shape
carat
color
clarity

IMO...HOA is a ripoff !

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
heraanderson|1325878103|3096660 said:
I think especially now with foreclosures, some neighborhoods are looking pretty hard on the eyes and having unkept houses in the neighborhood lowers your property value. Houses with HOA"s are much more resistant to this by monitoring the neighborhood. My HOA even pays for the upkeep on houses that fall into foreclosure.

Still, there is the negativity of restriction when it comes to these HOA and there is a feeling that you want to do whatever you want but I think in some cases the benefits outweigh the negatives.

You for sure have to research the HOA rules and also ask neighbors how they feel about the neighborhood. We have a lot of foreclosures in our subdivision (there are at least 70 houses here). In fact, I know of 6 right off the top. There is a rule of 5 rental limit to the entire neighborhood, so when we applied for the house we're renting, the owners had to contact the HOA to ask for permission since we would be the family who'd bring it over the limit. They approved us the same day. I think in this economy, there might be more flexibility. Aside from one house, which I think is still in the short-sale stage, someone has been maintaining the yards of the foreclosed. It took a couple months before I realized one was empty since the yard is still nice!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Where we live there isn't an HOA but we do have a neighborhood association which is a group of volunteers that advocates on behalf of the neighborhood and arranges things like neighborhood clean up days. No dues or anything, just civic-minded people working for the neighborhood. There is still some infighting and political posturing, but it's a remarkably effective system.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I would much rather have a HOA than not. Ours runs about $50 per month and includes security, landscaping, and maintenance of the common areas. It also enforces the that homeowners keep their properties maintained as well as follow the other rules. I would be plenty peeved if I had to look out my front window and see a lawn not maintained or junky cars, RV's etc parked on the streets. A well maintained neighborhood is important to me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results