shape
carat
color
clarity

If YOU Were Doing An Engagement Ring . . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here's question for our CSers: if you were going to do an engagement ring, and you couldn't use a white diamond center, or a blue sapphire center, what would you use? And why?

So. No blue sapphires. No white diamond center.

Bonus points for pics of stones or settings you like, or whatever you want to post a pic of. No nudity.

Remember, it's impossible to threadjack an Ilander thread, because she just doesn't care. :bigsmile:

This is to give ideas to people looking for an engagement ring idea, and to post a bunch of random pretty things.

I would use either this pink diamond ring from Leibish. Can't go wrong with a pink diamond, in my mind. :love:

Or I would go for a green, maybe teal sapphire. I like teal, I like the durability of sapphire, I like the whole thought of a non-blue sapphire. This is a random one from an etsy seller. This one looks a little too tourmaline for me, I'd want a slightly bluer stone, but you get the idea. (don't feel pressured to pick a perfect stone, we're just looking for ideas) So many sapphire colors out there!

So, what do you think?

fancy-light-pink-radiant-diamond-rings-50523.jpg

il_92.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a gal ... this fully natural Fancy Vivid Blue Emerald Cut diamond.
I think it was sold by Harry Winston and was maybe 8 carat IIRC.

Hands down.
Period.
End of story. :bigsmile:

Actually I might wear that sucker myself, as is. :cheeky:
I'd have them center the claw prongs on the facets though.

screen_shot_2013-10-18_at_1.png

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Either something like what Kenny posted (blue diamond asscher, emerald cut, or cushion), or an 4 carat ruby three stone ring (oval or cushion center). I am partial to light colors in step cuts, and dark colors in brilliant cuts. I would limit myself to diamond or corundum if I had a limitless budget because they are durable. I also love medium, vivid cobalt spinels, and a medium-dark red spinels, but these are just a PITA to find.

elogedelart_canalblog_com_rubyhalfmoons.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Some fantasy options:

One of these:
-star alexandrite that changes from perfect bright teal to perfect bright magenta
-star ruby purrrrrrfect red
In one of these:
-some super delicate claw pronged micro-pave encrusted Leon type thing
-some die-struck ornate Single Stone or golden era Van Craeynest type thing in high carat yellow gold with some chunky old cut diamonds
-a MC2 flowery high karat gold then.

A non-star faceted ruby in a yellow gold Georgian/Tudor-looking setting. Think something Anne Boleyn would wear. Probably also with some chunky old cut diamonds.

Perfect pure yellow asscher sapphire in a smooth modern high karat yellow gold bezel setting.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
That paraiba tourmaline ring from Leon Mege.

*sigh*

leonmege.jpg

or I'll take that blue diamond ring that Kenny posted.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol! I don't remember what number ering I topped out at (15? 20?) but I had many...and most were not blue sapphires or diamonds.

So, to me, the sky is the limit. I came to PS wanting a blue topaz in platinum and I ended up with a blue color shifting spinel in unplated white gold, but I have a TON of stand-in engagement rings.

In other words, I have entirely too many ideas in my head. ;( ;( ;( ;(

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Fun thread, iLander! :wavey:

Couldn't decide, so here are 2 I'd accept from just about anyone.

McTeague & McClelland teal sapphire

Side view

Oscar Heyman star ruby

9545_t.jpg

9545_x.jpg

heyman.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1382160873|3540520 said:

It's educational for me to see those pears side by side: fatter pear versus leaner pear. Both have good proportions.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1382185201|3540595 said:
Fun thread, iLander! :wavey:

Couldn't decide, so here are 2 I'd accept from just about anyone.

McTeague & McClelland teal sapphire

Side view

Oscar Heyman star ruby

I love the setting on the sapphire, Laurie! That side view is lovely!

This is fun. I figured we could all use a little mental floss here in CS . . . :)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
10 points for Kenny! You would think Winston would center their prongs . . .

10 points for pregcurious
for posting my dream ring!

10 points for txgreeneyes!
The black gold is pretty cool

20 points for distracts
for posting 2 droolworthy spinels!

