shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m freaking out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
With the proposal coming within the next 3 weeks (give or take a couple days), I am freaking out! What if he gets cold feet and doesn''t do it? I''ve told him several times that this was it... it would be the end of us if he didn''t "get the show on the road" and propose already. He knows what''s at stake here... but why can''t I shake this feeling that it''s just not going to happen? Is it b/c he''s pushed it back so many times that I''ve just used to the let down? Ahh. I want to believe him so bad that this is it, he''s finally going to do it... but my head just keeps telling me to prepare for disappointment.

I know WHAT I am going to do, as in physically, if it doesn''t happen. I already have an exit plan. After 6 1/2 years, and all the pushing back of the engagement, I have prepared myself in that way. But mentally/emotionally? I''ve not a clue! I will be heartbroken. I love this man SO MUCH! But I know in the end I have to do what is right for me.

I know I am jumping the gun here, maybe he will surprise me and finally do it. There is a good possibility of that but I just don''t want to let down again. Ladies, please talk some sense into me. Help me get over this fear before it just ruins this whole experience all together.

Ahh.
38.gif
33.gif

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
First step, BREATHE girl!

Then try to relax and enjoy this time.. I know you''re freaking out thinking "what if..." but you can''t stay like this for three weeks! You will drive yourself crazy. You have a plan in place, so you know what to do if things don''t go as planned. But what if they do go as planned and he proproses? You would have wasted three weeks making yourself sick over all of this. It sounds like you''ve spent a lot of time really worried about it already. Don''t let him and the big question get to you right now.. This might cause you to resent him later.. All the waiting and waiting.. Go get your nails done, buy yourself some new shoes, go for a run, do whatever you need to do to get this off of your mind.

Good luck to you! You sound like a smart girl and you know what''s best for you!
36.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok I just responded to your post and realized that everything I said was useless, so I deleted it.

I don''t have advice, because well... it''s a huge life change that''s about to happen. You''re either getting engaged, or moving on with your life. I don''t see how you couldn''t be freaking out. I would be too.

Just try to stay positive as best you can. Have faith in your BF that he''ll pull through for you. If he doesn''t, have faith in yourself that you''ll get through it.

((((HUGS))))

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
+1 on everything Elle said. No matter what, though, it should be an exciting new chapter of your life. :)

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 8:39:08 AM
Author: suchende
+1 on everything Elle said. No matter what, though, it should be an exciting new chapter of your life. :)

make that +2.
(((hugs)))

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
inhisarms- Ok, I am going to ask a question, and please dont hate me
2.gif

But do you think the reason you are freaking out, is because you gave him an ultimatum, and maybe you feel he doesnt really want to get engaged? I dont know, the whole "deadline" thing is a very touchy subject, because on one end, you shouldnt have to wait around, and should be with a man who wants to marry you, and if he doesnt want to, then stop wasting time. That part I get. But then on the other end, now you dont know if he is just doing it now because he had to, or doesnt want you to leave so hes doing it so you stay....or if its because he really and truly wants to marry you. You know?

Now I am sure he wants to marry you, and like most guys was just being lazy or didnt see a need to do it right then, so this is his incentive to get off his @$$ and get the ball rolling. I just think the fact that its a deadline given by you, in which you will leave if he doesnt do it, thats why your nervous, because there is a possibility he might not do it, and you fear he doesnt want to?

Either way, ditto what everyone else said. That this is a huge moment in your life (either way). If he proposes, than you know he loves you, wants to marry you, and you'll be engaged! And if he doesnt, then you have the information you need to move on and start a new chapter in your life. I commend you for thinking this through and having a plan B, and sticking to your guns if he doesnt do it. Not many girls have that strength. Good luck!!!
1.gif

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 8:33:18 AM
Author: sparklyheart
First step, BREATHE girl!

Then try to relax and enjoy this time.. I know you''re freaking out thinking ''what if...'' but you can''t stay like this for three weeks! You will drive yourself crazy. You have a plan in place, so you know what to do if things don''t go as planned. But what if they do go as planned and he proproses? You would have wasted three weeks making yourself sick over all of this. It sounds like you''ve spent a lot of time really worried about it already. Don''t let him and the big question get to you right now.. This might cause you to resent him later.. All the waiting and waiting.. Go get your nails done, buy yourself some new shoes, go for a run, do whatever you need to do to get this off of your mind.

Good luck to you! You sound like a smart girl and you know what''s best for you!
36.gif
I know I have to relax.... ugh. I have worried about it all along, ever since the deadline was given... but it actually didn''t HIT me until just last night there is a possibility that he won''t do it. My mind always has a way of getting carried away with itself and thinking the worst.... it''s something I HATE about myself...

