shape
carat
color
clarity

If you have a nice pink or red spinel.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How long did it take you to find the perfect one? I've been checking out most of the sites regularly and have even contacted a few vendors. I'd like a round or sqaure cushion around 6.5mm but I'm pretty open as far as shape goes. I want a hot pink with a little red.
So far I'm not having much luck.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
IK:

Spinel, hot stone at the Gem Show this year and the prices showed that.

I googled "Burma red spinel" and that gave me a lot to look at/chose from.

I have seen the most beautiful spinel on Pala''s web site too.

If you wanted one of those, get your jeweler to register with Pala in order to ''see'' prices.

Good luck and show us when you get yours!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I will post pics when I finally get one. I love the color of yours BTW it reminds me of some type fruit juice. I'm sure it will look great with diamond side stones.

I'll check the pala site. I tend to stay away since there are no prices and it has to be done through a jeweler.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Are you looking for a Mahenge? I feel pretty lucky to have gotten mine, and I wasn''t even doing an all-out search at the time. Keep asking cutters, and keep looking - sometimes it takes awhile. Sorry, I know that''s exceedingly unhelpful.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think I will probably wind up with a Mahenge. I''m open to a Burmese spinel but I know those are pretty hard to find these days.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I've a Burmese cushion which I chose solely because of the color. I wish I had waited; it is too small unless I halo it.
For some reason, I prefer the color to be slightly orange/red. I had a very hard time finding that color, also. Budget was a factor for me; I might still be waiting if I had held out for something larger in my price range.

flamestitch 2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I''ve seen on PS, the two best places to get a nice pink spinel at a fair price are.

ajsgems.com
swalagemtraders.com

multicolour.com has them as well, but I think the above two have a better selecton of hot pinks at the moment. What I like about Swala is that not only does he have the hot pinks, but they''re well cut.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2. One from AJS which was chosen soley on its color is a super bright neon pepto pink...lol. I had help on that one since I wanted something pink. It does have inclusions which kept the price down so for sure not first quality but good for every day wear for me. I can't see the inclusions unless the thing if 4 inches from my face so no biggie.

the 2nd which is from from mastercutgems is a Namya Burma Hot Pink Spinel thats just shy of 1ct. Its a lighter pink but not so pale that it would be unwearable for me.

I will absolutely admit I would love to get a bigger mahenge some day. Even if I stopped buying now, I still wouldn't be able to get the color and size and cut quality I want for a good 3-4 years. (unless I win the lottery or get me a sugar daddy)

I got my perfect "right now" stones. Some I've waited and saved pennies for, but some, well... it was a shiney stone, thats my only excuse.

-A

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh I like pepto pink in a gemstone. I''d love to see pics of that one.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
yes..some pics when you get it would be nice....def. check swala

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know that Lisa E had some very good rough from her trips. So your perfect stone is floating around somewhere. I did not get any of Lisa''s though (and she still has some rough - next would to be find a cutter that can afford to buy the lot). I have some Vietnamese pink/purple pieces myself, but most have whisker inclusions in them. I actually have a cut 6mm that is purple/pink in my demo box. It is the smallest novelty cut I have done to date in Cheshire II (modified for the scale). Cheshire is an unpolished cat face in a windowed stone. STRIKE OUT -> I realized that I don''t have a picture of it, so I will post one shortly. ADD-> I just took a picture and attached it. Sorry, no hot pink though.
2.gif

MrWhiskers.JPG

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Hey george...hey everyone..this is gsellis..aka. george..he taught me how to cut stones..he is also the one that cut that sweet JXR I had and a few other stones of mine..welcome to PS

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
35.gif
Welcome George!

Innerkitten - I would second the suggestions for using AJS or Swala. They seem to have a really good selection. Interestingly, even though I normally like Multicolour, their Spinels don''t seem to have the absolutely neon quality that AJS and Swala have. I''ve asked David to send me photos of certain Spinels in the past and they lack something.

If you''re looking for one that is tending towards red then it may prove a little more difficult but I can highly recommend the hot pink Mahenge spinels from AJS.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you check on the side of the forum in color, one may still be showing. it dosen''t look as pink as it usually does IRL which I found to be hard to capture.

-A

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 8:19:16 PM
Author: Pink Tower
I''ve a Burmese cushion which I chose solely because of the color. I wish I had waited; it is too small unless I halo it.

For some reason, I prefer the color to be slightly orange/red. I had a very hard time finding that color, also. Budget was a factor for me; I might still be waiting if I had held out for something larger in my price range.

That is a great colour. It reminds me of fruit punch.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''ve just been told this isn''t really the season to be looking for a mahenge spinel because of the rains.
What a bummer.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you are under a time constraint? It is the rainy season in Tanzania right now so mining is pretty much on hold at the moment but should resume in a few weeks/months. There are some custom cutters who still have Mahenge rough available.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
innerkitten - I got my nice pink and red spinels by just keeping my eyes open and pouncing the moment I saw a beautiful one. This is a great forum for being educated and prepared. I wasn''t expecting to ever own a Mahenge spinel, but when Gene suddenly decided to put one up on the Precision gem web site last July, it only took me moments to decide. I already knew the cutter, the price, and the color of the stone were great. The color has turned out to be wonderful in all lighting. I am really pleased.

Good luck to you. I would try to be patient for the right one to come along.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 12:27:57 PM
Author: Chrono
Sounds like you are under a time constraint? It is the rainy season in Tanzania right now so mining is pretty much on hold at the moment but should resume in a few weeks/months. There are some custom cutters who still have Mahenge rough available.

I guess I''ll just have to be patient :-/ and keep my eyes open. Yes it''s the rainy season over there right now.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Fly girl, I haven't asked him yet. Wonder if he has anymore? I remember yours really glowed :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
The other thing is I'm also on a bit of a budget.
Chrono, I guess the time thing isn't a huge issue but I'd wanted it by my birthday in June.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results