20 points for Laurie
for posting 2 amazing beauties

Remember, at the end of the thread you can total up your points! They are worthless, but you can still total them! Woot! :appl: :appl:

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Hi iLander,
Square cut choices – something slightly untraditional and unexpected in some colored stone e-rings.
Ring 1: A Peter light violet to blue sapphire color shifting/changer. I know the rules said no blue sapphires, and this one is beautifully light violet in certain lights, and is my hope it complies with the rules. The blue is reflection of the sky, and the pattern is completely unique. The setting is a diamond scassi harry Winston type, with two e baguettes. The diamonds accent the stone, and play off the faceting pattern. The ring is heavy, and set in platinum, so that any further adjustments should be able to made easily. Plus, there is a matching band that compliments and seals the deal, surrounding the colored stone without taking away from its simple and stunning presence. Designed to be different, yet durable for daily wear, this ring makes me happy, as the prongs are setup to support without distracting. It’s a three stone ring that has presence, yet can be shy around others, hiding and shifting it’s colors to adjust to the mood, lightning, and situation.

Ilander%20Colored%20Erings%201%20001.jpg

Ring 2: A lovely light neon green from Richard Wise that I believe was faceted by Gene. This color never sleeps in any light. This princess stone should make the wearer believe that she is nothing less then royalty, with reflective scintillation from the Memoire setting. The diamonds reflect the beauty of light into the stone, making it even more stunning. The overall design was to capture a delicate balance of color and shine, providing a greenish blue hue that, in some lights, reminisces with Caribbean waters. The princess facets are traditional yet different, with the color holding in an essence that is enduring, simple, and delicate. The setting is once again platinum, only trying to keep the balance of contrasts while allowing the wearer to realize a presence in green.

Ilander%20Colored%20Erings%201%20004.jpg
Ilander%20Colored%20Erings%201%20003.jpg

Ring 3: Light pink kissed with rose gold. Prongs that provide security without overbearing on a modern Asscher twist. Each facet reflects the just enough pink, matching skin hues while standing out just enough. The reflection reveals the love and thoughts put into the design process. This stone and setting is perfect for someone wishing to declare their love in a unassuming yet meticulous manner. While this light pink colored stone is more delicate than a diamond, the rose gold nurtures and protects the stone and ring similar to the dutiful party wishing to express their feelings compassionately to the hopeful recipient.

Ilander%20Colored%20Erings%201%20005.jpg

Ring 4: Originally a bi-colored crystal, this stone and it’s Flanders-esque presence captured something special when trying to decide on what stone and setting to make for an engagement ring– both in looks and feeling. Perfect stone due to color and pattern, and saturated just enough without going overboard. Plus, it’s completely unique, with only one corner left as proof of the original crystal. Looking for something unique and different, this ring is perfectly set into a platinum 1922 Cartier inspired setting for super low wear. Overall, this ring makes me smile, with a stunning simplicity that hides a larger stone with just enough presence. Classic design with a contemporary precision, melding the two worlds together in a harmonic unison.
Ilander%20Colored%20Erings%201%20006.jpg
Ilander%20Colored%20Erings%201%20002.jpg

*Edited because pictures keep uploading giant.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
RTFrog, you can have ALL my points for the neon ring -- almost my dream ring. I'll trade ya! :cheeky: Do you write ad copy for a living by any chance? If not, it's a missed opportunity!

--- Laurie

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like yellow, so if I were doing another ering not using a diamond center, I'd do a chrysoberyl. (luckily I already have a gorgeous one and it fits my ring finger so yay me) I would bezel it in a James Meyer or Caleb Meyer setting or semi bezel it.

Or a big bezeled cushion shape cab. Not yellow tho. Like one of these on the cover of the 07 catalog. http://www.webgoldsmith.com/catalogs.html

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
RTFrog --

What is that neon green stone?

*drool*

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
txgreeneyes|1382151213|3540472 said:
That paraiba tourmaline ring from Leon Mege.

leonmege.jpg

That is g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s. :love:

For me, asscher cut all the way, but if you can't have asscher, go pink and green and gold.

A different green:

_11056.jpg

_11057.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been on quite the chartreuse kick lately after trying to find my SILs ring. I am in love with this. Though I wouldn't kick it out of bed if that chrysoberyl was an alexandrite.

uploadfromtaptalk1382240341903.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382240351490.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
RTFrog|1382203163|3540690 said:
Ring 2: A lovely light neon green from Richard Wise that I believe was faceted by Gene. This color never sleeps in any light. This princess stone should make the wearer believe that she is nothing less then royalty, with reflective scintillation from the Memoire setting. The diamonds reflect the beauty of light into the stone, making it even more stunning. The overall design was to capture a delicate balance of color and shine, providing a greenish blue hue that, in some lights, reminisces with Caribbean waters. The princess facets are traditional yet different, with the color holding in an essence that is enduring, simple, and delicate. The setting is once again platinum, only trying to keep the balance of contrasts while allowing the wearer to realize a presence in green.

