shape
carat
color
clarity

*IMPORTANT* for those who like giving/getting gift cards...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I got this e-mail from my mom last week: (it was forwarded a couple of times, but I do know this is mostly true- ex. at Linens n'' Things they won''t take gift cards anymore, and the Sharper Image closed in my mall and they wouldn''t honor the gift cards either)

I wanted to give everyone a heads up that if you tend to give gift cards
around the holidays, you need to be careful that the cards will not be
honored after the holidays.

Stores that are planning to close after Christmas are still selling the
cards through the holidays even though the cards will be worthless January

1. There is no law preventing them from doing this. On the contrary, it is
referred to as ''Bankruptcy Planning).

Below is a partial list of stores that you need to be cautious about.

Circuit City (filed Chapter 11)

Ann Taylor 117 stores nationwide closing

Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug ,and Catherine''s to close 150 stores nationwide

Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January

Cache will close all stores

Talbots closing down specialty stores

J. Jill closing all stores (owned by Talbots) Pacific Sunwear (also owned by
Talbots)

GAP closing 85 stores

Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January

Wickes Furniture closing down

Levitz closing down remaining stores

Bombay closing remaining stores

Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January

Whitehall closing all stores

Piercing Pagoda closing all stores

Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.

Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ ( New Brunswick )

Macys to close 9 stores after January

Linens and Things closing all stores

Movie Galley Closing all stores

Pep Boys Closing 33 stores

Sprint/Nextel closing 133 stores

JC Penney closing a number of stores after January

Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.

Wilson Leather cl osing down all stores

Sharper Image closing down all stores

K B Toys closing 356 stores

Loews to close down some stores

Dillard''s to close some stores

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Good to know.

And gosh, there are a lot of stores closing down completely, it seems.

So sad.

23.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the heads up.

Sad to see so many stores are closing for good.

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
That is so sad. Hopefully it picks up soon...

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I know it was sooo many stores, I read it out loud to my boyfriend and we kept going, "whoa! Wow! That''s so many!" But fortunately I only asked for Victoria Secret, Border''s and DSW gift cards for My birthday and xmas- coming up so soon!

clop

Shiny_Rock
Hiya ILoveAsschers13!

Thanks for this public service announcement. It's surprising & sad all these stores are closing. I was curious, googled, and found this article:

http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/local_story_323234535.html

It claims the email is partly bogus? I'm not sure what to make of it, but I hope the email is semi-false, I'd hate to see all those stores fail.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Thanks, I don''t personally know if this is all true. I just did know that SOOO many stores are closing and/or filing bankruptcy. I for sure know Linens n'' THings, Circuit City, and Sharper Image, but I don''t really shop at the other stores. Thanks though for the further research!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Iloveasschers--Thanks for the info, you are absolutely right about staying away from gift cards if you''re unsure about a store''s future.

But I have to admit, when I saw Cache on that list I just about fell over. MY STORE! My dear, sweet, instantfixformydressaddiction Cache on a list of stores that are closing! I couldn''t handle it. Thank goodness Snopes has some more info, and I can now rest assured that I''ll be able to frequent Cache after the holidays!
2.gif

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
WOW! Thank you for posting this, and how sad and unethical these businesses are knowing full well they are just taking people''s money without anything given in return. :| I will let everyone I know know about this.

(PS Haven''t read the entire thread yet...so if there have been updates, this post doesn''t reflect them. :) )

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
FYI - even with Macy closings some stores down, unless they go 10000% under they will be fine (the joys of being a part of federated inc!) Gap will be fine as well - they are going through their growing period, to re define themselves. The stores i would be cautious of are the smaller specialty stores. Big retailers (with the exception of circuit city) are usually fine until they file. even then, they can still make it (hello, KMart?)
Also, if you do buy gift certificates for friends/family keep your receipt for that gift card. some store will let you return for your money back (with a receipt, of course). As a previous store manager and buyer, the best bet is hang on to those receipts!

