shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m not one for crafts, but look what I did!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, as the title says, I''m not really one for crafts and projects around the home. I''ll frame a pic here and there, but that''s about where my creativity ends.

So, my husband has these awful chairs from his Great-Grandparents, but we''ve kept them covered under a white chair cover because they''re . . . well, they''re ugly.

So, I started the manual process of sanding, painting and upholstering this weekend. I got one done, but tell me what you think!

Before - the backs.

IMG 1319scaled.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
The fronts!

IMG 1320scaled.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
After . . .

IMG 1329scaled.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
And another after . . .

IMG 1337scaled.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice work! They''re way cuter now!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
you did a great job but I love the before better.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Thing2of2!

Karl, thanks, but they absolutely did not go with my house before - they were covered by a white linen chair cover, as my house is full of dark woods. Oak just doesn''t work with my style.
2.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very nicely done! That looks quite professional, and it matches your decor beautifully.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 8:15:41 PM
Author: Circe
Very nicely done! That looks quite professional, and it matches your decor beautifully.
Thanks, Circe - the hope is that eventually I''ll find dining room chairs that I love, and these will move up to the master bedroom, where our duvet is brown satin-ey damask!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Holy cow Lauren!!!! Those look awesome!
36.gif
So could you come and reupholster my old rocking chair?
3.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, Lauren!!!
30.gif

I thought they were pretty before, but they look even better now!!!
36.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
They look great!! I love the fabric you chose.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
you did a really great job, im impressed. before you know it you will be doing all kinds of creative stuff

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 7:51:35 PM
Author: strmrdr
you did a great job but I love the before better.
+1.

i''m just more of a wood person.

movie zombie

ps will admit that oak isn''t working for me either.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Lauren!

Awesome job!

I adore your area rug as well...I have the same colors in my living room and dining room!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You did a great job Lauren. I love them!!!!
36.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look great, fabulous job!
I think that my sister has that same rug!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I think they look awesome! Love the brown damask upholstering. I don''t think they were bad before, but this gives a whole new look, and it looks great.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Lauren~ Great job!

I don''t know if you want opinions, but I''m going to give you mine...
I can''t tell if it''s just the photo or if there is some unevenness in the paint. If it''s uneven, sand between coats for a cleaner finish. Also, for wood that isn''t in bad shape to begin with, you usually don''t need to sand. You can use a deglosser instead. It gives the new finish something to adhere to and saves you lots of time!

Refinishing furniture is addictive. You''ll start thinking about how you can change every piece you meet!!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Great job! I''m impressed.

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice!!! They match your table a lot better now!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for your comments/tips, everyone! This was pretty much the first time painting furniture for me, and the chair was in awful shape before - wood splintering pretty much everywhere - the before pics give them much more credit than they deserve. The colour of the wood looks darker in the photo, and you can''t see any of the major imperfections.

The problem is that the paint has kind of magnified the areas where the splintering happened. I''ve tried sanding between coats, but that''s not helping. Hopefully the other chair will not be as difficult to cover the damage.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Lauren~ Since you''re painting the furniture, you can stave off splintering by brushing on some wood glue first. Then you can sand down where it''s uneven before painting. It would be worth a try for old splintery wood. Sometimes with that condition, you''d sand for days without seeing any improvement. There is also a wood filler available and easy to use to fill in any exceedingly bad imperfections. It can also be sanded.

Good luck on the next chair!

btw-I really like your fabric!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 11:45:27 AM
Author: somethingshiny
Lauren~ Since you''re painting the furniture, you can stave off splintering by brushing on some wood glue first. Then you can sand down where it''s uneven before painting. It would be worth a try for old splintery wood. Sometimes with that condition, you''d sand for days without seeing any improvement. There is also a wood filler available and easy to use to fill in any exceedingly bad imperfections. It can also be sanded.

i sense that you have learned much and i would love to have you share! care to start a thread over in the Family & Home forum on wood finishing tips?

movie zombie

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
very nice Lauren!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
MZ~ I did start a thread on FHH. I didn''t list tips, I''ll wait to see if anyone has any questions.

lauren~ I hope I didn''t come off as anything less than supportive and excited for you.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Very nice! You''ve got me wondering if there''s anything I can do for my dining room table and chairs now...

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Nice work!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
They look great Lauren!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 11:45:27 AM
Author: somethingshiny

That''s fantastic, SS! I still have the other one to do, and possibly 2 more living in someone''s attic in my husband''s family.

I appreciate all of your tips, and will try the wood glue/wood filler on the second one. Thank you!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results