shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m getting a new Canon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom wanted to get me something for my birthday and stuff for the baby, but I foiled her plans by not finding out the sex. I had been meaning to get a camera for awhile and decided to bite the bullet, and today my mom asked if she could buy it for me. Very sweet of her...I have the best mom ever.

I know some of you may be looking into digital cameras and while there are threads on PS about the canon, models change so I thought I''d add another more current one.

So...I got the Canon SD850 IS!
36.gif

There are some very reasonable prices out there right now at online etailers. I was debating between the SD850IS and the SD800IS which is slightly cheaper. The main differences I found is that the 800 has a wider lens and the 850 has better macro (it''s almost the same camera as the very popular SD700IS). I hemmed and hawed and decided on the 850 because...

1) the camera will mostly be used to take wacky and embarrassing pictures of TTot used for blackmail later on in life, and
2) Macro. Diamonds. Pricescope. Duh.

I do think the macro for the 800IS seems great...did a search for the camera on here and SuzyQZ''s pics with hers are to DIE for...just gorgeous! But I think overall the 850 is for me...cheaper at costco online than the 800 (which was kind of strange), plus it has a 2gb sd card. Plus I like Costco''s return policy even though it''s only limited to 90 days now.

I did the usual research, but thought some of you might find this site interesting...it''s a comparison between the 800 and 700 (which is again similar to the 850). He actually posts some cool comparison photos so you can see what the wide angle difference is. Since I have my other camera for travels, I''m not too concerned.

I''m so excited to get this camera! Then I can use it to take pics of the bezel studs which I will get in two more days!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHEE. this is totally my next camera. when i can justify ummm getting a new one since i just bought the 550 a year and a half ago. darn!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
How exciting! I have a Canon SD600 and love it. Can''t wait to see all your new pictures!
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 7:51:19 PM
Author: Mara
WHEE. this is totally my next camera. when i can justify ummm getting a new one since i just bought the 550 a year and a half ago. darn!

My camera (another canon) is only 2.5 years old, but I figure TTot is justification enough. The 850 will be cheaper still in the spring, I think, but if you like it, you should pick it up before it''s discontinued...there are a few new models out already, and those don''t have optical viewfinders. Not sure how important that is to you.

But yes, I looked at some macro photos that some PSers took, and that was really testimony enough!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I look forward to your opinion on this camera after you receive it and use it for a little while! I am sure that Ttot will make lovely subject for you to photograph!
10.gif

I need to buy a new one too, and I think I will wait until closer to my birthday (spring) to decide what I want.

nessvan12

Shiny_Rock
Canon's are the best! I have the SD1000 and it is incredible! The macro is especially awesome and it has this really cool feature where it will isolate 1 color in the shot and make everything else B&W. Great cameras! Will be looking forward to those earring pics!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 8:20:51 PM
Author: hlmr
I look forward to your opinion on this camera after you receive it and use it for a little while! I am sure that Ttot will make lovely subject for you to photograph!
10.gif

I need to buy a new one too, and I think I will wait until closer to my birthday (spring) to decide what I want.
hlmr....my little chickadee! I have this camera already (the 850), and it''s the bomb. It was a follow-up to the SD 700 (which I had previously until I SMASHED it during a totally less-than-graceful swan dive off a high school bleacher stair
14.gif
).

It takes fabulous pics, macros are unbelieveably crisp and good. It also does the single color isolation thing nessvan mentioned, and......

it also does in-camera red-eye correction. Big bonus for family shots!

HIGHLY recommend it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 8:45:04 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 11/28/2007 8:20:51 PM
Author: hlmr
10.gif

hlmr....my little chickadee! I have this camera already (the 850), and it''s the bomb. It was a follow-up to the SD 700 (which I had previously until I SMASHED it during a totally less-than-graceful swan dive off a high school bleacher stair
14.gif
).

It takes fabulous pics, macros are unbelieveably crisp and good. It also does the single color isolation thing nessvan mentioned, and......

it also does in-camera red-eye correction. Big bonus for family shots!