He assures me that there will be no cold feet, that it''s really happening... so I need to just have faith in him.

Thanks for your kind words... you''re right, I need to just BREATHE!

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 8:35:32 AM
Author: elledizzy5
Ok I just responded to your post and realized that everything I said was useless, so I deleted it.

I don''t have advice, because well... it''s a huge life change that''s about to happen. You''re either getting engaged, or moving on with your life. I don''t see how you couldn''t be freaking out. I would be too.

Just try to stay positive as best you can. Have faith in your BF that he''ll pull through for you. If he doesn''t, have faith in yourself that you''ll get through it.

((((HUGS))))
Yes, I have to have faith in him... and I have to have faith in myself that I''ll get through it if it doesn''t go as planned.

I''m glad that you said you''d be freaking out too, at least I am not alone in that. Thanks so much!

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 8:54:58 AM
Author: jcarlylew

Date: 5/8/2009 8:39:08 AM
Author: suchende

make that +2.
(((hugs)))
Thanks ladies! I truly appreciate it!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
It''s been 6.5 years, another few weeks is nothing!

If you freak out for three more weeks and he does propose, you''ll kick yourself in the butt for not being able to relax and enjoy this time.

If you freak out for three mor weeks and he doesn''t propose, it''s not going to make you any more prepared or make leaving any easier.

He''s told you that he''s not backing out and that it will happen, so bringing it up is only going to temporarily ease your mind (for maybe an hour or two?) and just make the next few weeks more tense than they need to be. You''ve decided to trust him enough to give him another chance, so stick to your word and give him that chance! I can''t wait to hear how the proposal goes!

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 10:04:27 AM
Author: NakedFinger
2.gif

But do you think the reason you are freaking out, is because you gave him an ultimatum, and maybe you feel he doesnt really want to get engaged? I dont know, the whole 'deadline' thing is a very touchy subject, because on one end, you shouldnt have to wait around, and should be with a man who wants to marry you, and if he doesnt want to, then stop wasting time. That part I get. But then on the other end, now you dont know if he is just doing it now because he had to, or doesnt want you to leave so hes doing it so you stay....or if its because he really and truly wants to marry you. You know?

Now I am sure he wants to marry you, and like most guys was just being lazy or didnt see a need to do it right then, so this is his incentive to get off his @$$ and get the ball rolling. I just think the fact that its a deadline given by you, in which you will leave if he doesnt do it, thats why your nervous, because there is a possibility he might not do it, and you fear he doesnt want to?

Either way, ditto what everyone else said. That this is a huge moment in your life (either way). If he proposes, than you know he loves you, wants to marry you, and you'll be engaged! And if he doesnt, then you have the information you need to move on and start a new chapter in your life. I commend you for thinking this through and having a plan B, and sticking to your guns if he doesnt do it. Not many girls have that strength. Good luck!!!
1.gif

I don't hate you, so don't ever think that!
1.gif

BF was the one who gave the deadline. He gave the first one too, which was by the end of April. He pushed it back to June 9th (the lastest) b/c we had booked a cruise and he really wanted to wait until then. He said he felt it would be much more romantic/intimate that way.

When he first suggested waiting until the cruise, the FIRST thought that came to my mind was that he only wanted to "wait" until then b/c of the pure fact that it was FURTHER AWAY. I felt he was pushing it back on purpose... to buy more time. He assured me no, that was not the case. He said he would have never set the first deadline if he weren't ready to ask. I had told him that June 9th was it then. That if he hadn't asked by then that it was the end of us. I said I couldn't wait any longer. He said he understood. So I let it go from there.

The thought of him not being truly ready has crossed my mind. Me, I've been ready for the past 2 years. So maybe I've been eager and pressured him a bit and he's only planning to ask b/c I want to be engaged. Maybe. It very well could be the case. But he always insists that regardless of the little pressure I have put on him, he would have been ready to do it by now anyway. But do I think that he's not ready and is only doing it to appease me? Sometimes. But I would hope that he's man enough to stick up for his own wants/needs and own up to not wanting to get engaged yet, IF that is the case.

In the end, I guess it just comes down to waiting. We'll see what happens soon enough. I just hope that he's sincere in his plan and wants to get engaged.

Sorry if some of that didn't make sense... I'm at work and have so much other stuff going on. Feel free to ask if you need any clarification.

1.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I think NewEnglandLady is my fiance in disguise... that would totally be his advice. And sound advice it is!

