shape
carat
color
clarity

Import Duties for Takahashi Loose Pearls

kobido

Rough_Rock
Hi! For those in the US who have experience ordering from Takahashi for loose pearls, were you charged with import duties? Apologies if this was already discussed but so far, from my readings here at PS, I haven’t encountered post about this. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you’re charged seems to depend on where you are, how much you buy, and your international buying history. Yes, you might still owe customs even when buying loose gems or unfinished jewellery.

I mostly ship to two states. Using FedEx - I’ll get a bill in the mail from FedEx for any customs and FedEx brokerage fees 2-4 weeks after my parcel arrives. Using DHL - I’ve yet to be charged any customs fees, but they’re also always lower value packages, I request FedEx for anything valuable

Then quarterly/yearly my state comptroller sends me a notice for use tax (same rate as state sales tax would be). If you don’t get a notification you’ll need to file use tax yourself - your state government site will have info on how to do that.

Last edited:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are two types of tax possible. There's duty which is levied by a state on goods depending on what they are and how desirable their import is, whether there is a trade agreement between the origin state and the destination state - and there's also purchase tax, which is levied at a state rate no matter what the item is. On loose pearls there will the purchase tax due but usually not duty, which is usually only levied on finished jewellery. And then the shipping company usually bangs on a brokerage/customs agent fee on top.
(state here means country. There may be permutations for countries which have semi-independent states which set their own tax rates)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the times I’ve had them ship via EMS, I’ve never been billed for additional duties. It’s uninsured though so I only opt for this if it’s a relatively low cost purchase since it’s a (very low but not zero) risk.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Individual countries have different thresholds. Below which they don't levy at the border. I can't remember what the USA one is, but from memory only it's quite high. You are much more fortunate than me here. From around $22.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Loose gemstones should be exempt from import duties in the US. I believe that is part of the US tax code, but I could be wrong.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Loose pearls should indeed not be liable for duty (same around the world). But they may still be liable for any local purchase tax - and however much the shipping company charges to nurture them across the border.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loose pearls should indeed not be liable for duty (same around the world). But they may still be liable for any local purchase tax - and however much the shipping company charges to nurture them across the border.

yeah the customs broker (OP - that's the shipper if you use fedex/ups/dhl) gets their get their pound of flesh :bigsmile:

kobido

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results