shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m so excited!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I finally filled in the forms - and the credit card bit
15.gif
- and sent them back to Gem-A in Hatton Garden.

Yup, I finally enrolled on the Foundation Gemmology Course - sadly I can''t take the exam until next January as I was hoping to do it quicker so I could get on with the Diploma and hopefully get my FGA qualification.

I''m doing it by correspondence - plus a one day practical session. The exam is 2 three hour papers plus a practical - and you need at least a B grade to pass - so serious studying for me this year!

My big parcel of books and instruments should be here in the next week - yay!

Best bit is they have a Stone Lending Library
27.gif
- sad thing is you have to give them back.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Pandora!!! That''s super exciting!
36.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!
36.gif

I would love to be able to do the same!

Are you going to take pics to share of any special/pretty sparklies that come into your possession?

I''m sure you will do fabulously! Good luck!
35.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 6:23:14 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
Congratulations!
36.gif

I would love to be able to do the same!

Are you going to take pics to share of any special/pretty sparklies that come into your possession?

I''m sure you will do fabulously! Good luck!
35.gif
If they are nice - yes. But I have a sneaky suspicion they will be 5th-rate rocks for looking at crystalline structure or something.
38.gif

I had a look at the GIA and HRD courses, but the FGA was much cheaper for some reason and very handy for me being in London. It seems a lot more scientific and technical than the GIA, which is more detail orientated, but has a very good reputation.

I must admit I felt a little ill when I looked through the syllabus!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so exciting Pandora!!!! Congrats!! I''m sure you''ll do very well!!
36.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Pandora! I''m sure you''ll learn so much -- and it sounds like a lot of fun.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so cool Pandora! yay!!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
that is very cool. i hope you love it!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Pandora! Sounds fun!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great Pandora. Sounds very fun! I''m planning to sign up for a gemology course next year after my younger son starts Kindergarten and am pretty excited about it.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 8:45:33 PM
Author: MC
That''s great Pandora. Sounds very fun! I''m planning to sign up for a gemology course next year after my younger son starts Kindergarten and am pretty excited about it.
Sorry for the threadjack Pandora ... MC, can I ask where or how? I know that you are in the Pacific Northwest and I am interested in doing the same.

I would jump on Pandora''s train but you are a little too far away.
2.gif
... Pandora, actually, do you know if your school offers courses on this side of the world or would you be able to share any info. Everything I have found online seems to not speak to me but to people who are already in the "know".

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you, Pandora, and best of luck!
36.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that''s amazing. Good luck to you!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATS! I AM SURE YOU DO NOT NEED LUCK!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 11:05:53 PM

Sorry for the threadjack Pandora ... MC, can I ask where or how? I know that you are in the Pacific Northwest and I am interested in doing the same.

2.gif
... Pandora, actually, do you know if your school offers courses on this side of the world or would you be able to share any info. Everything I have found online seems to not speak to me but to people who are already in the ''know''.
There is a long-distance course through the GIA (or locally in NY or CA). The courses are done that way and then you take classes locally to finish out your degree. The local classes are offered during specific times of the year and are offered nearby me in Seattle on certain dates.

Here''s a link to the GIA http://www.gia.edu/education/24264/graduate_gemologist.cfm

Oh, fwiw, I went to Carlsbad last summer and drove around the GIA and checked it out. We didn''t go inside because it was a holiday weekend, BUT, I took pictures. It was hilarious because the guards came out of their little guard station and started intently watching us as if my husband, me and our two little boys were planning to hold up the GIA!!! lol

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the GIA sign. My husband, kids and I were on our way to Legoland in Carlsbad when along side the little street which leads to the theme park was the GIA *right there*! I thought I was going to die from excitment! lol

carlsbadgia1.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2008 11:05:53 PM

Date: 1/9/2008 8:45:33 PM

2.gif
... Pandora, actually, do you know if your school offers courses on this side of the world or would you be able to share any info. Everything I have found online seems to not speak to me but to people who are already in the ''know''.