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 10:32:03 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
It''s been 6.5 years, another few weeks is nothing!

If you freak out for three more weeks and he does propose, you''ll kick yourself in the butt for not being able to relax and enjoy this time.

If you freak out for three mor weeks and he doesn''t propose, it''s not going to make you any more prepared or make leaving any easier.

He''s told you that he''s not backing out and that it will happen, so bringing it up is only going to temporarily ease your mind (for maybe an hour or two?) and just make the next few weeks more tense than they need to be. You''ve decided to trust him enough to give him another chance, so stick to your word and give him that chance! I can''t wait to hear how the proposal goes!
You''re right. I need to RELAX and not let this little negative thoughts creep into my head. I should enjoy this time. After all, it may be my last 3 weeks of being a girlfriend. Wow, that sounds so weird and so exciting!

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 10:36:53 AM
Author: inhisarms17

2.gif

But do you think the reason you are freaking out, is because you gave him an ultimatum, and maybe you feel he doesnt really want to get engaged? I dont know, the whole 'deadline' thing is a very touchy subject, because on one end, you shouldnt have to wait around, and should be with a man who wants to marry you, and if he doesnt want to, then stop wasting time. That part I get. But then on the other end, now you dont know if he is just doing it now because he had to, or doesnt want you to leave so hes doing it so you stay....or if its because he really and truly wants to marry you. You know?

1.gif

I don't hate you, so don't ever think that!
1.gif

BF was the one who gave the deadline. He gave the first one too, which was by the end of April. He pushed it back to June 9th (the lastest) b/c we had booked a cruise and he really wanted to wait until then. He said he felt it would be much more romantic/intimate that way.

When he first suggested waiting until the cruise, the FIRST thought that came to my mind was that he only wanted to 'wait' until then b/c of the pure fact that it was FURTHER AWAY. I felt he was pushing it back on purpose... to buy more time. He assured me no, that was not the case. He said he would have never set the first deadline if he weren't ready to ask. I had told him that June 9th was it. That if he hadn't asked by then that it was the end of us. I said I couldn't wait any longer. He said he understood. So I let it go from there.

The thought of him not being truly ready has crossed my mind. Me, I've been ready for the past 2 years. So maybe I've been eager and pressured him a bit and he's only planning to ask b/c <b> I</b> want to be engaged. Maybe. It very well could be the case. But he always insists that regardless of the little pressure I have put on him, he would have been ready to do it by now anyway. But do I think that he's not ready and is only doing it to appease me? Sometimes. But I would hope that he's man enough to stick up for his own wants/needs and own up to not wanting to get engaged yet, IF that is the case.

In the end, I guess it just comes down to waiting. We'll see what happens soon enough. I just hope that he's sincere in his plan and want to get engaged.

Sorry if some of that didn't make sense... I'm at work and have so much other stuff going on. Feel free to ask if you need any clarification.

1.gif

Ahhhhh shame on me for not remembering your back story! Whoops, lol
5.gif
Sorry.

Makes sense now.....you've been waiting, and he gave you this timeframe (that got edited a few times), so its totally natural for you to feel a little uneasy, and hope he doesnt revise it again (which is sounds like, if he does try to push it back, you wont accept that).

From the sound of it though, he does have just cause for pushing it to this date, as I am sure he couldnt pass up the opportunity to do it in such a romantic situation (just make sure you dont let him do it near the railing...we dont need that bling going over the side of the ship! haha)

I feel your pain though....my ring has been sitting in our house (the house we share, the house I am in EVERY DAY) for the last 4 weeks, and the knowledge of being "so close but so far away" is killing me as well.

I hope everything works outs, and you have a fabulous proposal story! In the meantime, lets talk about something...ANYTHING to get our minds off our proposals!! AHHHHH
14.gif

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 10:46:40 AM

Date: 5/8/2009 10:36:53 AM
Author: inhisarms17

2.gif

But do you think the reason you are freaking out, is because you gave him an ultimatum, and maybe you feel he doesnt really want to get engaged? I dont know, the whole ''deadline'' thing is a very touchy subject, because on one end, you shouldnt have to wait around, and should be with a man who wants to marry you, and if he doesnt want to, then stop wasting time. That part I get. But then on the other end, now you dont know if he is just doing it now because he had to, or doesnt want you to leave so hes doing it so you stay....or if its because he really and truly wants to marry you. You know?

