shape
carat
color
clarity

i''ll tell you something strange...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, since I ended up working in a field outside my actual degree.....

I''m one of the truly old-fashioned. Granted, I went to school like everyone else, to improve my employment and earning chances, but more than that, I went for "education" and the enrichment of my mind, and the experience of "going to college". Of course the difference is that, unlike more than a few degreed people of my personal acquaintance, I did not STOP learning after I left. I have a dear friend, who has NOT READ A SINGLE BOOK SINCE HE GRADUATED, and he''s 50 years old. He''s just in the last month or so, discovered audio books. I love this friend dearly, but I will never understand the lack of drive to KNOW stuff.
33.gif

I wish now that I had stayed in school and gone further, but I needed to get out and start my life, and in retrospect, I didn''t know enough then to make the best choices as to subject. Now I''m smarter as to what I''d be truly suited for, but too old to justify or recoup the cost and start a new career. My total debt for my entire 5 year college time was only $9800. I weep to think how cheaply I could have gotten a master''s back then.
40.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 11:23:54 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I am too tired to write a dissertation over this but I do have very strong opinions on the subject [I''m way over degreed - I was even an adjunct university professor - and have made my money as an entrepreneur in a field that I never studied - LOL!]. However, I would like to suggest a book which will shed some light on this whole issue: Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. Read it and you will see why one must focus on getting themselves to the B/I quadrants in order to create wealth. Getting good grades so you can get into a good college so you can get a good job is BS that went out with my parent''s generation [I''m 55].

ETA BTW, what you noted is not strange at all once you understand the underlying factors that dictate a particular person''s success.

So Blu, you seem very knowledgeable on this subject. Please tell what it is you do/did that made you your money. I need a new start for health reasons. This master''s degree is great, but it has me working like a dog for an inadequate income to support 2 kids alone.

Please share!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 3:28:26 PM
Author: MC
College education does not automatically equal intelligence or creativity. It''s just like the people on Jeopardy. They know tons of facts, but only proves they are good at memorizing information (much of it being useless!).

MC--As with most things, I think it depends entirely on what a person studies, and how involved they really are with their education. I like to tell people that my BA in English taught me how to think critically and to develop original ideas, which certainly goes beyond facts and memorization.

DFire--I don''t think it''s strange at all. I certainly didn''t pursue my multiple degrees because I thought I would earn more money. I knew I wouldn''t. I went to college and graduate school for purely intellectual reasons, and I entered a profession that is not focused on the generation of revenue because I knew that wouldn''t be personally fulfilling for me.

My DH is highly educated, but he chose to work for himself and he earns far more working for himself than I ever will working for the state. But the bottom line is that we both *love* our work, so the money is just gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results