shape
carat
color
clarity

im down to 3 stones...i think??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
My vote is definately for #1 (see my post on your other thread)
(I REALLY like the G, SI1 combo that this has - I think that it is a nice choice considering what you have said that you want)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 gets my vote. I saw your other thread too. This combo looks like it fits the bill perfectly. I''d call and ask if it''s eye clean just to be sure.
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 has potential, but it is a virtual stone and we don''t have any real good information on it.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
thanks for all ur input...im leaning towards #1 as well.

belle, how is it a virtual stone and what do u mean u dont have enough info? isnt all the specs listed?

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 10:20:22 PM
Author: freddy2005

belle, how is it a virtual stone and what do u mean u dont have enough info? isnt all the specs listed?
Virtual stone means that James Allen does not have that specific stone in stock (they can usually get it in about a day or two)

It does not have the crown and pavilion angles listed (which are very important in telling if the stone is an ideal cut - right now, we are just going on the fact that it says "ideal")

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 10:20:22 PM
Author: freddy2005

i think only their ''signature series'' stones are in house.
no, that''s not all the info. you can''t tell enough about the diamond by only the table/depth. at least gia has now realized that and are adding other information to their reports to determine cut grade.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
My choice would also be #1 after getting the rest of the info.
Good luck!

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
#2 and #3 are out imed and 1 looks ok but you don't have all the data yet to be sure if it is cut well. Get that and an IS and put em up.

You can also-"3rd times a charm"-Search using good cut parameters here on ps and read the tutorial here so you know what we are talking about. Limiting yourself to one vender is silly as you have certain needs u want met.

Your budget is fine you can get a well cut stone in a big size or a not so well cut stone it is up to you.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
reason why im limiting myself to just JamesAllen.com because the vendor is 1 1/2hr drive away from where i reside. i have an appointment with him this monday afternoon to see some stones i posted in previous post, however it''s not ones mentioned on here, certainly not #1.

i''ve emailed him about all 3 mentioned on here and hopefully will get a response by monday morning. i will certainly ask him for #1 crown and pav angles and ask for all the scopes images ( i have tried to post a scope image here before, but appears to received an error message....doesn''t pricescope have attachment limitations?)

once again, many thanks to everyone''s feedback and expertise.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
I agree that you might have a better chance of finding exactly what you want by looking at all of the good vendors but I totally understand wanting to deal with JA because they are close and you will be able to see everything first.

They have a great reputation and should be able to get you something that you will be very happy with.

Make sure that when you are there tomorrow you compare on of the "premium cut" diamonds that you are considering next to one of their "signature series" cuts so that you can see for yourself how much of a difference an ideal cut makes. All of us here on PS are cut snobs and most will not settle for anything less than super ideal, but to many others, premium cuts look great.

If you are not sure about a stone - DO NOT BUY - come back here and we will help you find something perfect.
(I did a quick cut quality search and it looks like Whiteflash has several stones that you might love - but we can talk about that if you do not find what you are looking for with James Allen)

Good luck tomorrow

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
gonzodog, thanks very much for ur expertise and insight.

is the pav. and crown angle extremely important? is that how u tell if the cut is ideal or not?

please give me the links to the stones u are referring to at whiteflash..thanks

jldunn

Rough_Rock
Freddy,

If you go to the Tools->Cut Adviser menu on the top of this page it''ll take you to the Holloway Cut Adviser. This is a tool where you can put in the dimension info on a diamond (pavillion angles and the like) and get an indication of how well it is cut.

As far as James Allen being close, is it in the same state? If it''s in the same state you have to pay sales tax, which can add a lot to the price. If you want to see a stone and skip sales tax I know whiteflash and some other retailers will send a stone to a local jeweler for you to examine it (for the cost of shipping).

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
jer, the stone im interested is a virtual stone from jamesallen.com site, however the crown and pav. specs are not listed.

fortunately, im 1 1/2hrs away from their location in VA..so, no sales tax for me

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!
1.gif

luckystar

Rough_Rock
Good luck tommorrow.

For the record you are suppossed to report the diamond on your taxes and pay accordingly. That is the law. Not saying we all follow it but.....

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Sales Tax

I believe that would only apply if the diamond is shipped to you to an out of state location.

If you take possession of it in his office, sales tax would most likely need to be collected.

Rockdoc

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
for the record, i do not intend to hand carry the item home...if the stone and the setting is the one which i will buy, i will purchase via phone once i get home in my state which is VA..the location is in MD, thus no tax fraud here. thanks

luckystar

Rough_Rock
Are you NOT getting this? It is not Fraud if you report it on your 2006 taxes. It is if you do not. I have been audited. It is not fun.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t kick the 1.20 G/SI out of bed.
2.gif
I like the strong blue, size & the proportions could be very nice.

Good luck.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
i've met jim and he's great...very good guy, knowledgable..he explained everything in detailed...very educational experience. i got to see a few stones using a 10x loupe...using a hearts & arrow viewer. i was there practically 1 1/2hr.

i didnt get to see this because not in stock. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=796682

but he showed me this stone(he just got it recently) http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=803447

this one is SI2, not eyeclean..small inclusion..but gf didnt really cared...seems like a good price.

he said it was great...almost perfect..he recommended and it was in my price range...it's not GIA, but AGS.

im leaning towards the 2nd one...very strong possibility.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Where is the inclusion located? Could you cover it with a prong?

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
inclusion located on the edge...i believe it can be cover w/ a prong.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results