shape
carat
color
clarity

If you kept your pre-marriage name professionally...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
...how did you arrange all the job-related paperwork?

Do you get paychecks to your married or original name? If they are made out to your original name, is it difficult to deposit them?
What about health insurance? Which name does that reflect?
If you sign a document (or state your appearance in court, for the litigators), which name do you use?

I''m having trouble thinking through the logistics of this to see if it''s a viable option for me.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think most people who choose this option usually legally go by their maiden name and just use their married socially.

Or I have one friend who has everything in her married name, but when she publishes she uses her maiden (and has her maiden listed by the department on the website, class lists, etc. as she is a professor) I believe she might have both listed some places...I know it''s confusing for her sometimes.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I took his name. I was so excited to have it that keeping my name never even crossed my mind. I spent a whole day going to the social security building and drivers license center getting my name changed. When I went back to work I took the certificate and asked them to change everything. Some things still come in my maiden name. Things that didn''t seem important enough to change. I keep my old license with my maiden name on it in my wallet in case there are questions.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I hyphenated, but kept my maiden name at work.

I legally changed everything. I got a new SS card and had paychecks made out to that name so it matched come tax time. Likewise, I changed my health insurance card, credit cards and professional licenses so they would match my legal name in case of litigation. My lab coat and office door have my maiden name. I sign charts with my maiden name. The school I am a clinical professor for lists me by my maiden name. I usually introduce myself by my first name as there is no such title as "Nurse Practitioner _____" I've always just had kids call me by my first name so I don't seem as intimidating. If parents ask my last name as I tell them my maiden name. I do sign prescriptions with my married name, as my DEA number is under the married name now.

There has been some confusion at the local hospital, though, because lab slips are occasionally filled out with my married name, so I found I wasn't getting those reports. That was the only glitch I've had - although, it was ridiculous that that was even a glitch. My name is hyphenated, so a search under the first few letters of my last name would still pop up my id, and my lab slips all have my practice's name, address and phone number in bold letters at the top!

Most importantly, I had my maiden name embroidered on the front of my martial arts black belt when I earned it a couple months ago.
9.gif

ETA: I just realized how old the original post is, sorry! I found this forum tonight and have been eagerly reading the few pages of posts without paying attention to day/time.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2009 10:56:33 AM
Author: neatfreak

Or I have one friend who has everything in her married name, but when she publishes she uses her maiden (and has her maiden listed by the department on the website, class lists, etc. as she is a professor) I believe she might have both listed some places...I know it''s confusing for her sometimes.
This is essentially what I''m doing. Everything legal is with my married (legal) name - including paperwork for work, insurance, etc.... everything professional that doesn''t need to be tied to things like bank accounts is maiden. Socially I''m Musey Marriedname, unless it''s work-related social ties, then I''m Musey Maidenname.

It is indeed confusing, and not ideal, but the best way I''ve figured out to accomplish what I want.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 11:41:44 PM
Author: Munchkin
ETA: I just realized how old the original post is, sorry! I found this forum tonight and have been eagerly reading the few pages of posts without paying attention to day/time.
It''s not THAT old... just a couple of weeks
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t change names (it''s not a cultural tradition for me, and I''m just lazy), and I will definitely be going by Dr. Maidenname professionally (I earned it!). But socially I will go by Mrs. MarriedName (I always found it weird to be called Dr. in a social setting anyways.)

So Dr. Maiden at work/professionally, and Mrs. Married at home/friends/PTA etc
No paper work required, yay!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 11:41:44 PM
Author: Munchkin
I hyphenated, but kept my maiden name at work.

I legally changed everything. I got a new SS card and had paychecks made out to that name so it matched come tax time. Likewise, I changed my health insurance card, credit cards and professional licenses so they would match my legal name in case of litigation. My lab coat and office door have my maiden name. I sign charts with my maiden name...

I'm doing exactly the same thing - hyphenated legally, but I want to be known by my maiden name at work. Just legally changed everything this week. I'm currently in residency, so everything has to be done by their rules. I believe I have to sign charts with my full name, for example. I don't get an office door, but my white coat still has my maiden name, and I'm not getting that changed. And I'm going to continue introducing myself as "Dr. MaidenName."

ETA: For professionals in the medical, legal, business, etc. fields, I've always been told you simply can't keep your maiden name if you change it legally. You either have to have 2 last names or a hyphenated name. I'd imagine it's different in careers that are less "regulated" (for lack of a better word). But I think if anything requires a professional license, it probably needs to be in the same name that you go by at work, and that always has to be your legal name, if that makes any sense.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input, ladies!

I legally changed my name to my husband''s, and (I''m a full-time student) registered those changed with the appropriate office -- although I asked them to let me keep my old e-mail address, because I have some repeat professors and others who still know me by my pre-marriage name. It turns out that while official paperwork is in my married name, I''m actually registered for all my classes under my pre-marriage name. This is ideal for me, because even though everyone knows I married over the summer, I find that it takes them awhile to adjust to a new name and to associate that new name with me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results