shape
carat
color
clarity

If you give me your phone number, I''ll know where you live.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Got this today and thought I would pass it along. I tried it for my home phone number, and it did indeed list my address and a map to where I live. Thought it would be a concern for some of you. You''re still listed on a lot of white pages sites, but at least this is one less listing to worry about.

----

Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a

telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be

given the person''s name and address. If you then hit Map you will get

a map to the person''s house. Everyone should be aware of this! It''s a

nationwide reverse telephone book.

If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up

to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and

alarming!!!

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried

my number and it came up along with the mapquest and directions

straight to our house. I did fill out the removal form for myself, and

encourage all of you to do the same.

Please look up your own number!

In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: Google

(http://www.google.com/ ) Type your phone number in the search bar

(i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from

divulging your private information, simply click on your telephone

number and then click on the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours.

Check your own number and (although this may not apply to you if you

have an unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact).

It takes Sex Offenders right to your front door!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Super scary. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I know about this!
23.gif

Although I *have heard* that while removing your name definitely works, there is absolutely no provision for a relist so it can never, ever be re-done (listed again). Just something for people to think about who might have in-home businesses, or whatever.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is scary. especially now that i'm teaching my kindergarter to learn our addy and telephone #. now, i'll have to teach her so she knows it, but she's not allowed to tell anybody
32.gif

i just did my # and it says it cannot be found...whew..we're not listed in the phonebook though either..

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lots of people give out their phone number without even thinking about it. I see phone numbers printed on craigslist all the time! If it''s your home number...
23.gif

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting this, TGal.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 2:26:18 PM
Author: mrssalvo
that is scary. especially now that i''m teaching my kindergarter to learn our addy and telephone #. now, i''ll have to teach her so she knows it, but she''s not allowed to tell anybody
32.gif

i just did my # and it says it cannot be found...whew..we''re not listed in the phonebook though either..
Yeah, the next number we get, when we buy a house, is going to be an unlisted number. In this day and age, I see no reason to keep it listed. I think people who have had their numbers for a long time are the ones who have to worry a bit.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t get this at all..I typed in all our #''s and Google found no matches for any of them. I also tried my parents and grandma and again nothing. I''m using dashes and spaces but nothing? Maybe I''m doing it wrong?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks for posting this.
i looked up our number and surprise surprise! someone else is listed.
oh, and it's that other person's address too. i removed it anyway and clicked that the info was incorrect.

if our house rings, it's for that other person. and let me tell you, they must of had money issues.
lots of debt collectors calling! uber frustrating.
29.gif
however, as soon as i say they don't live at this number they say they'll remove our number from their records
20.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, if you have an unlisted number, it won''t come up. It''s only for people who are searchable by white pages, 411, etc. My work number doesn''t come up, but my home number does. Both are tied to my home address.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 2:34:05 PM
Author: jcrow
thanks for posting this.
i looked up our number and surprise surprise! someone else is listed.
if our house rings, it''s for that other person. and let me tell you, they must of had money issues.
lots of debt collectors calling! uber frustrating.
29.gif
however, as soon as i say they don''t live at this number they say they''ll remove our number from their records
20.gif
jcrow, I am getting the same thing with my alternate work number. That reminds me I have to call to get rid of it to stop the annoying calls.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
phew, it didn''t work for my number...it didn''t even know which state I was in.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing this! I have to remember to talk to my son about giving out phone numbers. Luckily, ours didn''t come up but I passed it along.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks TGal! Really good info. It didn''t work for me or DH, thankfully, but my parents info came up with the address and map link. I removed them.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
You think that is scary...you are on line...you have an IP address.

Did you know I can map right to your front door. Knock knock...it is § !!! I hope you don''t actuallly keep your diamond ring where you said you do.
6.gif

Now, don''t worry this site is well aware of that...and all measures are in place...you are safe. I have asked the admins...and all is cloaked.

But you venture out of a protected site such as this... and reveal those details...you might consider changing your MO. And a Doberman is a good idea. §

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yep. It worked perfectly on our home phone number. Map was perfect, too. I just submitted the form to have it removed.

Thanks for the heads'' up!!!

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 2:34:54 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Mara, if you have an unlisted number, it won''t come up. It''s only for people who are searchable by white pages, 411, etc. My work number doesn''t come up, but my home number does. Both are tied to my home address.
Guess who''s unlisted number popped up?
29.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 5:10:32 PM
Author: whatmeworry

Date: 1/25/2008 2:34:54 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Guess who''s unlisted number popped up?
29.gif
23.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
My number is unlisted but I used a made up name
26.gif
. My listing is unlisted...but my number isn''t. Just like the rest of yours.

This may help explain...

Unlisted just means not available in it''s complete form...Suzy Jones at 555-1212. But 555-1212 is still listed. It is still a valid consecutive number that follows another one that is listed. You can''t unlist a number...but a name with a number can be unlisted. Confusing huh?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m listed only by first initial and last name....no address. tried the phone number at google and 0 came up for me.

movie zombie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will you send me bling! if I do?

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
It is shocking how much information you can find on a person with just a name or a phone number through public search registries, websites, etc.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
This is nothing new. When it comes to the internet there are lots of ways through many websites you can find addresses, phone numbers even aerial views of a persons house.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I kind of like this. I can check out odd looking numbers on my cell bill and see who they are so I can figure out if I really called there. It could be scary, but it''s a two way street - you can also check out information that people give you and verify them. Not that bad really.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I tried it, but it didn''t work for me. I did see my phone number in one of the choices, but nothing else. I don''t know whether to heave a sigh of relief or not.
20.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CRAP. My name, phone number, and address showed up.
32.gif
I went ahead and completed the form.

My sister has in her past a stalker (someone we knew from school). Whenever she changed her cell phone he somehow got her new number. Basically it will never end. There was a period of time he was doing hang ups on our phone as well.
Sometimes I think there is way too much info on the internet.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting this. Ours isn''t listed, but, my sister''s was. This is pretty scary.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Want something scarier? Spokeo.com

Import your e-mail contact list, facebook/myspace account, etc. and spokeo will scour tons of sites to find your friend''s amazon activity, flickr photos, blog entries, etc. It''s insane!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
my number came up....but it had me in a different city....removed it anyway.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 8:33:07 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Luckily ours is not listed.

Check out
www.zabasearch.com It takes an act of God to get your name off of it, trust me.
29.gif
Holy cow, SDL! This is the only site I have ever found any of my information on! How on God''s green earth do I get it off???

Help, help, help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results