shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had to buy a fancy dress for a black tie dinner...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 1:03:55 PM
Author: canuk-gal
NM-0Q3W_mp.jpg

Similar look. NM.
I think this is good. I didn''t see it at NM though.

Just some extra info. I am 5''3" so I have to make sure I don''t choose something that accents my shortness or overpowers me. I am trying to lose about 7 pounds, although before this event, I will likely not lose it all. (love sweets too much).

I would like to look into the tanning (goodness knows I could use it), but I have tried to hold out until I am finished nursing around October. I am just not sure if it is safe with nursing.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and I have blonde hair and blue eyes. I think my best colors are blues and greens.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod31040191&parentId=cat3950734&masterId=cat000071&index=0&cmCat=cat000000cat000001cat000009cat000071cat3950734

This is pretty. Again, maybe too sexy?

Maybe I will take the camera with me when I go try stuff on and post pics and you guys can see. My husband will have to love it and feel really comfortable with what I choose since I am trying to essentially make HIM look good.

I feel like you all are right there with me. Normally, I wouldn''t even walk into Escada either. I went in one once in Palm Beach. For some reason, when you are on vacation, you can go into those intimidating places. I thought maybe St. John might have something nice but I saw nothing in NM.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NMT0MLJ_mp.jpg

Stunning dress.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NMT0MKD_mp.jpg

Another stunner.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NMT0DCU_mp.jpg

Green goddess.....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NMT0Q1L_mp.jpg

Another from NM. Hemline?????

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NMT0Q1Q_mp.jpg

Gorgeous--but I''d remove the "bustle".

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like you all are right there with me. Normally, I wouldn''t even walk into Escada either. I went in one once in Palm Beach. For some reason, when you are on vacation, you can go into those intimidating places. I thought maybe St. John might have something nice but I saw nothing in NM.
HI AF:

I have no doubt you''ll find something that is perfect for you. And it is exciting that you may be able to take advantage of the summer sales. TOTAL bonus. I just love when that happens.

Escada, like any other retailer, is just a shop. They are in business cater to you, not the other way around. BTW, they have great summer sales too!!!! (so much for all the presale pretension!!LOL)

BTW, if you find an outfit that is light colored, then accentuate it with some tasteful glittery jewellery that is your eye color.

cheers--Sharon

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 8:37:10 PM
Author: canuk-gal

HI AF:

I have no doubt you''ll find something that is perfect for you. And it is exciting that you may be able to take advantage of the summer sales. TOTAL bonus. I just love when that happens.

Escada, like any other retailer, is just a shop. They are in business cater to you, not the other way around. BTW, they have great summer sales too!!!! (so much for all the presale pretension!!LOL)

BTW, if you find an outfit that is light colored, then accentuate it with some tasteful glittery jewellery that is your eye color.

cheers--Sharon

I think a lovely blue or green or soft gold will compliment you and your coloring...and I like them with metallic sandals...silver or gold will work with blue or green and I love that look in the summer. I am sure you will look great!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love that black and white patterned one as it''s very soft and flowing looking...but they are all so fun!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Can''t wait to go try some more on.

I just have to figure out what to do about my hair. It all fell out a few months ago after my daughter was born. (For those of you who don''t have kids yet, this is what you get to look forward to). Now it is growing back and it looks absolutely awful.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yes, men do have it easy. The only thought for them is a cool pair of cufflinks.

Black tie for women is all over the board. I would try for something VERY simple. A dressy flirty black skirt (I bought the Ann Taylor one - all weather dressy crepe, lined, straight cut w/ a slight flare at the bottom). Pair it up with a simple dressy top & wear a wrap. The wrap could hide tummy flaws. Wear a great dressy pin. All eyes will be there! I have yet to wear a long dress to any of our black tie affairs. You can only wear it once & it''s so hard to find that perfect dress - plus someone else may be wearing it. Putting together your own outfit pretty much guarantees no duplicates - a real office deal killer! The other thing is a simple dressy cocktail dress in black w/ short sleeves. I, too, HATE myself in anything sleeveless. You could wear a dressy accessory in your favorite color. Scarfs & wraps are really big this season.

St John has some very nice stuff. I''ve always felt like I was trying to look older in their outfits though. Also, many fine department stores will have a dressy separates department.

The most important thing - make sure you are wearing the dress & the dress isn''t wearing you. Act confident that you look great.

Something that works for me - I usually always have a "dry run" to make sure I have the right undergarments, hose, shoes & most importantly Jewelry! This prevents meltdown & late arrival - plus it insures confidence that you look your best all together.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Canuk- what fab taste you have. That first D&G is awesome. I also love that black and white one!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/18/2006 10:39:58 PM
Author: moremoremore
Canuk- what fab taste you have. That first D&G is awesome. I also love that black and white one!
HI:

Thanks mmm for the compliment
emembarrassed.gif
! I love D & G and wear if as often as occsasion calls; the black and white choice was in fact AF--I just click and dragged the opened link she posted from NM!

cheers--Sharon

hfollett

Rough_Rock
I love the blue one ... and agree would remove the bustle. It is SO striking and different. Especially with a little bit of a tan.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 10:20:43 AM
Author: monarch64

Date: 6/13/2006 6:05:35 PM
Author:Allisonfaye
...where would you start? DH works for a large company that you have all heard of and they are having a black tie dinner. I have to look my best and make a good impression since this will probably be the first of more of these types of things and DH wants to advance in the company. These are people who make lots of $$ and can pretty much afford the best.

They said I can wear a cocktail dress, an evening gown or a dressie pantsuit. I don''t like to wear black, generally, because I have VERY fair skin and I think it washes me out. Any advice on where to start?
Is there any way you could find out what your DH''s higher-ups wives wore to the last black tie event? My logic is that they tell you to dress for the position you want to be in, not the one you ARE in, and to me that means both you and your DH need to follow that when you are at an event such as this.

I just checked out Nordstrom''s site...they always have a good selection of dresses, and some really pretty evening gowns. I understand you don''t want to wear black, so I''ll post a couple I thought might be appropriate...
I tried this one on but they only had a size 4. I was able to get it on but it was tight. I decided I would need an 8 and need to probably have it altered. Unfortunately, even the website doesn''t have an 8. Too bad. It felt great on.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I went and tried on some stuff by this designer, Marc Bouwer. None of it was as stunning as this stuff on the website though. Thought you might enjoy seeing.

http://www.marcbouwer.com/#slides

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results