shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m curious - has anyone here turned their interest in / love of diamonds into a career?...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all -

The more time I spend on Pricescope the more impressed I am with the level of knowledge and input provided here by so many of you. I''ve read through some of the ''who''s who'' bios, and certainly I know that there are many industry professionals who post to Pricescope, however my sense is that the vast majority of you are non-diamond professionals who just, plain and simply, love diamonds.

I''m curious - is there anyone on Pricescope who has turned their love of / obsession with diamonds into a career somehow?

Have a great day!
35.gif

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
I, too, am curious about this. I learned sooo much from everyone on here, and I was telling my friend about it one day, and then looking at some rings I was describing them to her and she looked at me like I had a third eye - then said to me "Why don''t you find out what kind of a career you can have in it?" So, it got my wheels turning. For now, I''ll be a part-time lover of the stones, but it is something I would definitely consider.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
I did.
35.gif

In 2006, I enrolled in International Gem Society (IGS). It was a place to start learning more about gems and diamonds. It was relatively cheap to enroll in. If I decided it wasn''t my thing then I would not have wasted a whole lot of money.
Anyways, I loved it. I have most of all the paraphenalia for a gemologist. Microscope, diamond tester, dicroscope, tweezers, refracotmeter, gems and diamonds (synthetic and natural) etc...
We''ve looked into the GIA program in late ''06 but unfortunately, it wasn''t feasible for me to enroll in it then. I''ve revisited the idea recently and if things work out financially then I will enroll in the GG program this year.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I''m considering the GIA program after my kids are both in elementary school, but haven''t decided if doing that program would be for me as a fun hobby or as a career move. The problem is I''m not sure what I''d want to do after completing the program. I''d love to open my own jewelry store, but wouldn''t want to work for someone else or at a B&M mall store. . . so, I''m a bit unsure at this point!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I worked in the industry for 2 years, then got really ill and had to move back to the UK.

I ended up in a completely different sector by chance.

Now, I am doing my FGA and have a very tiny side business designing jewellery (I got a new commission today!) and helping people produce their e-rings (I work with them on the basic designs and stone choices - then I get PS to help me source the diamonds and go to Wink for coloured stones and manufacture.)

I''m planning on going full-time in about 2 years - my current job is a great way to make good contacts, and the e-rings I have done so far are bringing in quite a lot of word-of-mouth commissions.

I''m not making any $$$ right now, but I''m learning a lot and really having fun spending their money for them!
31.gif

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
This is all really cool. After having gotten ''into'' the diamond research process for the purposes of choosing my e-diamond, I found that I was really ''bitten'' - just wanting to learn more and more and more. I have recently started looking at online courses, specifically that IGS one. CdnBlingGal it sounds like you had a good experience with it. I''m in Canada, too!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 2:13:04 PM
Author: bem3231
This is all really cool. After having gotten 'into' the diamond research process for the purposes of choosing my e-diamond, I found that I was really 'bitten' - just wanting to learn more and more and more. I have recently started looking at online courses, specifically that IGS one. CdnBlingGal it sounds like you had a good experience with it. I'm in Canada, too!
Just out of curiosity, what could you do (career wise) with this IGS certification? I live in Canada, and although there are many jewelry stores around my area (or south of here), it seems quite difficult to find a reputable one, with a talented benchman to set diamonds! I thought to myself( after NOT being able to find anyone to create a new mount, or set my diamond for me) ,"wouldn't it be great to learn how to do it myself"? So...does anyone know where or how I would go about learning that? Diamond setting that is? Maybe I will open my own lil shop, and then be able to change the mounting for my diamond monthly if I wish!! LOL

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 2:38:46 PM
Author: beau13

Date: 1/21/2008 2:13:04 PM
Author: bem3231
This is all really cool. After having gotten ''into'' the diamond research process for the purposes of choosing my e-diamond, I found that I was really ''bitten'' - just wanting to learn more and more and more. I have recently started looking at online courses, specifically that IGS one. CdnBlingGal it sounds like you had a good experience with it. I''m in Canada, too!
Just out of curiosity, what could you do (career wise) with this IGS certification? I live in Canada, and although there are many jewelry stores around my area (or south of here), it seems quite difficult to find a reputable one, with a talented benchman to set diamonds! I thought to myself( after NOT being able to find anyone to create a new mount, or set my diamond for me) ,''wouldn''t it be great to learn how to do it myself''? So...does anyone know where or how I would go about learning that? Diamond setting that is? Maybe I will open my own lil shop, and then be able to change the mounting for my diamond monthly if I wish!! LOL
I would imagine that you would need some type of goldsmith training? I know that Ryerson used to have a goldsmith program - I''m sure there are other ones, too.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
A few folks have before, I think. I want to recall that Reena got into something diamond-related (maybe GIA courses?) after her time here, and of course, Nicrez earned her G.G.

I''ve often thought it would be nice to parlay my passion into something work-related, but I don''t think I''d be a good fit for the chain-store jewelry counters.
11.gif
I can just imagine getting canned within the first two hours for telling someone "look, that stone really isn''t nice."
31.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 3:42:10 PM
Author: aljdewey

I don''t think I''d be a good fit for the chain-store jewelry counters.
11.gif
I can just imagine getting canned within the first two hours for telling someone ''look, that stone really isn''t nice.''
31.gif
Lol, that is why I NEVER want to work with the general public on anything other than commissions where I get to advise them on buying new stones (old heirloom ones are fine - but I hate to see people ripped off).

I dream of having the UK version of Palagems - hey, one can dream. Right?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Cupid did!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m an Art History major and I''ve changed my concentration from European Art to Jewelry. I''ve found a way to combine jewelry and art history.. my two favorite things! I''m hoping to someday work for an auction house or museum.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not me, that would be dangerous! I started my love of all things sparkly at a very young age and I have always been told by my family and friends that I should do something that has to do with bling...it is not a good idea, I am an addict...I would never get a paycheck
2.gif
!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
that would be like asking Dracula to guard the local blood bank...

I would wear my pay and never get to eat...wait, that could be a good thing!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Of course....

Date: 1/21/2008 6:23:50 PM
Author: Rank Amateur
Cupid did!
Rank''s being serious.

But...probably the majority of the professionals here have a story like this to tell...but not so many have been caught while "on board."

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie got a job in a jewelry store.

Deb
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results