Either way, ditto what everyone else said. That this is a huge moment in your life (either way). If he proposes, than you know he loves you, wants to marry you, and you''ll be engaged! And if he doesnt, then you have the information you need to move on and start a new chapter in your life. I commend you for thinking this through and having a plan B, and sticking to your guns if he doesnt do it. Not many girls have that strength. Good luck!!!
1.gif

I don''t hate you, so don''t ever think that!
1.gif

When he first suggested waiting until the cruise, the FIRST thought that came to my mind was that he only wanted to ''wait'' until then b/c of the pure fact that it was FURTHER AWAY. I felt he was pushing it back on purpose... to buy more time. He assured me no, that was not the case. He said he would have never set the first deadline if he weren''t ready to ask. I had told him that June 9th was it. That if he hadn''t asked by then that it was the end of us. I said I couldn''t wait any longer. He said he understood. So I let it go from there.

The thought of him not being truly ready has crossed my mind. Me, I''ve been ready for the past 2 years. So maybe I''ve been eager and pressured him a bit and he''s only planning to ask b/c <b> I</b> want to be engaged. Maybe. It very well could be the case. But he always insists that regardless of the little pressure I have put on him, he would have been ready to do it by now anyway. But do I think that he''s not ready and is only doing it to appease me? Sometimes. But I would hope that he''s man enough to stick up for his own wants/needs and own up to not wanting to get engaged yet, IF that is the case.

In the end, I guess it just comes down to waiting. We''ll see what happens soon enough. I just hope that he''s sincere in his plan and want to get engaged.

Sorry if some of that didn''t make sense... I''m at work and have so much other stuff going on. Feel free to ask if you need any clarification.

1.gif

Ahhhhh shame on me for not remembering your back story! Whoops, lol
5.gif
Sorry.

Makes sense now.....you''ve been waiting, and he gave you this timeframe (that got edited a few times), so its totally natural for you to feel a little uneasy, and hope he doesnt revise it again (which is sounds like, if he does try to push it back, you wont accept that).

From the sound of it though, he does have just cause for pushing it to this date, as I am sure he couldnt pass up the opportunity to do it in such a romantic situation (just make sure you dont let him do it near the railing...we dont need that bling going over the side of the ship! haha)

I feel your pain though....my ring has been sitting in our house (the house we share, the house I am in EVERY DAY) for the last 4 weeks, and the knowledge of being ''so close but so far away'' is killing me as well.

I hope everything works outs, and you have a fabulous proposal story! In the meantime, lets talk about something...ANYTHING to get our minds off our proposals!! AHHHHH
14.gif
Ahh, I would be going crazy if I were you! We''re not doing an engagement ring right now so i don''t have to worry about one being in the house. (Unless he''s really surprising me! lol)

Ugh, how do us women stay sane??

So... what to talk about... where are you from? I probably know, but I''m drawing a blank right now... too much on the mind! haha...

I''m from New York.
9.gif
That''s the state, not the city. BUT, I only live about an hour or so from NYC.
9.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Oh thats good! Then at least he will really be able to surprise you because you wont be looking for a bulge in his pockets! So you'll really have no idea at what point in the cruise he'll do it.

If it we're my bf, he'd probably wait until the last day of the cruise just to screw with me! Haha Men!
38.gif

How funny! I work in the city and I'm from NJ (live about 35-40 mins from the city!)

Bdiddy26

Rough_Rock
Ahhhh I''m kind of in a similar situation, except I set the deadline and he has 7 weeks. I feel the same way! I can''t get it off my mind! But I just started a fitness boot camp and diet plan so that is taking my mind off of things a lot. I would say just have faith, take it one day at a time and start getting ready for your trip! Go shopping that''s alway fun! Just remember to BREATH everything will be fine!
9.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Just try and stay calm and know that he loves you. If he''s ready, he will do it!

Sunset_in_Cali

Rough_Rock
Hi inhisarms, I am sort of in the same boat. My bf and I are going on a trip to the Virgin Islands in two weeks, and that''s where is he going to propose. I know this because he told me. We''ve been together for 3 years and 3 months (not nearly as long as you guys!), but if he doesn''t propose on this trip, then I don''t think I can stay in this relationship that much longer. This trip has already been postponed twice, but he really wants to do it in VI, and nowhere else. So I wait.

Now that the trip is finally around the corner, I''m very excited. I do realise that there is a chance that it won''t happen. After all, there are no guarantees in life. I know that he started ring shopping only very recently, so he''s cutting it kinda close. So sometimes I worry that he won''t get the ring in time before the trip, and ends up not proposing. But I have not brought up the subject of rings, engagement, etc, at all (unless he brings it up), and I''ve decided to let him do his own thing.

Now if he ends up not proposing, then that''s a bridge I''ll cross when (if) I get to it. But until then, I''m not going to worry about it much. What is going to happen, is going to happen. It''s out of my hands, so what use is worrying?