HIGHLY recommend it.
Hey alj, I gotta thank you for your past informative posts on the canon cameras. How do you like this new version compared to the 700? If I could have found the 700, I would have gotten it...it was wildly popular and some say even better than the 850 in some aspects.

And eek...I hope you have no permanent scars from the swan dive. That is SO something I would do.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the wonderful Canon endorsement Al!! I remembered you were happy with your camera, but it didn''t register until I read your post, that you had this very camera!!! Perhaps I won''t wait for spring, and Santa will think of me when he and the elves are constructing the electronics.

I did after all leave milk and cookies (I mean cookie, only one cookie - shhh that''s what Mara thinks) for him.
2.gif

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Alj turned me onto this camera and I have to say it is nothing short of AMAZING!!
The macro pics are to die for. So crisp and detailed. I''m sure Alj will teach you her tricks about how to use it as well she is a really good photographer and knows this camera well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh miss heather i am SO onto you!!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Shhhhhhhhhhh - Heather. It''s ok.

I won''t tell Mara the extra cookie is really FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
31.gif
31.gif
11.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 8:54:21 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Hey alj, I gotta thank you for your past informative posts on the canon cameras. How do you like this new version compared to the 700? If I could have found the 700, I would have gotten it...it was wildly popular and some say even better than the 850 in some aspects.

And eek...I hope you have no permanent scars from the swan dive. That is SO something I would do.
TG, it''s my pleasure TOTALLY. In fact, if I run down to the garage and pull the camera, I can probably post a pic I just took with it recently that''d blow your socks off - LOL.

I was a RABID fan of the 700, and to be honest, I really wanted to replace that exact camera. However, it was nearly impossible to come by, so I went with this one.

The 850 does have a few improvements that I enjoy; one is in-camera red-eye correction. It also does a few cool things like color accent, etc., and it does have a slightly higher ISO range (which isn''t useful at the top end). One thing that annoyed me was the camera''s ''intuitive'' thing when you put your finger on the quad wheel to do a graphic on the LCD screen. Annoyed the crap out of me, so i turned that feature off in the set-up menu.

One thing to keep in mind with ALL the consumer friendly point-and-shoots: they are meant to produce 4.5 x 6 pictures, and most photo labs print in 4 x 6. So, if you actually shoot well and tighten composition, you might end up cutting stuff off during printing. It''s a good idea to get in the habit of composing your pictures to have a little ''margin'' around them so you don''t run into trouble with it.

It takes MADLY great pictures, though, and I''m sure you''ll be thrilled. Can''t wait to see the results!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good to know about the margin. I tend to compose using the entire space, so I'll keep that in mind. I think I did notice that when I printed some of my stuff out myself with my current Canon.

I'll do some experimenting next week and post pics of all sorts of things...including my new earrings.
1.gif

ETA, for those of you who care considering this camera, here is a quick reference webpage with pro reviews.

http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/canon-powershot-sd850-is/

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 12:53:05 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Good to know about the margin. I tend to compose using the entire space, so I''ll keep that in mind. I think I did notice that when I printed some of my stuff out myself with my current Canon.

I''ll do some experimenting next week and post pics of all sorts of things...including my new earrings.
1.gif
Yeah, I compose very tight too, so I was quite pissed when I recently printed out photos I shot at a wedding and realized I was losing some of the detail! ugh.

Here''s an idea of the SD850 macro capability......it picked up the girdle inscription on the stone! LOL. (Granted, the stone is a 5ct honker, but STILL!)

Can''t WAIT to see pics of your earrings!

canonsd850macroinscription.JPG

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Now, a disclaimer: it''s really hard to take a BAD photo of a 5-ct STUNNER, but that said......this is an idea of what this camera (and a drop-dead beautiful stone) can do!
2.gif

All_the_colors_of_the_rainbow.JPG

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Ooooooo, yeah, new camera! There is nothing more fun to get (except an upgrade). And you''ll have it in time for the holidays!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results