Ilander%20Colored%20Erings%201%20004.jpg
Ilander%20Colored%20Erings%201%20003.jpg

I have rarely been as enamored with a tourmaline as I am with the one you posted. It is incredible.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny's green OEC.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw shucks. :oops:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

iLander

Ideal_Rock
RTFtog: 40 picture points for posting 4 rings. Not sure if everyone remembers, this is the poster that made up 7 fabulous engagement rings for his fiance. :) I think he's a video gamer and he wanted his wife to be "Bejeweled". Or else her name is Zelda :lol:

Pretzel: 20 points for pics of wild green diamonds!

Niel: 20 points for fabulous emerald cut stones.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
This is my sister's pink diamond ring from Leibish which is very similar to the first one you posted. Although she wears it on her right hand I think it would be a gorgeous engagement ring!!

_11070.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1382273630|3541079 said:
sphenequeen said:
Kenny's green OEC.
kenny said:
Wait. What? :shock:
Where's that?
How did I miss that?
Please provide link!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

At 0.26 carat it's only large enough to be an e-ring for maybe a Barbie doll. :oops: :lol:

But it is an OEC Fancy Intense Green diamond, VS2 and fully-natural per GIA.
Though tiny, I don't think there are many OECs like it floating around.
As an added bonus is sparkles like crazy, which is probably more rare in an FCD than a pure-Green OEC.

Though posted before and having some dark shadows, this is probably my best pic of it.

This vendor pic probably has the most accurate color and shows the cut pattern better.

kenny_s_green_diamond.jpg

385green.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I *love* Kenny's green OEC! Such the perfect, most delicate shade of green, and the OEC faceting is exquisite. RTFrog I am enjoying your descriptions of your FI's rings...really enjoy hearing the thought process behind those beauties!!! Please keep sharing :appl:

I'm pretty enamored with my zircon ring as an engagement ring...for an ering though I would have liked it to be a sapphire or zircon center for more durability. But I enjoy the proportions and prongs on it quite a bit which I find very surprising as I never liked emerald cut diamonds when I tried them on but whaddya know, I love this little bugger ;))

img_3059.jpg
img_3090.jpg

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
PandaBee: Thank you! I will have to write up a thread eventually.

Kenny: That's absolutely gorgeous. I agree that finding one like that, let alone an OEC... is an extremely rare and beautiful find. And that picture? Wow. Absolutely awe inspiring.

iLander: Thanks for the points. Not a big gamer, but I hope she's always my Princess :saint:

IndyLady: Thank you!

Txgreeneyes: Just a little tourmaline. :D

JF: Nope, haven't ever written ad copy. Anyone hiring? ;)) Photo service included!

The other suggestions are absolutely spectacular in their own right. This is a great thread iLander! Keep the posts coming please.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1382297530|3541211 said:
iLander|1382273630|3541079 said:
sphenequeen said:
Kenny's green OEC.
kenny said:
Wait. What? :shock:
Where's that?
How did I miss that?
Please provide link!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

At 0.26 carat it's only large enough to be an e-ring for maybe a Barbie doll. :oops: :lol:

But it is an OEC Fancy Intense Green diamond, VS2 and fully-natural per GIA.
Though tiny, I don't think there are many OECs like it floating around.
As an added bonus is sparkles like crazy, which is probably more rare in an FCD than a pure-Green OEC.

Though posted before and having some dark shadows, this is probably my best pic of it.

This vendor pic probably has the most accurate color and shows the cut pattern better.

This is a fabulous stone! I missed the thread entirely! :nono: Is it really an antique stone? And I'll take a quarter carat of magnificent over 10 carats of average, any day. :love: :cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Lucky Barbie doll. :cheeky: Spectacular comes in little sizes too! It is exquisite, Kenny.

fel

Shiny_Rock
I'll play.

Since I believe purple goes with everything, and I am partial to stars, possibly I would get this untreated 5.5 carat antique violet (color shifting) star sapphire ring from rubylane, the three graces.

no_heat_star_sapphire.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results