! We''re looking for something fairly romantic, but not over the top resort/spa type places (which is good, since there aren''t many). Point Reyes/Western Marin has a few small towns like Inverness and Point Reyes Station that look promising as a base to go hiking and exploring the beach. There''s the Point Reyes National Seashore, which is a pretty huge park. I think I''ve found a place to stay, as long as I can talk them out of their 3(!) night minimum for that weekend.
14.gif
It''s the Ten Inverness Way B&B. It''s a Craftsman style inn, right near Tomales Bay, looks very cozy.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Ringster, I bet that will be a beautiful place for your wedding! When is it?

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Try looking up the Pelican Inn over in Muir Beach. Pretty close to Stinson Beach, which has kind of a cute little downtown area. http://www.pelicaninn.com/ Hope you enjoy your trip!

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
hi selkie - it is may 17, 2008 :)

enjoy your stay!!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
The Inn Above Tide in Sausalito. I stayed there many years ago and it''s absolutely fantastic. It''s right on the Bay. Probably pricey but worth it!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 1:33:37 PM
Author: parrot tulips
Try looking up the Pelican Inn over in Muir Beach. Pretty close to Stinson Beach, which has kind of a cute little downtown area. http://www.pelicaninn.com/ Hope you enjoy your trip!

Wow, that looks really cool, and I love that it has it''s own pub! I''m definitely calling them.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 1:48:24 PM
Author: curlygirl
The Inn Above Tide in Sausalito. I stayed there many years ago and it''s absolutely fantastic. It''s right on the Bay. Probably pricey but worth it!
I checked it out-BEAUTIFUL. Pricey is right, but definitely one to keep in mind for future trips.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results