Certainly does - most of the people doing the correspondence course are in India, Thailand etc.

You just need an approved centre where you can take the practical and sit the exams. There''s a list on their website.

Everything else is done via email - assignments etc and you have a personal tutor to mark them.

Here''s the link with details:

The prices I found were:

FGA:

On campus:
16 month course - £2850 - approx $5579
5 month Fast-Track - £5850 - approx $11,450

Correspondence:
Foundation: £1124
Diploma: £1599
Total for FGA cert including all practicals - £2723 which is approx $5,336

GIA:

On campus - $14,695 (In the USA)
Correspondence - $7,510

This was some info that I found online about the courses:

Gemmological Association of Great Britain
The FGA is the world''s oldest and (in my opinion) most valued gemological designation. Cost for their program is significantly less than the GIA, although you will have to get your own study specimens and be more motivated to do your own study. But the FGA will give you the highest level of knowledge and expertise in both the practical and theory of gemology. Both distance study and on-site study available. Strength is the wonderful amount of knowledge offered by their courses.

Weakness is the overall lack of proper marketing of their program, and the slow response to student requests by the Gem-A office. US Students have specifically complained about very slow response from their US based tutors in returning graded lessons. If you are going to enroll in the FGA program, ask for a UK based tutor. You won''t have problems that way.

Gemological Institute of America

The most recognized gemological credential in the United States. Offers a wonderful array of services along with on-line teaching and a lot of assistance with study by sending out specimens for grading, etc.... VERY expensive, even for home study. The Graduate Gemologist program costs in excess of US$10,000.00 at the last report I had. Which makes this a long term and costly effort. Their strength is that the program is well supported technically and the GG is the most recognized designation in the US. Weaknesses are the exceptionally high cost, and the fact that the GIA does not teach enough theory in my opinion. Leaving some GG''s without a firm foundation in some areas.

Another draw back on the GG program is the over reliance on expensive gemological equipment. Perhaps because the GIA owns Gem Instruments as a for-profit corporation, but the GIA courses teach students to rely heavily on expensive gemological equipment...all for sale by Gem Instruments. Not a proper match up in my opinion. And I got my first GIA certificate in 1978, and the latest in 1996, so I have been around them quite a few years.

More info here

There are cheaper courses, but my thinking was that if I am going to put the time, effort and $$ into doing this, I want one of the best recognised qualifications world-wide. I was also more drawn to the FGA as I am less interested in the more retail orientated stuff than the very scientific bits which really fascinate me. FGA also provides a big equipment pack full of instruments that are yours to keep included in the price.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 1:25:05 PM
There is a long-distance course through the GIA (or locally in NY or CA). The courses are done that way and then you take classes locally to finish out your degree. The local classes are offered during specific times of the year and are offered nearby me in Seattle on certain dates.

Here''s a link to the GIA http://www.gia.edu/education/24264/graduate_gemologist.cfm

Oh, fwiw, I went to Carlsbad last summer and drove around the GIA and checked it out. We didn''t go inside because it was a holiday weekend, BUT, I took pictures. It was hilarious because the guards came out of their little guard station and started intently watching us as if my husband, me and our two little boys were planning to hold up the GIA!!! lol

MC -- You are fantastic!
36.gif
Thanks for taking the time to share that great information and the GIA sign pic! I laughed when I saw that b/c I would have done the SAME thing.
9.gif

I am going to look into it further! How exciting!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 2:05:46 PM
Author: Pandora II

Certainly does - most of the people doing the correspondence course are in India, Thailand etc.

You just need an approved centre where you can take the practical and sit the exams. There''s a list on their website.

Everything else is done via email - assignments etc and you have a personal tutor to mark them.

Here''s the link with details:
Pandora -- My goodness, you went to a lot of effort to post this info for me. Both you and MC are incredible! Thank you kindly! I really, really appreciate it!

I will investigate what you have provided and maybe I too will be signed up for courses.

Again, good luck to you and I am sure you will excel!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome.

It''s nice to put my research to another use than just myself!
26.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results