shape
carat
color
clarity

I''''m I sick?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking about getting a microscope so that I can see the laser incription that can only be seen at 50X magnification. I''m I going to far? I''ve seen the inscription twice but it''s just not enough!
20.gif

JC

Shiny_Rock
50x magnification? I thought it only required a 30x level to see the inscription. Oh well. In the end, do what makes you feel comfortable. Look at it as much as you want. You paid for it.

9.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
It''s becoming an obsession. I never thought it would happen to me.
19.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Eventually it happens to EVERYONE! First it starts as gaining some knowledge to make an intelligent decision. Then, you have to learn more. Then you have to see what everyone is talking about so you have to get the tweezers, loupe, and ideal-scope. Then you want to make sure you are not missing anything, and pretty soon you have to go beyond 50X so you can check the molecular breakdown of your diamond. It just keeps going on and on and on......

LM you are not alone!!
2.gif
9.gif
2.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Thank goodness I not alone! I just needed to hear that. It''s good to know that there are people out here who understand my obsession.
9.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Wow! It''s so affordable. Do you have one? Thanks strmrdr.
2.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Wouldn't a 30x loupe work just as well (and be smaller to carry and store?)

I admit, I'd like to "see" my laser inscription more often, too!!!
2.gif

Lynn

PS If anyone knows of a good source for a loupe like that, please let me know! THANKS!
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2004 4:20:30 PM
Author: lmurden
Wow! It''s so affordable. Do you have one? Thanks strmrdr.
2.gif
No i dont but want one.
Iv used one that a friend has.
They are actually high enough quality that several universities use them in their labs.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the "inscription loupe" sold by Kassoy. They don''t mention the power. I''d be curious what it is if anybody checks it out.

http://www.kassoy.com/l2001.html

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Rich, thanks for that link. That was interesting!

After I posted above, I went cruising on eBay and found several 30x loupes for under $20. I don''t know about the "quality" of them, of course... but how much can be wrong with a loupe?!!!
2.gif

Hmmmm.... I may just have to "git me one of them"!!!
20.gif
2.gif
9.gif

Lynn

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
The answer is yes. You are sick.. but so are the rest of us, so you are in good company.

Shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
LOL! LM, if you are sick then I must be on the brink of being committed! I have access to some very powerful microscopes (1000x), shadowlight, dissection, camerascope, fluorescence, you name it, and just what do you think I have done with all my diamonds?!!!!! I swear my former collegues were rallying to medicate me!!! That being said, there are some loupes out there that go to 30x, that way you can leave it in your jewelry case (or jean pocket) and view your inscription any old time! Yes, Ok, I have loupes everywhere, I already admitted to being crazy!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2004 3:38
6.gif
4 PM
Author:lmurden
I''m thinking about getting a microscope so that I can see the laser incription that can only be seen at 50X magnification. I''m I going to far? I''ve seen the inscription twice but it''s just not enough!
20.gif
i can read the incription with a 20x loupe if i tilt the diamond just at a right angle.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock

My laser inscription is legible only at 50x magnification. I guess this is just a Blue Nile thing. Actually, I talked to my friend and he thinks that I''m going to far and told me to get a hobby instead of obsession over my diamond ring. I took it with a grain of salt because everybody is entitled to their opinion.

20.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I want to know too!
9.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/29/2004 10:22:20 AM
Author: strmrdr

Kewl!
Which one did you get?
Its on my list to buy but I havent decided on which version yet.
You should go for the QX5 since it is the newer version. I found it on Amazon for $59.
The text I found indicated the X5 had a brighter LED and probably a better lens. I think it also pulls it''s power through the USB so no batteries required.

I still want a x30 loupe for trips though :)

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
I bought the QX5 and think it''s great
emsmiled.gif

x10 magnification is great for close up whole ring shots
x60 magnification can focus on a small section of the diamond. Good for reading your inscription
x200 magnification - too powerful to use on diamonds but fun to play with

lovesquares

Rough_Rock
I don''t think you are mad. But that''s because I''m not far behind you. Hmmm, maybe you and I can get a bulk discount on the scopes ;-)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
snap some shots with it and post em :}

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Good ideal! Pictures please!

engageme

Rough_Rock
ok...so i just called Kassoy to inquire about the Inscription Loupe and was told by Ireen at ext.240 that they don''t know the exact magnification however her best est would be between 20 and 30x mag.

does anyone actually own one of these? I am about to get my GF''s E-Ring resized and it would make it very easy for me to determin if I will be getting the correct Diamond back after the work has been completted and doing it at the B&M store.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t get a loupe in time you can have the jeweler put the ring under the microscope and show you the laser inscription.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
x60 magnification of my inscription

ACAx60.jpg

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
x200 magnification of the inscription. Needs a cleaning :)

ACAx200.jpg

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
x10 magnification of ring

Alice1.jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
It''s a little late, but Todd07 thanks for the pictures!
emwink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results