My advice to you is to look forward to your cruise, proposal or not. But from what you wrote, it sounds very promising that it will happen.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 12:41:10 PM
Author: Sunset_in_Cali
Hi inhisarms, I am sort of in the same boat. My bf and I are going on a trip to the Virgin Islands in two weeks, and that''s where is he going to propose. I know this because he told me. We''ve been together for 3 years and 3 months (not nearly as long as you guys!), but if he doesn''t propose on this trip, then I don''t think I can stay in this relationship that much longer. This trip has already been postponed twice, but he really wants to do it in VI, and nowhere else. So I wait.

Now that the trip is finally around the corner, I''m very excited. I do realise that there is a chance that it won''t happen. After all, there are no guarantees in life. I know that he started ring shopping only very recently, so he''s cutting it kinda close. So sometimes I worry that he won''t get the ring in time before the trip, and ends up not proposing. But I have not brought up the subject of rings, engagement, etc, at all (unless he brings it up), and I''ve decided to let him do his own thing.

Now if he ends up not proposing, then that''s a bridge I''ll cross when (if) I get to it. But until then, I''m not going to worry about it much. What is going to happen, is going to happen. It''s out of my hands, so what use is worrying?

My advice to you is to look forward to your cruise, proposal or not. But from what you wrote, it sounds very promising that it will happen.

not to thread jack, but we''re going to the islands too! come over to May small talk :) i posted a picture of the BVI there
9.gif

end thread jack!

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
You know...I think in a few short weeks you''ll be posting your very happy story on this forum!
36.gif

It will be even better when it happens, because it seems as if you still are just not 100% convinced it will!!

FWIW, I woudl feel ths same way.
19.gif

Sunshinegirl77

Rough_Rock
As for the waiting, I have a good idea where you are comming from. I am in a similar situation of "no ring, no more relationship". I too am scared out of my mind that he is going to back out somehow and it is eating me alive. On top of that, he is 800 miles away. I am going to see him may 14th through the 17th. Last time I saw him he said " we will do something special next time I come up". Then asked a question about dueling piano bars, as he knows these are my fave nightlife place to go (very out of his comfort zone). My guess is that saturday night the 16th will be the date, thinking friday will be out because he will be tired from work and his mother is going to be there at the same time. She is traveling with me (god give me strentgh) on a 13 hour drive one way. Keep us posted and try to hang in there. I know it is easier said than done. We are in this boat together, as i have told him it is either this or over.

if you need me I am here for you.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 11:39:15 AM
Oh thats good! Then at least he will really be able to surprise you because you wont be looking for a bulge in his pockets! So you''ll really have no idea at what point in the cruise he''ll do it.

If it we''re my bf, he''d probably wait until the last day of the cruise just to screw with me! Haha Men!
38.gif

How funny! I work in the city and I''m from NJ (live about 35-40 mins from the city!)

Yeah, when he first told me he wanted to wait until the cruise, I made him PROMISE that it would not be the end of the cruise! haha. I want to have time to really celebrate and enjoy it! And plus, that''s just mean! So, he better not!

Oh, so we''re not that far away from one another. That''s cool! I used to travel to Jersey all the time b/c they have a Christmas Tree Shoppe... but we just got one in January so I haven''t been in a while. Also, we go there for the IKEA too... need a trip there soon! hehe.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 12:41:10 PM
Author: Sunset_in_Cali

Well, I definitely hope you don''t have to cross that bridge! I''m sure he will propose and it will be beautiful! Especially in the Virgin Islands! We went to Tortola as one of the ports on our last cruise and it was beautiful! I hope you get the proposal of your dreams!

You''re very right in not worrying. What happens is well, what happens. I should just relax and enjoy the cruise.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Bdiddy26 - Wow, fitness boot camp! That's awesome!! Hopefully that keeps your mind off of it and helps the time fly by!
Dreamgirl - I am trying very hard to stay calm! I just can't wait! haha.
Pushin40 - Thanks! As least I know I am not alone in how I feel. I hope I am back here in a few weeks, posting my amazing proposal story!
Sunshinegirl77 - I am here for ya girl! And long distance, I don't know if I could ever even handle that so I commend you for having the strength to do that. Good luck with the drive w/ the FMIL, I know how they can be! (FF's mom drives me nuts! But I love her to death!
9.gif
) Good luck and it sounds as though your man has something very special planned! How exciting! Keep us posted!!

And likewise, I am here for you if you need me! I am always willing to give any help or advice that I can!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results