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
just received this update from ann taylor (i am on their mailing list)
Just an FYI :) Although i am sure a ton of companies will be sending similar emails :)

Dear Valued Client:

It has come to our attention that false and misleading information, regarding our Company and our store closure program, is circulating on the Web, as part of a hoax to scare consumers away from purchasing gift cards. Ann Taylor is a financially strong Company that operates nearly 1,000 Ann Taylor, LOFT, Ann Taylor Factory and LOFT Outlet stores across the U.S. In January 2008, we announced plans to close some underperforming stores, as part of a strategic restructuring program to make us an even stronger Company that can continue to serve you in the future. Our gift cards continue to be a popular and great option for gifting this Holiday season and can be redeemed at any of our stores, as well as online at anntaylor.com and anntaylorLOFT.com. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Kay Krill
President and Chief Executive Officer
Ann Taylor Stores Corporation

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Not every Curcuit City is closing.....

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 9:39:31 PM
Author: IloveAsschers13
Hey Thanks, I don''t personally know if this is all true. I just did know that SOOO many stores are closing and/or filing bankruptcy. I for sure know Linens n'' THings, Circuit City, and Sharper Image, but I don''t really shop at the other stores. Thanks though for the further research!

That''s why I said that
2.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 12:56:33 PM

Date: 11/23/2008 9:39:31 PM

That''s why I said that
2.gif
and that''s why I cleared that up for you.
emotion-5.gif

studyer83

Shiny_Rock
Gift cards always seemed like an interest free loan to a company.

A serious question to those who give gift cards (please don''t take this obnoxiously or like I''m threatening you, we all have our personal preferences) - why?

I get the idea of wanting to give someone a card to someplace so they will ''splurge'' on themselves (ie, Sephora).

But the things just get lost/loose value/get forgotten about (I''m SO bad about this!)/go defunct....
I dunno. I''m genuinely curious!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 3:38:37 PM
Author: studyer83
Gift cards always seemed like an interest free loan to a company.

A serious question to those who give gift cards (please don''t take this obnoxiously or like I''m threatening you, we all have our personal preferences) - why?

I get the idea of wanting to give someone a card to someplace so they will ''splurge'' on themselves (ie, Sephora).

But the things just get lost/loose value/get forgotten about (I''m SO bad about this!)/go defunct....

I dunno. I''m genuinely curious!

I think because some people just don''t like to give cash but want to give a gift the recipient will like. My MIL always buys me gift cards to my favorite stores...don''t know why but I DO know I''d rather get a gift card than clothing she picked for me!

studyer83

Shiny_Rock
I DO know I''d rather get a gift card than clothing she picked for me!

so true!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
There was a thread about giftcards about a week ago - why people like or dislike them.

I also got the e-mail from Ann Taylor. I''d be really skeptical of some of the things on the original list. Of course, some are true, but when people are afraid of the economy''s downturn, irrational fears can hurt companies even further. Also, most gift cards are good for not only the store, but it''s parent company and online purchases. Even if, worst case scenario, you gave a card for a business that shut down, the recipient could likely use it at another branch (and nearly everything in the mall is a branch of a larger retailer).

Mini-jack - I thought this was really interesting - DH and I have been working on an Xmas list for our families, so I made links to everything that is specific or different. When I went to make a link to my massage place''s gift card page, I noticed that they accept ALL massage gift certificates from ANY salon/spa/etc. I thought that was an awesome strategy for getting loyal customers.

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 3:47:10 PM
Author: studyer83
I DO know I''d rather get a gift card than clothing she picked for me!

so true!

ohhh my. i am STILL trying to break my moms habit of picking out clothes for me ;-) but she does it with love... (and beading, glitter...
41.gif
)

Elm - I agree! i would love it if my salon took other gift certificates. I think it is very smart marketing!

I always tend to ask for gift cards because i never know what i want, and being self conscious about my body, i dont like the idea of people buying me clothes. however, they can always buy me jewelry. that ALWAYS fits :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results